I'm really getting pissed off

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2012, 11:02 AM
RE: I'm really getting pissed off
I favor the way my parents taught me. Lots of facts from very early on, every question asked got the actual answer, and if it was over my head I still got out of it that there is a logical reason for everything.

Other than being spoonfed every fact under the sun, they let me believe what I wanted.

So for a few years I became a model catholic, then I got bored at church, upset at babies hanging in limbo and after reading the old testament along with a lot of fairy tale books I filed away the whole shebang and never went back to it.

Religion wasn't a topic at home, my parents never brought it up and I didn't either. It was irrelevant. My dad was an engineer and logical causes for stuff came up all the time. I grew up knowing that everything had a logical reason.

I am so glad my parents raised me that way. I got the curiosity about religion out of the way, I had fun with Christmas and the Easter bunny, and past the age of 10 I didn't believe any crap ever again. I had the best of all worlds, IMO.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
02-06-2012, 12:45 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2012 01:27 PM by ahoy.)
ok.. sorry, I deleted my post…. I thought it was about raising kids : )
02-06-2012, 01:16 PM
(02-06-2012 06:20 AM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  Where do I go from here? I'm still a closet Atheist, as I live in a religious community.
Aren't we all? Not closet atheists, but residents of religious communities I mean.

The story of your church isn't unique, and it's very sad. The main purpose of churches is to evangelize (charity is a secondary purpose) and so if they can't evangelize through charity, what's the point? Generally when a church sends food to starving Africans, they also send bibles and missionaries with the food. South Park did a great job of making fun of this practice, but it didn't change anything (because Christians generally don't watch South Park!) and so it continues today.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-06-2012, 07:51 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2012 07:58 PM by GirlyMan.)
(02-06-2012 06:20 AM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  I am now practicing what THEY preach. I love the religious people in my life, but hate the religion that poisions their soul.

Where do I go from here? I'm still a closet Atheist, as I live in a religious community.

Goddam FaceOfBoe, where's your ugly ass been. Big Grin Keep doing what you're doing and let go of the hate. Don't fix what ain't broke. Your son is smart enough to figure it out all by hisself. I don't despise religion, I see it as a metaphysical disease with a known cure which some just can't swallow or stomach. ... Meh, whatever.

(02-06-2012 06:47 AM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  My wife is somewhat religious; I believe out of rear of dying. She mentions waking up at night thinking about death being eternal blackness and she freaks out, which makes me think she doesn't truly believe.

Tells me she does believe, but not in some bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity. ... more like Love is Void. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
02-06-2012, 08:27 PM
"Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." - Yoda Smile
03-06-2012, 06:39 AM
(02-06-2012 07:51 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Goddam FaceOfBoe, where's your ugly ass been. Big Grin Keep doing what you're doing and let go of the hate. Don't fix what ain't broke. Your son is smart enough to figure it out all by hisself. I don't despise religion, I see it as a metaphysical disease with a known cure which some just can't swallow or stomach. ... Meh, whatever.

Well, I haven't been going to church, that's for sure. I've just been busy with grad school and such. Plus spring is a busy time at my Winter Solstice (xmas ) tree farm. Yes, I am an atheist Christmas Tree farmer. Go figure.

http://twotomstrees.com/

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes FaceOfBoe's post
03-06-2012, 10:45 AM
(02-06-2012 08:53 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Gotta partially disagree wiv ya there, earmuffs, m'old chum. Some kids, sure, Lego etc. but many are already becoming self-aware and thinking about existence / death etc. especially if they have experienced grief (or more likely, other people's grief).
The "why...", "because...", "why...", "because...", "why...", "because...", "why...", "because... IT JUST IS!" conversations are the give-away.

And Thomas is right to say...
(02-06-2012 07:11 AM)Thomas Wrote:  They are building their world view piece by piece. They pick up more than you think and sooner than you think.
FaceofBoe,
Try some bedtime stories about Greek / Roman / Norse / Jewish myths and why people used to believe they were true.
Just a thought.
Alright fair enough.
I guess there is only really one thing you can do to prevent all this...

[Image: 112_large.jpg]

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post