I'm scared of hell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2014, 09:43 PM
RE: I'm scared of hell
(11-12-2014 05:13 AM)Nurse Wrote:  First and foremost: You're not alone. I'll respond to the other parts in another post, cause it's already in tl;dr territory.

It's certainly been a fear of mine - I was afraid I was going to hell even when I was a Christian. The Bible references so many ways for a soul to perish that it makes the head spin. When I was a teen, our church did "Judgement House" for Halloween. When I was a Freshman, I was one of the leads. Several thousand people attend over 3 days, walking through the different scenes like a haunted house.

The story was of a young girl Courtney that liked to party and her Christian friend that got saved and tried to show her error of her ways. Courtney goes to a party with underage drinking and then drives drunk. Courtney crashes her car into saved friend's car, and they both die. The group is lead outside to see the real wrecked cars with shattered glass and fake blood, fire truck and police car with lights flashing, and the ambulance with the gurney and body bags, and the kids parents screaming and crying. Next you go to the funeral where you see Courtney and friend in their caskets, and then.... The Judgement. Courtney wasn't saved "Your name is not written in the Book of Life" so she is dragged away by men cloaked in black. Her friend goes to heaven "Well done, my good and faithful servant." Next you get to go to a room set up like hell - dark and hot, and LOTs of screaming (the youth group assigned to hell always lost their voices by the last day). After you go to hell, you're taken to heaven where the temperature is 68F, the room is decorated in white with Greek columns, there are members of the youth group smiling and wearing angel wings, beautiful Christian music pulling at your heart strings in the background, and a guy with a real beard that looks like Jesus. Jesus goes up to every person in the group and tells them welcome and that he loves them, and most of the group will cry. Afterwards, you're taken back to the main sanctuary where you discuss getting right with god and getting saved and pray to let Jesus enter your heart.

That was 15 years ago. I was driving to work the other day, and one of the nine inch nail songs reminded me of it (some churches will play really creepy music in their hell scenes - I had to go to a bunch of them over the years). It made me anxious, despite the fact there is no rational basis to believe hell even exists. I just reminded myself of that, changed the song, took a deep breath, and felt better. It gets easier with time. Indoctrination is a bitch to get past.

Really...Heaven was only 68f ?

The second mouse gets the cheese.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Drake's post
11-12-2014, 10:10 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2014 10:24 PM by Bear100.)
Don't worry, heaven isn't any better, and with one interpretation even hotter than hell according to the Bible.

[Image: lF94TWh.jpg?1]

And when I realized that, I also came to realization that the concept of heaven and hell itself is a made up bullshit in the first place that was designed to keep you believing out of fear, and because of that, I didn't have to fear hell any longer.
[+] 1 user Likes Bear100's post
11-12-2014, 10:37 PM
(11-12-2014 04:43 AM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  I'm scared and i haven't found a person who can yet stop and help me.
Every time i tell somebody i'm still scared of hell they find it funny.
But it's not funny because i feel like if i say "I do or don't believe for sure i'll go to hell"
my cousin scared me so bad one night saying "Why take the chance of going to hell?"
I just feel like if i'm "Wrong" if i make one "Mistake" i'll burn forever.
I don't know how to cope with it.
As a kid i went to church with my cousins, my parents allowed me to pick my own path and they new i was skeptic so they'd always say "Why don't you just stay home" (Note: My parents where religious)
Well because my cousins where always there and i had no friends at the time, they where my friends. And there mother was so strongly religious i hardly ever got to hang out with them outside of there church. So i'd go to see them and of course the free snacks what kid wouldn't? But because i still saw them outside of it my parent's didn't understand my point. I used to get to angry and scream running out of the church building because all i wanted was somebody to play with somebody to understand me when it felt like nobody did. I didn't want to pray i didn't want to sit down and listen to a hour long speech about Jesus. Maybe i was just a ignorant kid i'm not sure. To my parents it was about "Do it for respect"
i still didn't want to pray, i didn't want to sit there...i didn't believe in it i guess now that i'm older i'd respect the environment more though. However i till this very day wouldn't pray i wouldn't stand or sing it feels odd to me i just don't feel like that is "ME" because of this i got problems. I fear hell, i fear it so bad i can't get out of saying i'm agnostic. How can i help myself? Have others felt like this because every atheist I've asked so far has told me they never did. I feel "alone"
(Sorry for the spelling mistakes i attempted to do my best)

I've felt that way. I'll go you one better, I actually like the "idea" of god and "heaven" but, it's impossible to believe in.

Hell is supposed to scare people into believing in god.

But here's my problem, if god really does know everything -- then he'd obviously know that I was only believing for reward and not because I truly believed. I also know a good percentage of "believers" are just fooling themselves and others by insisting they believe -- when they really don't.

So the way I look at it is I can try to lie to myself until I'm convinced I'm telling the truth or I can just admit that I don't believe and get on with enjoying my time on this earth.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

11-12-2014, 10:39 PM
Light reading with a touch of sarcasm.

Excerpt:
"Have you ever wondered what it would look like if he really tortured conscious souls for eternity? He'd literally become more cruel than any notion of Satan we've ever heard of. If you happen to believe in Satan, and if you even attribute every crappy thing that ever happened to his doing, none of it could ever compare to God creating a Hell. If Satan had a good 5 million years of chaotic fun with humanity, that would never come close to God’s eternal reign of terror, confining countless souls to a fate much worse than death, with no chance of learning their lesson, with no chance of redemption, for crimes they may or may not have been aware of."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brett-gall...52013.html

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
11-12-2014, 11:32 PM
Holy shit. I guess I've been lucky as I haven't had any fear of hell nor was I really indoctrinated, especially to the point of Nurse where the act out traumatizing scenes like Nurse.

For me, hell was something rarely talked about and it was a taboo word. I don't remember being taught it in church, nor while at a Catholic school in Texas (I was there for a few months before I was discovered to be special needs).

Now I've learned how terrible this threat of hell really can be and how it drives people. If I were a kid going through scenes of people being 'saved' or burned in hell, I'd be fucking scared of it too.
12-12-2014, 07:25 AM
(11-12-2014 10:39 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Light reading with a touch of sarcasm.

Excerpt:
"Have you ever wondered what it would look like if he really tortured conscious souls for eternity? He'd literally become more cruel than any notion of Satan we've ever heard of. If you happen to believe in Satan, and if you even attribute every crappy thing that ever happened to his doing, none of it could ever compare to God creating a Hell. If Satan had a good 5 million years of chaotic fun with humanity, that would never come close to God’s eternal reign of terror, confining countless souls to a fate much worse than death, with no chance of learning their lesson, with no chance of redemption, for crimes they may or may not have been aware of."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brett-gall...52013.html

I agree with that 100%
iv'e always had trouble believing in a Adam or eve or even a Satan
to put it straight, i don't believe in Adam or eve my brain just says even without knowing much upon this topic "It's silly" and same with the idea of Satan.
So why i cannot let go of "Fearing hell" i'm not sure, i wish i new.
Huh i guess i'll be wondering many things till i can put my finger on it, what everyone says makes so much sense however it takes time to over come
something driven in your head for years.
[+] 1 user Likes Autumnflowers's post
12-12-2014, 07:45 AM
(11-12-2014 10:10 PM)Bear100 Wrote:  Don't worry, heaven isn't any better, and with one interpretation even hotter than hell according to the Bible.

[Image: lF94TWh.jpg?1]

And when I realized that, I also came to realization that the concept of heaven and hell itself is a made up bullshit in the first place that was designed to keep you believing out of fear, and because of that, I didn't have to fear hell any longer.

I have a temptation to share this upon my family fb where my christian family is XD
i love it!
15-12-2014, 07:29 PM
Are you scared of the wrath of the volcano god?

No? Why not? You haven't sacrificed any virgins to him lately. Why does this not scare the living shit out of you?

When you know why that doesn't scare you, apply the very same reasoning to whichever version of eternal punishment happens to be haunting you, and you should be set. Thumbsup

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Misanthropik's post
15-12-2014, 10:23 PM
(15-12-2014 07:29 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Are you scared of the wrath of the volcano god?

No? Why not? You haven't sacrificed any virgins to him lately. Why does this not scare the living shit out of you?

When you know why that doesn't scare you, apply the very same reasoning to whichever version of eternal punishment happens to be haunting you, and you should be set. Thumbsup

Whilst you're technically correct - if the prevailing culture was virgin sacrifices to the volcano god then I'm sure this topic would come up on the equivalent heathen messageboards...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
15-12-2014, 10:28 PM
Hell was designed more to torture the living than the dead.