I'm scared i'm going to hell for being "me"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2017, 02:51 PM
RE: I'm scared i'm going to hell for being "me"
Midnightstar, my daughter is transgender. She's not going to hell.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
19-02-2017, 07:58 PM
Pascale's Wager Done Right

- If there's no God then there's no hell. No worries.

- If there is a sane God then there's no hell. Sane deities don't torture souls for eternity because they did what He made them to do. No worries. Concentrate on being a decent person.

- If there is a biblically literal lunatic God then you're probably going to hell. On the bright side, so is everybody else and it's probably the better location. Heaven and Hell will be distinguishable only by the finest forensic analysis and at least in hell you won't have to spend Eternity singing that bastard's praises.

Let me put this another way. I'm a vanilla, straight, cis-gender, white male who grew up with Reagan-era "family values". I figure that people are people, regardless of whether they're trans people, gay people, black people, short people, Irish people, etc... Everything that comes before "people" is just a modifier and the least important part. On my darkest day I am less of a judgemental bastard and raging jack-ass than the "Deity" you describe. What does that say about the "morality" or "God"? It tells me that He's a complete failure as a Deity. And you're worried that you might not spend Eternity with this AllMighty Sonofabitch?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
19-02-2017, 08:23 PM
(19-02-2017 12:07 PM)Midnightstar Wrote:  While i'm seriously hoping who i am as a person isn't going to turn into a debate

No worries. First of all the Personal Issues and Support section is a safe zone. See the Code of Conduct at the entrance to this section. Anybody being judgemental in here will face the wrath of Mod. The whole point of this section of the forum is that you can seek help without that sort of rubbish.

If it's being transgender that you're worried about, don't. Even if this wasn't a protected area you wouldn't have a problem. There are a few other members of the forum who are trans, some of the long-time members who are well-liked. You can read the threads below where they came out. It was a non-issue, which is the way it ought to be.

If it's being religious (are you?), then don't. If you haven't preached at us then we're all good. We have a few resident theists who are very cool people and any number of jack-ass atheists who have been shown the door so fast it blew their hats off. Whether you're an interesting person matters a whole lot more around here than what you do with your Sunday mornings.

Regardless, I can't imagine this becoming a debate about you even if there wasn't a ban-hammer hanging over the doorway.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
20-02-2017, 12:01 AM
As Mathilda (and a few others) said, the key to getting rid of this fear of Hell that has been instilled (programmed) into you is to learn the history of Hell, as a concept.

Look at legitimate, scholarly articles written on how the concept of Hell isn't even in the Bible--it's based on a Norse word and poorly translated into English from Aramaic and Greek phrases that didn't mean quite what we mean when we say it in English--but was added on from bits of other religions, just as the Christians did with incorporating other things into the culture of Christianity.

You've been fooled.

Hell has as much to do with actual Christianity as decorating a Christmas evergreen tree (a pagan ceremony for the winter solstice holiday of Yule), giving presents, caroling, and feasting for several days (a Roman solstice holiday called Saturnalia), and the holiday full of fertility symbols like eggs and rabbits that's supposedly to commemorate the resurrection of Jesus (it's actually named Easter after Ostara, or Oestre, a pagan fertility/sex goddess)... and many, many more examples.

It's what Christians did-- they stole what worked.

Now it terrorizes millions into being unable to question their faith, or accept who they or their family members are. It's shameful... but the biggest shame of all is that it's made up, and we can prove it.

I hope you learn what you need, and get the help you need.

And as others already said, no judgment here. If you're not here to preach at us, we don't care if you're a purple, six-gendered alien Xarthrax worshiper from Rigel II. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
20-02-2017, 12:30 AM
What kind of pathetic God would be so enraged by someone being transgender that they feel the need to torture them? Such mindless bigotry is pathetic even for a human, let alone this supposedly supreme, enlightened, loving being.

Some people can't cope with others being different to them, so they say "God doesn't like it". It saves them having to think of any actual reasons for their hate.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
20-02-2017, 03:13 AM
If there was a hell, that means there would be God, right? And if there is God, then she 'made you'? Why would God punish you for how she made you?

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes ukatheist's post
20-02-2017, 03:16 AM

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
20-02-2017, 04:20 AM
I come from a religious background, and I too have feared hell. There is no concrete evidence which demonstrates that it exists. Think about how stupid this is:
God creates people
He gives them specific traits that make them unique. Some people may be into philosophy, others into sports
some people are straight, others are gay, others are transsexual, some are asexual, the list goes on.
Some people are male, others are female
some people commit deeds that are worse than others
In a nutshell, God creates a person's characteristics, then punishes them for having those characteristics.
Also, if God is all knowing, then it was known since the beginning of time that person X would have particular characteristics, and that they would end up in hell, so what would be the point of their life?
Looking at it from these perspectives makes the whole idea absurd.
Because I grew up with a religious mindset, I still have irrational fear from time to time. It is normal, and don't beat yourself up for it.
Take a deep breath, you will not go to hell :-) Mark my words.
Best of luck to you,
Mirek Smile
[+] 4 users Like Mirek-Polska's post
20-02-2017, 04:27 AM
First of all, congratulations and hugs for two things!
It is so awesome that you have the courage to be who you are! It is incredibly difficult to come out as transgender in a world so full of prejudice, so telling people who you are, even if it's just on a forum, is a big and admirable step!
Second, you can be proud of telling people that you have a problem with writing. Many people do, and it's nothing to be ashamed off. Your post is perfectly readable by the way.
You are a great example of someone showing the world what's right!

Anyway. The fear of Hell is something many of us have struggled, and struggle, with! Something that has been drilled into your head through religious indoctrination is very, very hard to get rid of!
For me it's helped a lot to learn a bit about the history of the Bible and Christianity. The world and culture it developed in and the strong influence from other religions of the time.
For this I personally enjoy The Bible Skeptic:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWz034J...vFw3c2vZjQ
He also have en incredibly soothing voice! Haha

Good luck. I hope you feel better. I, and a lot of other people here, are always available if you need someone to talk to.

I hope you feel better soon and am proud of who you are Smile

Hug

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
[+] 2 users Like LadyDay's post
20-02-2017, 07:20 AM
I commend you for asking around here instead of at a church.

Hell is obviously fictitious but others have made that point better than I can.

https://youtu.be/x1xmXOP3lhM

Video link:
If There's Hell Below... Curtis Mayfield

Cool song
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post