I'm so bad at this...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-09-2014, 11:16 AM
I'm so bad at this...
.....which logical fallacy is this? (Actually I think he's jammed in a few)

Quote:Hey Bud, the evidence may not change but our interpretation of the evidence does change. And that interpretation is all based on human perception, fallible and faulty. Being based on human perception it is therefore not proof of anything. Belief in science is as much a faith as belief in God. Wink

Obviously it's a non sequitur, but there's just so much wrong in this paragraph I can't begin to refute it.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-09-2014, 11:19 AM
RE: I'm so bad at this...
Stark i only read one thing.....

Word
Salad

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
29-09-2014, 11:23 AM
(29-09-2014 11:16 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  .....which logical fallacy is this? (Actually I think he's jammed in a few)

Quote:Hey Bud, the evidence may not change but our interpretation of the evidence does change. And that interpretation is all based on human perception, fallible and faulty. Being based on human perception it is therefore not proof of anything. Belief in science is as much a faith as belief in God. Wink

Obviously it's a non sequitur, but there's just so much wrong in this paragraph I can't begin to refute it.

He is a liar and he knows it. Tell him to put him money where his mouth is and test God vs Science. If he thinks science is just faith tell him to walk out of a 10th story window and trust to god to catch him. Science say he will fall.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
29-09-2014, 11:28 AM (This post was last modified: 29-09-2014 11:40 AM by Bucky Ball.)
It's a *need* to equate religious belief (a willing suspension of reason .. which religious people *say* is one of "the gifts of the spirit") with a rational process based on evidence. A 7-year old can tell the difference. If they can't, there's no help for them.

Ask them if their faith is a gift of god ? If the answer is yes, (as St. Paul tells them), and "belief in science" is the same thing, then "belief in science" is a "gift of god" too, now, tisn't tit ? Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
29-09-2014, 11:33 AM
Simply reply that you don't have 'faith' in science - you just follow the evidence that is testable - that is the scientific method.

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
29-09-2014, 11:44 AM
All of that faulty human perception made everything around you to a highly precise degree of accuracy.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
29-09-2014, 11:44 AM
If he/she admits human perception is faulty, then ask how the hell can anybody trust what the preachers say, and be certain he/she interprets the scriptures accurately.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 2 users Like Timber1025's post
29-09-2014, 11:47 AM
If evidence is subject to whimsical interpretation and perception, then different people would look at the same evidence and come to different conclusions. Now that does happen sometimes, and that causes scientists to retest and re-evaluate. But ultimately what we conclude as scientific fact is seen by different people the same way. Now try asking two Christians about their religion and see if you get the exact same replies. Drinking Beverage

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
29-09-2014, 12:17 PM
Short answer tell him/her to shoo fly. Big Grin

The longer answer would be that science isn't a belief. As the science improves we can and should modify our conclusions, but the conclusions are based on the evidence gathered, which is tested repeatedly and never just on a vague hunch.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
29-09-2014, 12:25 PM
Both of the believers in the discussion are "spiritual", meaning they just make it up as they go. I've already blown them both off.

I think what pisses me off the most is the smugness. Fuck I hate smug.

Thanks for the help guys. If someone has a square tuit I'll post the whole convo. That is if I figure out how to blackout the names.

So many cats, so few good recipes.