I'm scared :)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2017, 07:54 AM
I'm scared :)
Hello

I'm scared. I'm even scared to even utter I'm scared. All of my life, I thought I was a strong guy, I was known as a strong and brave one. but this frightening experience is something new for me. But before I get started. Let me reintroduce myself.

I'm a 34 year old ex muslim from Bangladesh. I left Islam and stopped believing in organized religion two years ago. In a third world country like BD, it is extremely difficult to live and survive as an atheist/agnostic. Since I left my religion, I almost lost all of my friends, my fiance and job. I got estranged with family. In this country, people can even get hacked, slaughtered, shot by the Islamists and get arrested and imprisoned for upto 14 years for expressing thoughts. Nobody's here to protect you. In fact, I'm quite lucky that I'm not dead yet. ... This is what I wrote on my introduction post in this forum.

However, that was only a gist. The situation is far more complicated than you can think of. This forum has many people from around the world, so I believe only a few people can relate to this situation and I also know some people won't even believe my story (and think I'm a liar).

Currently, Bangladesh's official estimated population is something like 163,187,000. But it is believed the population is way more than 170 million. more than 90% of the population are sunni muslims. the largest minorities are the hindus, around 8%. Rest of the 2% consists of Christians, Buddhists and other indigenous religions . Bangladesh is a secular democracy by constitution but in practice, it is nothing less than theocracy. Though Urban people enjoy somewhat religious freedom, however, in rural areas, Hindus (the largest minority) often get prosecuted and forceful conversions are quite common practice. Atheists, agnostics and other non-believers (who they call, Murtads) often get slaughtered or shot. In addition to this, ISIS has recently started its activities in Bangladesh and last year two major attack took place in Dhaka ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_2016_Dhaka_attack ) I won't go into details because you can always google it. You'll see how it is going in Bangladesh but the whole world is silent about it (or they simply have no clue)

A gigantic number of the Muslims in BD are extremists in nature. and most of the extremist islamists come from rural areas. The government is busy saving their power and corruption that they couldn't notice what went on for last three decades. Government doesn't give a flying f*** about the growing number of extremists since the government itself has came to power through a very controversial election held it 2014. They are quite preoccupied with saving their own asses. (but that's a story for another day)

Now, read carefully! Because what I'm gonna tell you is going to shock you! Maybe you've never heard something like this in your entire life. Let me ask you a simple question. Who's the best selling author of your country? OK, keep the answer to yourself. But how long did it take you to recall the name? a second or less than a second, at max maybe. It was the same for us. We always thought it would be Humayun Ahmed, Muhammad Zafar Iqbal or Humayun Azad. But recently, the entire nation got dumbfounded after an article published by the Daily Mail which revealed an extreme islamist writer called Kashem Bin Abu Bakar sold over 4 million books for last three decades (and let me mention that piracy is a big problem in Bangladesh and that was the number of original copies sold. The original number have to be far larger than that) and the mainstream media never had any clue. The link : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/art...adesh.html

While his wroks remained underground and sold as underground books and influenced millions of people for more than three decades; these books are full of hate speech, bigotry, preconceived ideas and extreme islamic values. and even more notoriously; in his own words, to gain more audience, this guy is using sexual content and justifying that making out (kissing and fondling) is allowed in Islam if they chant a few special Du'as before doing so (which is Haraam or forbidden in all the mainstream islamic practices). We have reasons to believe that his works were spread, used and/or even manipulated by Jamaat-e-Islami (an extreme right winged shariya based islamic political party which played a role in the creation of Islamic terrorist groups like Harkat-ul-Jihad, Jamat-ul-Muhajidin Bangladesh. and may have also played a significant role in bringing ISIS in this country) secretly to convert the moderate muslims into extremists. He is simply using the weakness of this sexually deprived young muslim audience and spreading these following messages through his books

# All the rich and affluent people are atheists and enemies of Islam
# Arts, Music, Movies are Judeo-Christian cultures. hence, it is forbidden and everyone should stay away from them
# Everyone should forsake the local culture and language (also English which is an International language) and adapt islamic culture and its language (Arabic, Farsi, Urdu)
# People should illegally cross the border and seek islamic knowledge from "religious leaders"
# People can even kill their parents, siblings and relatives in the way of "Jihaad"
# Muslims should start dating someone who is a non-muslim and non-practitioner and convert them to "true muslims"
# Enthusiastic promotion/propaganda of Tabligh and other extreme rituals ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablighi_Jamaat )

Recently, I have criticized his writings on facebook and highlighted how unbeknownst to the mainstream media and the secular population, this guy has created A GIGANTIC NUMBER of extremists through his writings. Though so many people have agreed with me but I am receiving constant death threats from Islamists and getting bullied. Even though I don't admit publicly of being an atheists (I'll be dead, trust me), but the threat still remains. Anyone who opposes them is an infidel and has to be killed. The government won't protect me. Even though they are not against the atheists, they wouldn't care much. My family has disowned me a long time ago since I have brought them shame by leaving Islam. I have a few good friends but if they help me, they will be in trouble as well. I don't want to put their life at risks because of me. I may lose my job and house. I really don't know what to do. Hell, I can't even leave this country right away since I have a few things left to do here. My situation is way more complicated than you think it is Smile

Once again, I just needed to let these things out. I'm sorry for the bad english since it is not my first language. I just wanted to say these things because if I die, people should know why I died Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like TheUnholy's post
01-05-2017, 08:09 AM
RE: I'm scared :)
Omg, I'm so sorry you're in the middle of all that danger. That sounds outright terrifying!

You are brave to speak up despite the immediate threat. Please, be careful! Hug Be safe. I don't know how to fight against that kind of extremism. I think the world is kind of at a loss in general for how to fight it. Obviously information- but even that has to reach an open audience. And that kind of extremism shuts down openness with fear and anger and bigotry. We see it to a much lesser degree is some right-wing Christian areas here in the US as well.

I hope you can get to safety, because it does sound like you are on your own until you can get somewhere less hostile. Best wishes, friend!
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
01-05-2017, 08:19 AM
Yeah, what everyone else has said in the other threads as well - you need to get out of there, unfinished business or no unfinished business. Better unfinished business than unfinished life.

Can't you go to Myanmar as a start? And then try to figure things out from there? Like sell your stuff (house, etc.) there and go some place where the majority of people are not stuck (willingly or not) in a vile, primitive pocket of the Middle Ages (if not earlier)?

Honestly, I've no idea how one can deal with something like this, other than by running for one's life. Literally.

(Your English is better than some native 'murican speakers)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
01-05-2017, 08:20 AM
(01-05-2017 08:09 AM)Emma Wrote:  Omg, I'm so sorry you're in the middle of all that danger. That sounds outright terrifying!

You are brave to speak up despite the immediate threat. Please, be careful! Hug Be safe. I don't know how to fight against that kind of extremism. I think the world is kind of at a loss in general for how to fight it. Obviously information- but even that has to reach an open audience. And that kind of extremism shuts down openness with fear and anger and bigotry. We see it to a much lesser degree is some right-wing Christian areas here in the US as well.

I hope you can get to safety, because it does sound like you are on your own until you can get somewhere less hostile. Best wishes, friend!

Thank you so much. means a lot Smile Hug
01-05-2017, 09:08 AM
(01-05-2017 07:54 AM)TheUnholy Wrote:  Bangladesh is a secular democracy by constitution but in practice, it is nothing less than theocracy.

What accounts for the resurgence of extremist Islam in Bangladesh? Propaganda is one thing, but it's always present. It must find some receptive people to influence them.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
01-05-2017, 10:55 AM
(01-05-2017 09:08 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(01-05-2017 07:54 AM)TheUnholy Wrote:  Bangladesh is a secular democracy by constitution but in practice, it is nothing less than theocracy.

What accounts for the resurgence of extremist Islam in Bangladesh? Propaganda is one thing, but it's always present. It must find some receptive people to influence them.

I have to write another long post if I have to answer this question. but in short, people of this country have always been religious but were mostly moderates. Historically, this part of the world weren't this extreme towards other beliefs and they lived quite peacefully for thousands of years. But it is after the independence from British empire and later from Pakistan, politicians used "religion" as a tool to gain more supporters and turned them against each other (Hindus and Muslims) which resulted in the creation of this violent environment
[+] 1 user Likes TheUnholy's post
01-05-2017, 11:08 AM
(01-05-2017 10:55 AM)TheUnholy Wrote:  
(01-05-2017 09:08 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  What accounts for the resurgence of extremist Islam in Bangladesh? Propaganda is one thing, but it's always present. It must find some receptive people to influence them.

I have to write another long post if I have to answer this question. but in short, people of this country have always been religious but were mostly moderates. Historically, this part of the world weren't this extreme towards other beliefs and they lived quite peacefully for thousands of years. But it is after the independence from British empire and later from Pakistan, politicians used "religion" as a tool to gain more supporters and turned them against each other (Hindus and Muslims) which resulted in the creation of this violent environment

Politics and religion are always a bad mix. You would think even very religious people would understand that by now.
01-05-2017, 11:28 AM
You're not alone.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 5 users Like Commonsensei's post
01-05-2017, 01:35 PM
(01-05-2017 11:28 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  You're not alone.

Thank you. I love AronRa Smile
[+] 1 user Likes TheUnholy's post
01-05-2017, 01:49 PM
I'm scared
I have no idea what to tell you. What a horrible situation.