I'm scared i made a mistake

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2014, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2014 09:26 AM by Autumnflowers.)
So me and my cousin was talking to each other and first understand i'm a very honest person and refuse to lie. I admitted and i said look i don't read the bible, but i never believed in the bibles story's. I have listened to it's words when i was a child.
I also stated to her that iv'e had experiences that some consider to be a deity, and i question them experiences. However i'm unsure it is a deity, it could be anything. And being agnostic i don't know.

I want to have another experience talking with somebody at church. I want to hear the churches views on my experiences. And i wish to talk to them about how they think.
I told her I'm not going to lie and say i want everyone to know i'm going to church because i don't. I'm only wanting to go to listen to something i only listened to ask a kid. Now that i'm wanting to go back with a open mind but also having the ability to think for myself. That experience of a church i do want to have again.
However it don't mean i will believe in the end and it don't mean anything, it just means i want to look into it more. I want to learn about this stuff. Problem is my cousin said shortly after she'd get her mom to bring me and that she believes i'm wanting to" find god". That's "not what i intended and i tried explaining, i'm not on anyone's side" I'm just questioning more then i was interested in questioning as a child.

I want to hear what others think and state what i think also.
As i always have. Maybe i shouldn't have reached out and told her all that but shes very close to me even if she is religious. As kids we hung out all the time she was my only friend i had. I just didn't think about how that would appear to a christian completely. And in the same sense i didn't know who else to ask...........i felt kinda stuck...............my question is was what i said a horrible mistake? Was my honesty the end to people thinking i'm logical?
I don't want them thinking i'm religions or non religious! i'm just wanting to learn and think on my own. On any and every side i can find in my life. I'm a thinker and i also love "facts". Is wrong to admit to somebody that you still wish to adventure into, no facts? due to your own experiences however you "don't know for sure if you believe anything without facts?" Is it wrong to want to go back to question, to experiences? i don't want to be "labeled". or shamed if i say i don't believe because i don't think i do believe or will believe in their teachings.
She said i wouldn't be, but i'm scared of what they think now.

I do have a disorder that makes me fear judgment but i also fear i made a mistake. What i'm saying is i fear somebody thinking i'm admitting being a believer when actually that's not what i'm doing. I only want a chance to think on my own to do that i have to learn about religion and what i feel isn't correct. Problem is i feel i made a mistake talking to her about this that's my problem.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2014, 09:01 AM
RE: I'm scared i made a mistake
<moved to Issues & Support section>

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
17-12-2014, 09:02 AM
(17-12-2014 09:01 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  <moved to Issues & Support section>
My bad i thought it was inside of that maybe i miss clicked?
17-12-2014, 09:05 AM
No problemo seƱorita.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
17-12-2014, 09:05 AM
Blink
run on sentences, run on thoughts, no paragraphs, eeek!

what I think your stated problem is that you have questions on some things, you want to ask someone at church to clarify something you heard as a child, you discussed it with your cousin? Now you are feeling that they might be wrong about your agnostic stance?

is that correct?

Just explain that you have some questions and you are seeking answers.

I feel like you are making this way more dramatic than it needs to be, just be honest and up front and then there shouldnt be any misconceptions about why you are asking.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
17-12-2014, 09:13 AM
(17-12-2014 09:05 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Blink

what I think your stated problem is that you have questions on some things, you want to ask someone at church to clarify something you heard as a child, you discussed it with your cousin? Now you are feeling that they might be wrong about your agnostic stance?

is that correct?

I feel like you are making this way more dramatic than it needs to be, just be honest and up front and then there shouldnt be any misconceptions about why you are asking.

No i'm agnostic for sure, hold on a little and i can try to fix this up but without my program i can't do much sorry.
17-12-2014, 09:28 AM
I tried re-reading the OP.

Maybe this time I will get the problem right.

You want to attend church to listen and question, not to worship as a believer would. As an adult you want to hear the sermon, and think it over and reach your own conclusion?

I don't see any problems attending church just for an educational benefit. I would even suggest visiting churches/temples of a variety of faiths.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
17-12-2014, 09:28 AM
(17-12-2014 09:05 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Blink

is that correct?

What i'm saying is i fear somebody thinking i'm admitting being a believer when actually that's not what i'm doing. I only want a chance to think on my own to do that i have to learn about religion and what i feel isn't correct. Problem is i feel i made a mistake talking to her about this that's my problem. I edited it the best i could and put this into it also.
17-12-2014, 09:31 AM
(17-12-2014 09:28 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I tried re-reading the OP.

Maybe this time I will get the problem right.

You want to attend church to listen and question, not to worship as a believer would. As an adult you want to hear the sermon, and think it over and reach your own conclusion?

I don't see any problems attending church just for an educational benefit. I would even suggest visiting churches/temples of a variety of faiths.
Yes that's what i'm saying Smile Problem is i fear i told the wrong person and that word will spread that i want to believe when i don't know yet.
Or that i'll be shunned or worse. I'm actually really scared of what i admitted to a christian even if me and her are related i'm scared i'll be token the wrong way.
17-12-2014, 10:46 AM
(17-12-2014 09:28 AM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  What i'm saying is i fear somebody thinking i'm admitting being a believer when actually that's not what i'm doing.

You can't control how others interpret your words and actions. You also don't automatically owe them an explanation of your inner thoughts. As long as you are being honest in what you say you aren't in the wrong. If they misconstrue it that's their problem.

Relax. Go to the services and listen. Think about the claims being made and what reasons they have for making those claims. Decide for yourself what you believe.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post