I'm scared of hell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2014, 11:01 PM (This post was last modified: 16-12-2014 08:50 AM by EvolutionKills.)
RE: I'm scared of hell
How much did you ever worry about the Hell of Islam?

Stop and recall just how little sleep you lost over not believing in Allah, or Zeus, or Krishna, or Dionysus, or Quetzalcoatl.

It's all the same. You should not fear a Biblical Hell any more so than you ever feared a Koranic Hell or a Hellenistic Hades.

Also remember that most of what makes up the popular conception of the Christian Hell can trace it's origins more to popular fiction (Dante's Inferno, Paradise Lost) than to Biblical fiction.

And of course, remember that it is fiction. You shouldn't fear Satan and Hell anymore than you fear Darth Vader and the Dark Side of the Force.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
16-12-2014, 12:14 PM
(15-12-2014 10:23 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  
(15-12-2014 07:29 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Are you scared of the wrath of the volcano god?

No? Why not? You haven't sacrificed any virgins to him lately. Why does this not scare the living shit out of you?

When you know why that doesn't scare you, apply the very same reasoning to whichever version of eternal punishment happens to be haunting you, and you should be set. Thumbsup

Whilst you're technically correct - if the prevailing culture was virgin sacrifices to the volcano god then I'm sure this topic would come up on the equivalent heathen messageboards...

At which point I'd ask why the OP doesn't fear the wrath of Yaweh's eternal punishment, and recommend they apply the same reasoning to their fear of the volcano god. Wink

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
16-12-2014, 04:16 PM
(16-12-2014 12:14 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(15-12-2014 10:23 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Whilst you're technically correct - if the prevailing culture was virgin sacrifices to the volcano god then I'm sure this topic would come up on the equivalent heathen messageboards...

At which point I'd ask why the OP doesn't fear the wrath of Yaweh's eternal punishment, and recommend they apply the same reasoning to their fear of the volcano god. Wink

And I don't disagree with you at all - I'm just pointing out that it's often difficult to drop a cultural norm...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
16-12-2014, 04:32 PM
(16-12-2014 04:16 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  
(16-12-2014 12:14 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  At which point I'd ask why the OP doesn't fear the wrath of Yaweh's eternal punishment, and recommend they apply the same reasoning to their fear of the volcano god. Wink

And I don't disagree with you at all - I'm just pointing out that it's often difficult to drop a cultural norm...

And hopefully, with a little comparative reasoning, it can be made a little easier. Dodgy

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-12-2014, 08:27 PM
Why not try this... This is what I did if god is real then surely he will answer... Pray for him to show you a sign l ..if he does you get your answer if he doesn't then you get answer either way you will know
07-01-2016, 08:31 PM
(11-12-2014 11:36 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Fears aren't always rational. Childhood fears can be very strong and can stay with us for life. If they didn't then people wouldn't suffer from phobias.

My mother grew up with a fear of ghosts for example because my grandmother was a spriritualist. She is unable to stay alone in a house at night with the lights on and would feel safer alone in a dark forest because of her child hood fears

But that doesn't mean to say that you can't deal with your fear. The more you understand the world in terms of Physics and History the more you can put those fears into perspective. This is because there are more things that come to mind when thinking about your fears. There are more things to consider as a well-informed adult than as a child believing everything that adults tell you.

As a child if I thought I saw something ghostly then I would be scared. As an adult I would be wondering whether a ghost was reflecting light or generating its own light in which case wondering what was powering it. I would be considering how the visual cortex can be tricked because it is constantly trying to assemble patterns from sensory stimuli etc.

It is the nature of emotions though that they can take charge and narrow your perceptions, urging you towards certain actions, especially in times of stress. Cognition on the other hand gives you a wider perspective and allows you to consider other possibilities. The two complement each other.

tldr; You may always have a fear of Hell depending on how you were conditioned as a child but as an adult you can nullify those fears by learning more about them.

As per bolded above, One night 20 years ago or so I was sitting on the Ft Lauderdale beach and saw a huge airplane headed in the direction of the moon and I assumed I would be able to see it better as it crossed infront of the moon so I continued to watch and it did not pass in front of the moon, but what I saw was that it passed behind the moon and was so big that one end stuck out from behind the moon before the other end had gotten fully to the moon. What did I see? I know I did not see some craft so big it was longer than the moon is across. But I still have no explanation!
07-01-2016, 09:39 PM
(11-12-2014 04:43 AM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  I'm scared and i haven't found a person who can yet stop and help me.
Every time i tell somebody i'm still scared of hell they find it funny.
But it's not funny because i feel like if i say "I do or don't believe for sure i'll go to hell"
my cousin scared me so bad one night saying "Why take the chance of going to hell?"
I just feel like if i'm "Wrong" if i make one "Mistake" i'll burn forever.
I don't know how to cope with it.
As a kid i went to church with my cousins, my parents allowed me to pick my own path and they new i was skeptic so they'd always say "Why don't you just stay home" (Note: My parents where religious)
Well because my cousins where always there and i had no friends at the time, they where my friends. And there mother was so strongly religious i hardly ever got to hang out with them outside of there church. So i'd go to see them and of course the free snacks what kid wouldn't? But because i still saw them outside of it my parent's didn't understand my point. I used to get to angry and scream running out of the church building because all i wanted was somebody to play with somebody to understand me when it felt like nobody did. I didn't want to pray i didn't want to sit down and listen to a hour long speech about Jesus. Maybe i was just a ignorant kid i'm not sure. To my parents it was about "Do it for respect"
i still didn't want to pray, i didn't want to sit there...i didn't believe in it i guess now that i'm older i'd respect the environment more though. However i till this very day wouldn't pray i wouldn't stand or sing it feels odd to me i just don't feel like that is "ME" because of this i got problems. I fear hell, i fear it so bad i can't get out of saying i'm agnostic. How can i help myself? Have others felt like this because every atheist I've asked so far has told me they never did. I feel "alone"
(Sorry for the spelling mistakes i attempted to do my best)

I would recommend two things:

Read every single thing you can about hell. Everything from every religious culture that has a hell. All of it. The more you know about a thing the less you will fear it. It really does work.

If that doesn't help then see a counselor. The fear of hell you're manifesting may be sourced from something else entirely and only a therapist could diagnose this and help you get past it.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
08-01-2016, 07:42 AM
The only thing that would be worse than spending an eternity in hell - would be being forced to spent eternity in the presence of a being sufficiently psychotic and evil enough to conceive of and to create such a place.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
08-01-2016, 09:59 AM
All this reason is great, I live it.
The trouble is, fear is not based on reason. It takes some hard work to overcome the emotional root causes. Some people that you respected built a really good boogey man for you, and were very consistent about it. It takes time and work to fix it and you'd be best off getting some help with it. No shame in that at all.
08-01-2016, 10:23 AM
(11-12-2014 04:43 AM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  I'm scared and i haven't found a person who can yet stop and help me.
Every time i tell somebody i'm still scared of hell they find it funny.
But it's not funny because i feel like if i say "I do or don't believe for sure i'll go to hell"
my cousin scared me so bad one night saying "Why take the chance of going to hell?"
I just feel like if i'm "Wrong" if i make one "Mistake" i'll burn forever.
I don't know how to cope with it.
As a kid i went to church with my cousins, my parents allowed me to pick my own path and they new i was skeptic so they'd always say "Why don't you just stay home" (Note: My parents where religious)
Well because my cousins where always there and i had no friends at the time, they where my friends. And there mother was so strongly religious i hardly ever got to hang out with them outside of there church. So i'd go to see them and of course the free snacks what kid wouldn't? But because i still saw them outside of it my parent's didn't understand my point. I used to get to angry and scream running out of the church building because all i wanted was somebody to play with somebody to understand me when it felt like nobody did. I didn't want to pray i didn't want to sit down and listen to a hour long speech about Jesus. Maybe i was just a ignorant kid i'm not sure. To my parents it was about "Do it for respect"
i still didn't want to pray, i didn't want to sit there...i didn't believe in it i guess now that i'm older i'd respect the environment more though. However i till this very day wouldn't pray i wouldn't stand or sing it feels odd to me i just don't feel like that is "ME" because of this i got problems. I fear hell, i fear it so bad i can't get out of saying i'm agnostic. How can i help myself? Have others felt like this because every atheist I've asked so far has told me they never did. I feel "alone"
(Sorry for the spelling mistakes i attempted to do my best)

OK, here is one solution: Give your heart to Jesus. Go to some Hallelujah Kiss Me Jesus church and answer The Call, go down forward, squeeze out a few tears and get saved, then you have it in the bag. The ones who believe in the Hell shit will also tell you that if you have given your heart to Haysus nothing can change that. So then you can return to reality and if by chance he is right you are saved. No Hell for you my man.