I'm scared i'm going to hell for being "me"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2017, 07:37 AM
RE: I'm scared i'm going to hell for being "me"
G'day Midnightstar, and welcome to TTA. Smile

I don't have any words of wisdom ATM—the other guys have said most of it—but I do hope you find meaningful answers to some of your questions here.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2017, 08:20 AM
Here's the info:

The "hell" in the Old Testament is different from the "hell" in the New Testament. This is because Jews/Christians adopted the idea of light/dark and good/evil from the Zoroastrians (a neighboring group of people who had their own deity and religious beliefs). The Zoroastrians were very skilled at conquering things, which is why Christians adopted some of their beliefs. The idea was that if the Zoroastrians are such skilled conquerors, they must have the right deity/set of beliefs.

Richard Carrier explains this further. At the 2:45 mark...

A great documentary on the devil/hell at 4:45 mark for origins in Zoroastrianism and Greek mythology:

Jewish version of hell (OT) different from Christian version (NT):

20-02-2017, 08:33 AM
Additionally, I think it was Inquisition who posted a really good video (maybe he can post it again) talking about how hell and torture can't exist. In order to be tortured or feel pain, you need a nerve ending to sense the stimulus, the nerve then signals the brain, the brain receives signal and then acts accordingly (Ow, stove is hot, remove hand for example). When you die, obviously the body dies. No more nerve endings to sense pain. It would be kind of hard to torture you for eternity without those if you were just a soul bubble floating around the underworld Wink
20-02-2017, 08:34 AM
Hi there, welcome to TTA. Please don't worry, hell is a manufactured concept designed to control individuals and keep them inline with the theology that they are subscribed to. Fiery torment has been chosen simply because death by burning is probably the number one death scenario that people are afraid of most, if you couple that level of pain with the concept of eternity then you are on to a winner for keeping people inline with fear. Any deity that would torture anyone for eternity no matter how bad they are is a monster not a god.
Be patient with yourself, it took time to indoctrinate you to the point you are at now and its going to take time to become un indoctrinated. You're trans and that's a difficult road to travel but most people here are open minded non judgemental and supportive, I hope you will find your stay here rewarding and educational. All the best to you. Hug
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
20-02-2017, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2017 09:57 AM by kim.)
Slow down your thinking there, Midnightstar - stop your mind from racing. When your mind races around, it just finds and clings to things that don't make sense.

The nutshell version:
Hell was created to keep certain people in power and keep everyone else terrified if they get any ideas that don't go along with the people in power.
Boom.
That's it. That's all. It's all been made up.

God was made up, too.
The "god story" is a kind of over all story, made up to explain stuff that couldn't be explained... like thunder and wind. The god story was made up to explain bad things and good things so people wouldn't freak out when something happened but, continue to work together and get along with life. In other words: the god story pacified and controlled the masses.

It's always about control. Dodgy

You Midnightstar, are beautiful. You are creating the most unique creature possible.
You are creating your SELF ... and only YOU control you.
Never stop thinking that.
Only you control you.
Repeat it over and over and this continual repetition will convince your mind that you are your own truth.

I know - it sounds too simple. It is simple. It's as simple and as complex as you are.
Let's look at it scientifically ....

Heart

Oh hey ... Welcome back to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
20-02-2017, 10:51 AM
(20-02-2017 09:27 AM)kim Wrote:  Oh hey ... Welcome back to the forum. Smile

You have learned well grass hopper.

#sigh
20-02-2017, 12:09 PM
(19-02-2017 12:07 PM)Midnightstar Wrote:  and why i won't burn but that's probably me over thinking and i'm known for over thinking.

Think about this. Why do we punish people, why do we lock them up?

I think we lock people because they are a threat.

Are trans people a threat?
If there was an all powerful god, would anyone be a threat to that?
There would be no need for punishment or hell. Unless the god enjoyed torturing people.Why limit torture to trans people, why not just torture everyone?
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
20-02-2017, 12:17 PM
(19-02-2017 12:07 PM)Midnightstar Wrote:  Although i know why this fear has returned is because i'm scared that sense i am Transgender that i'm going to burn.

Maybe religion isn't at the core of this issue. Maybe it's that you are not yet comfortable with yourself being trans.

Could be that your fear will go away if you spend time with other trans people and chatting about how you feel, like a trans support group.

You have to like yourself, be proud of who you are. Quite possibly your phobia will then fall by the way side.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
20-02-2017, 02:54 PM
(19-02-2017 01:23 PM)frankiej Wrote:  It doesn't sound like anything we say here will subdue your fear. You said yourself that this fear is irrational, have you spoken to a therapist about it? I feel like that might yield better results than folk here telling you not to worry, because hell doesn't exist.

Well, they are helping so far so i'd disagree
just because irrational fears happen don't mean it can't be solved.
20-02-2017, 03:03 PM
(20-02-2017 12:17 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(19-02-2017 12:07 PM)Midnightstar Wrote:  Although i know why this fear has returned is because i'm scared that sense i am Transgender that i'm going to burn.

Maybe religion isn't at the core of this issue. Maybe it's that you are not yet comfortable with yourself being trans.

Could be that your fear will go away if you spend time with other trans people and chatting about how you feel, like a trans support group.

You have to like yourself, be proud of who you are. Quite possibly your phobia will then fall by the way side.

I have been on many support groups i believe i mentioned this above but i could be wrong. Although i think there are a couple things playing apart in this at the moment
actually so far a lot of these comments have been helping and i believe its because
sometimes i just need to correct words for something to click into my head i tend to be a slow learner and sometimes it takes a certain way of putting something for me to completely grasp what the problem is and fix it.