I'm scared of hell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2014, 04:43 AM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2014 04:48 AM by Autumnflowers.)
I'm scared of hell
I'm scared and i haven't found a person who can yet stop and help me.
Every time i tell somebody i'm still scared of hell they find it funny.
But it's not funny because i feel like if i say "I do or don't believe for sure i'll go to hell"
my cousin scared me so bad one night saying "Why take the chance of going to hell?"
I just feel like if i'm "Wrong" if i make one "Mistake" i'll burn forever.
I don't know how to cope with it.
As a kid i went to church with my cousins, my parents allowed me to pick my own path and they new i was skeptic so they'd always say "Why don't you just stay home" (Note: My parents where religious)
Well because my cousins where always there and i had no friends at the time, they where my friends. And there mother was so strongly religious i hardly ever got to hang out with them outside of there church. So i'd go to see them and of course the free snacks what kid wouldn't? But because i still saw them outside of it my parent's didn't understand my point. I used to get to angry and scream running out of the church building because all i wanted was somebody to play with somebody to understand me when it felt like nobody did. I didn't want to pray i didn't want to sit down and listen to a hour long speech about Jesus. Maybe i was just a ignorant kid i'm not sure. To my parents it was about "Do it for respect"
i still didn't want to pray, i didn't want to sit there...i didn't believe in it i guess now that i'm older i'd respect the environment more though. However i till this very day wouldn't pray i wouldn't stand or sing it feels odd to me i just don't feel like that is "ME" because of this i got problems. I fear hell, i fear it so bad i can't get out of saying i'm agnostic. How can i help myself? Have others felt like this because every atheist I've asked so far has told me they never did. I feel "alone"
(Sorry for the spelling mistakes i attempted to do my best)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2014, 05:13 AM
RE: I'm scared of hell
First and foremost: You're not alone. I'll respond to the other parts in another post, cause it's already in tl;dr territory.

It's certainly been a fear of mine - I was afraid I was going to hell even when I was a Christian. The Bible references so many ways for a soul to perish that it makes the head spin. When I was a teen, our church did "Judgement House" for Halloween. When I was a Freshman, I was one of the leads. Several thousand people attend over 3 days, walking through the different scenes like a haunted house.

The story was of a young girl Courtney that liked to party and her Christian friend that got saved and tried to show her error of her ways. Courtney goes to a party with underage drinking and then drives drunk. Courtney crashes her car into saved friend's car, and they both die. The group is lead outside to see the real wrecked cars with shattered glass and fake blood, fire truck and police car with lights flashing, and the ambulance with the gurney and body bags, and the kids parents screaming and crying. Next you go to the funeral where you see Courtney and friend in their caskets, and then.... The Judgement. Courtney wasn't saved "Your name is not written in the Book of Life" so she is dragged away by men cloaked in black. Her friend goes to heaven "Well done, my good and faithful servant." Next you get to go to a room set up like hell - dark and hot, and LOTs of screaming (the youth group assigned to hell always lost their voices by the last day). After you go to hell, you're taken to heaven where the temperature is 68F, the room is decorated in white with Greek columns, there are members of the youth group smiling and wearing angel wings, beautiful Christian music pulling at your heart strings in the background, and a guy with a real beard that looks like Jesus. Jesus goes up to every person in the group and tells them welcome and that he loves them, and most of the group will cry. Afterwards, you're taken back to the main sanctuary where you discuss getting right with god and getting saved and pray to let Jesus enter your heart.

That was 15 years ago. I was driving to work the other day, and one of the nine inch nail songs reminded me of it (some churches will play really creepy music in their hell scenes - I had to go to a bunch of them over the years). It made me anxious, despite the fact there is no rational basis to believe hell even exists. I just reminded myself of that, changed the song, took a deep breath, and felt better. It gets easier with time. Indoctrination is a bitch to get past.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 5 users Like Nurse's post
11-12-2014, 05:21 AM
(11-12-2014 05:13 AM)Nurse Wrote:  First and foremost: You're not alone. I'll respond to the other parts in another post, cause it's already in tl;dr territory.

It's certainly been a fear of mine - I was afraid I was going to hell even when I was a Christian. The Bible references so many ways for a soul to perish that it makes the head spin. When I was a teen, our church did "Judgement House" for Halloween. When I was a Freshman, I was one of the leads. Several thousand people attend over 3 days, walking through the different scenes like a haunted house.

The story was of a young girl Courtney that liked to party and her Christian friend that got saved and tried to show her error of her ways. Courtney goes to a party with underage drinking and then drives drunk. Courtney crashes her car into saved friend's car, and they both die. The group is lead outside to see the real wrecked cars with shattered glass and fake blood, fire truck and police car with lights flashing, and the ambulance with the gurney and body bags, and the kids parents screaming and crying. Next you go to the funeral where you see Courtney and friend in their caskets, and then.... The Judgement. Courtney wasn't saved "Your name is not written in the Book of Life" so she is dragged away by men cloaked in black. Her friend goes to heaven "Well done, my good and faithful servant." Next you get to go to a room set up like hell - dark and hot, and LOTs of screaming (the youth group assigned to hell always lost their voices by the last day). After you go to hell, you're taken to heaven where the temperature is 68F, the room is decorated in white with Greek columns, there are members of the youth group smiling and wearing angel wings, beautiful Christian music pulling at your heart strings in the background, and a guy with a real beard that looks like Jesus. Jesus goes up to every person in the group and tells them welcome and that he loves them, and most of the group will cry. Afterwards, you're taken back to the main sanctuary where you discuss getting right with god and getting saved and pray to let Jesus enter your heart.

That was 15 years ago. I was driving to work the other day, and one of the nine inch nail songs reminded me of it (some churches will play really creepy music in their hell scenes - I had to go to a bunch of them over the years). It made me anxious, despite the fact there is no rational basis to believe hell even exists. I just reminded myself of that, changed the song, took a deep breath, and felt better. It gets easier with time. Indoctrination is a bitch to get past.

The story about the girl and the car made me so angry why would somebody say that to anybody?! all because the girl made a mistake that's sad they'd say she would go to hell. And damaging.
It's nice to know somebody had that fear to at one point.
11-12-2014, 05:27 AM
How do I get past the fear?

Well, my deconversion story is quite long, because the process took YEARS. Once you get to the point where you identify that the Bible doesn't hold any credence, accept that it was written over 2000 years ago by bronze aged goat herders that had very little scientific knowledge and used "God" to explain the world around them, as well as to justify genocide/rape/slavery/misogyny....... well, you come to realize that its assertions of hell are as baseless as the assertion of an omnipotent, omnipresent, omnibenevolent sky fairy that will eternally torture humans for finite sins.

That's a giant run on sentence meaning: there is no god, there is no heaven, there is no hell.

There is life - live it to the fullest, embrace it, as this is all you get. When you die, it will be no different to you than before you were born.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
11-12-2014, 05:35 AM
(11-12-2014 05:27 AM)Nurse Wrote:  How do I get past the fear?

Well, my deconversion story is quite long, because the process took YEARS. Once you get to the point where you identify that the Bible doesn't hold any credence, accept that it was written over 2000 years ago by bronze aged goat herders that had very little scientific knowledge and used "God" to explain the world around them, as well as to justify genocide/rape/slavery/misogyny....... well, you come to realize that its assertions of hell are as baseless as the assertion of an omnipotent, omnipresent, omnibenevolent sky fairy that will eternally torture humans for finite sins.

That's a giant run on sentence meaning: there is no god, there is no heaven, there is no hell.

There is life - live it to the fullest, embrace it, as this is all you get. When you die, it will be no different to you than before you were born.

I don't believe that there is nothing when you die, however i don't believe in god or gods. I know, i know, sounds silly however i have my reasons.
But i feel guilty other then when i was a kid i never read the bible, it freaks me out and i don't want to fall into it's manipulation tactics. However i was always skeptic, always loved science and it made me think, oh i loved it very first day i heard the word science i was in love. I agree i'll hold onto your words, about hell and heaven.
It's always nice to talk with a person who gets the same things to a point.
But i still have a lot to work on with fear and i'm a little guilty
i mean i never read it, i just think back to the Noah's ark story i loved animals as a kid but even with that my face was like Laughat wtf how is that possible!!!
[+] 1 user Likes Autumnflowers's post
11-12-2014, 05:42 AM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2014 05:54 AM by Nurse.)
Quote:...because i feel like if i say "I do or don't believe for sure i'll go to hell"
my cousin scared me so bad one night saying "Why take the chance of going to hell?"

This is Pascal's Wager. Which god/religion is the right god/religion? There are thousands to choose from.

I didn't "choose" to stop believing in God, just like I didn't choose to stop believing in Santa or the tooth fairy. I sat down, read my bible and logically concluded it was a pile of irrational, poorly written horseshit. Let's presuppose for a moment that the Baptist version of the Christian god exists - don't you think he'd know that you're going through the motions but don't really believe? It's like forcing yourself to be in love with someone when you just don't feel it. I tried for YEARS to hang onto my faith. I'm married to a Christian, my entire family (with the exception of my brother) is Christian, my in laws are Christian. Just to come out of the closet would be a great sacrifice, but I can't force myself to believe it. There's no going back for me. Honestly, I worry a whole lot less now about hell than I did before. In that sense, it's a huge relief.

Edit: typo and to add a comma

[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
11-12-2014, 05:48 AM
Which hell? and whose concept of hell or an afterlife?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
11-12-2014, 06:06 AM
I am being totally serious here, not making fun of you at all. If you are having these intense feelings it can be a sign of stress and or mental health issues. It is nothing to be ashamed of, but considering this may help you find psychological help.

There is no reason in reality to be afraid of a fictional place. It would be like being afraid of Lex Luther. You don't fear your non existence before you were born, so the fear of after you die should be no more frightening. No, that does not mean you have to be a emotionless robot. It just means you are part of the cycle of life like trees and the seasons changing.

I really find the concepts of threat/bribe god very disturbing and mind scaring because of posts like yours. It puts needless fear in people and is not anywhere close being moral. There are natural things you can do for yourself to cope with fear and stress. There is no need to buy into such a horrible fear based story.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-12-2014, 06:25 AM
(11-12-2014 04:43 AM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  I'm scared and i haven't found a person who can yet stop and help me.
Every time i tell somebody i'm still scared of hell they find it funny.
But it's not funny because i feel like if i say "I do or don't believe for sure i'll go to hell"
I don't know how to cope with it.
As a kid i went to church with my cousins, my parents allowed me to pick my own path and they new i was skeptic so they'd always say "Why don't you just stay home" (Note: My parents where religious)
Well because my cousins where always there and i had no friends at the time, they where my friends. And there mother was so strongly religious i hardly ever got to hang out with them outside of there church. So i'd go to see them and of course the free snacks what kid wouldn't? But because i still saw them outside of it my parent's didn't understand my point. I used to get to angry and scream running out of the church building because all i wanted was somebody to play with somebody to understand me when it felt like nobody did. I didn't want to pray i didn't want to sit down and listen to a hour long speech about Jesus. Maybe i was just a ignorant kid i'm not sure. To my parents it was about "Do it for respect"
i still didn't want to pray, i didn't want to sit there...i didn't believe in it i guess now that i'm older i'd respect the environment more though. However i till this very day wouldn't pray i wouldn't stand or sing it feels odd to me i just don't feel like that is "ME" because of this i got problems. I fear hell, i fear it so bad i can't get out of saying i'm agnostic. How can i help myself? Have others felt like this because every atheist I've asked so far has told me they never did. I feel "alone"
(Sorry for the spelling mistakes i attempted to do my best)

Realize two things, 1) it is a made up concept. 2) EVEN if it was real, it isnt the fiery pit full of demons and torture in accordance with christian doctrine...

Source is Reason, Faith and Tradition by Martin C. Albl, Chapter 7 page 188 – describing hell.

"We begin with a reminder of limitations of our language. Since hell, according to Christian doctrine, is a supernatural reality, it can only be described in analogies. Holy Scripture teaches us the essence of hell in images. When it speaks of the fire of hell, it is not to be understood in a grossly realistic sense. The images of fire and pain were ways of expressing the essential Christian understanding of hell – that it is a separation from God. We may define heaven as simply being with God, and hell, in contrast, is simply being without God. It is thus an existence without goodness and without meaning."

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
11-12-2014, 06:46 AM
Probably you should read the bible. All of it. It is the single most effective way to stop believing in make believe stories.

Or, read this, it's more interesting: http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

( I just googled "annotated bible" and the skeptic's bible came up first, above the religious one. Yeah! Google puts the most popular pages up top - more people must be searching for it than for the old one. Thumbsup )

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post