I'm scared i made a mistake

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2014, 11:48 AM
RE: I'm scared i made a mistake
I'd also recommend just reading the bible in its entirety. You'll get the whole picture, and not just the cherry picked bits and ill wrought 'paraphrasing' that gives it a nicer veneer.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Autum, it is never wrong to be who you are. I wouldn't look too much into the whole "they think I'm looking and I am not sure if I really am" thought. The reality is that pretty much ALL christians I have ever known think that non-believers are secretly looking for god, and it is THEIR version of god that they want you to find.

I agree, go and hear what they have to say. If knowledge is what you want, than go get that knowledge. At least they will have a harder time saying you didn't hear them out although to be honest, they will always think that you just didn't "hear the right thing". If I had a nickel for every time I was told that.....

It is scary coming out of your shell, I would wager that we all have felt scared about it at one time. It is a big deal to go against the grain. Stay strong my friend!! Hug

Reading the bible in it's entirety is also a good suggestion, I just hope you aren't squeamish about blood and guts.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
18-12-2014, 06:53 AM
(17-12-2014 09:12 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Autum, it is never wrong to be who you are. I wouldn't look too much into the whole "they think I'm looking and I am not sure if I really am" thought. The reality is that pretty much ALL christians I have ever known think that non-believers are secretly looking for god, and it is THEIR version of god that they want you to find.

I agree, go and hear what they have to say. If knowledge is what you want, than go get that knowledge. At least they will have a harder time saying you didn't hear them out although to be honest, they will always think that you just didn't "hear the right thing". If I had a nickel for every time I was told that.....

It is scary coming out of your shell, I would wager that we all have felt scared about it at one time. It is a big deal to go against the grain. Stay strong my friend!! Hug

Reading the bible in it's entirety is also a good suggestion, I just hope you aren't squeamish about blood and guts.

Thumbsup I'm planning to i'm just trying to figure out a way to do this without anyone knowing. I don't feel comfortable with anybody, not even my cousin who i talked to about it at the time i guess its because of the response. But that's hard it's like saying i could go but to a unknown place...and being honest what do i do? i know i'll say the truth without even thinking i'll say i'm just here to listen not believe.
And x.x would they kick your ass out? i guess i fear silly things.
18-12-2014, 08:50 AM
(18-12-2014 06:53 AM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  Thumbsup I'm planning to i'm just trying to figure out a way to do this without anyone knowing. I don't feel comfortable with anybody, not even my cousin who i talked to about it at the time i guess its because of the response. But that's hard it's like saying i could go but to a unknown place...and being honest what do i do? i know i'll say the truth without even thinking i'll say i'm just here to listen not believe.
And x.x would they kick your ass out? i guess i fear silly things.

Not silly at all actually. We have all been there at one time or another. My evolution scared the hell out of me and I had it fairly easy compared to many people here from the stories I have read.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
18-12-2014, 09:39 AM
would they kick you out of church?

very, very unlikely, unless you are being obnoxiously disruptive, rude, destructive.

They have a warm body in the seat looking to hear what they have to say, they are only hoping you will share some of what is in your wallet so you can be saved.

non believers are always welcome they are fresh meat because the membership always has to grow. If they can convince a non believer into being a paying believer the church stays afloat.

Many churches have figured out that preschool/afterschool and daycare programs are a great income stream, and parents feel like they are leaving their kids in a safe place.

its all about keeping the doors open.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
18-12-2014, 10:25 AM
(18-12-2014 09:39 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  would they kick you out of church?

very, very unlikely, unless you are being obnoxiously disruptive, rude, destructive.

They have a warm body in the seat looking to hear what they have to say, they are only hoping you will share some of what is in your wallet so you can be saved.

non believers are always welcome they are fresh meat because the membership always has to grow. If they can convince a non believer into being a paying believer the church stays afloat.

Many churches have figured out that preschool/afterschool and daycare programs are a great income stream, and parents feel like they are leaving their kids in a safe place.

its all about keeping the doors open.

Very true, the thing is though that i don't think i would i maybe would question more for a while but iv'e read "parts of the bible" and i'll tell you DAMN and they don't want there children watching scary movies but they teach um this?! Big Grin
18-12-2014, 10:28 AM
(17-12-2014 11:48 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I'd also recommend just reading the bible in its entirety. You'll get the whole picture, and not just the cherry picked bits and ill wrought 'paraphrasing' that gives it a nicer veneer.

What version and do you know of any audio books that just read it how it is without the opinions? i have trouble interpreting things without hearing it.
18-12-2014, 11:06 AM
(18-12-2014 10:25 AM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  Very true, the thing is though that i don't think i would i maybe would question more for a while but iv'e read "parts of the bible" and i'll tell you DAMN and they don't want there children watching scary movies but they teach um this?! Big Grin

But they don't teach them that. They read the nice, happy parts and they gloss over any messy bits. The ark was full of bunnies and kittens and puppies and nevermind that the rest of the world died a horrible death by drowning because god couldn't get things right or come up with a better way to push the reset button.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
18-12-2014, 11:08 AM
(18-12-2014 10:28 AM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  
(17-12-2014 11:48 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I'd also recommend just reading the bible in its entirety. You'll get the whole picture, and not just the cherry picked bits and ill wrought 'paraphrasing' that gives it a nicer veneer.

What version and do you know of any audio books that just read it how it is without the opinions? i have trouble interpreting things without hearing it.

The skeptics Annotated bible , but I have no idea if there is an audio version of that.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
18-12-2014, 01:58 PM
If God doesn't like your motives, let him tell you to leave.