I'm so dreading this

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2015, 02:14 PM
I'm so dreading this
Some of you may remember my epic debates and emails with my born-again Catholic sister-in-law. Well, she's been on a pilgrimage to Israel for the past 10 days and she's been posting all kinds of hokum on Facebook about the "actual places" where Jebus fell and hit his head, where he was crucified, etc.

Needless to say I'm just nauseated and today I had to hear my fellow born-again Catholic mother gush over all of this, say my SIL is in all her glory because she's getting to visit all of the places in the bible and experience these historic events, yada, yada, yada.

My SIL even posted some comment on FB that after seeing what she has seen, experiencing what she is experiencing, anyone who thinks the bible is a fairy tale is ignorant.

I am so not looking forward to her return. Now, I know pretty much everything she has done and every place she has visited is mostly tourist-trap bullshit, but can any of my experts homies on here save me the time of having to research this crap again to prove to her it's all ridiculous?

Is there a link I can read to get my point across when this tripe is inevitably brought up?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2015, 04:09 PM
RE: I'm so dreading this
Ugh.

I know there are a couple threads here.....

I don't honestly recall where or when I read them.

Edit:

There might be something in here: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ce-Library

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
18-01-2015, 04:48 PM
Just pray HAMAS blow her up, problem solved.

[Image: oscar.png]
18-01-2015, 04:51 PM
Thanks Mom. Muffs, I don't want her dead, just her belief.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-01-2015, 10:34 AM
I'm so dreading this
Also show her all the evidence against the bible and how it doesn't make since don let her talk you out of it
19-01-2015, 10:43 AM
(18-01-2015 02:14 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Some of you may remember my epic debates and emails with my born-again Catholic sister-in-law. Well, she's been on a pilgrimage to Israel for the past 10 days and she's been posting all kinds of hokum on Facebook about the "actual places" where Jebus fell and hit his head, where he was crucified, etc.

Needless to say I'm just nauseated and today I had to hear my fellow born-again Catholic mother gush over all of this, say my SIL is in all her glory because she's getting to visit all of the places in the bible and experience these historic events, yada, yada, yada.

My SIL even posted some comment on FB that after seeing what she has seen, experiencing what she is experiencing, anyone who thinks the bible is a fairy tale is ignorant.

I am so not looking forward to her return. Now, I know pretty much everything she has done and every place she has visited is mostly tourist-trap bullshit, but can any of my experts homies on here save me the time of having to research this crap again to prove to her it's all ridiculous?

Is there a link I can read to get my point across when this tripe is inevitably brought up?

Tell her you are making a pilgrimage to New Zealand to walk among the Shire and see Middle Earth next year, Muffs can be your guide since he was there first hand to witness the events.

Then "ghost" out of the room and go do something more productive like cut your toenails.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
19-01-2015, 11:03 AM
Photoshop yourself into a whole bunch of pictures of Islamic religious locations (Dome of the Rock, Mecca, Ect Ect) and say "Anyone who thinks the Quran is a fairytale and not the Inspired word of God is ignoran!".

The best part is if she calls you out on not actually going there, you can point out that that's how much stronger Mohamed is to Jesus: you didn't actually have to go to feel that way, but she did.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 6 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
19-01-2015, 11:05 AM
(19-01-2015 11:03 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Photoshop yourself into a whole bunch of pictures of Islamic religious locations (Dome of the Rock, Mecca, Ect Ect) and say "Anyone who thinks the Quran is a fairytale and not the Inspired word of God is ignoran!".

The best part is if she calls you out on not actually going there, you can point out that that's how much stronger Mohamed is to Jesus: you didn't actually have to go to feel that way, but she did.

That could work Consider

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
19-01-2015, 02:06 PM
(19-01-2015 10:43 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(18-01-2015 02:14 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Some of you may remember my epic debates and emails with my born-again Catholic sister-in-law. Well, she's been on a pilgrimage to Israel for the past 10 days and she's been posting all kinds of hokum on Facebook about the "actual places" where Jebus fell and hit his head, where he was crucified, etc.

Tell her you are making a pilgrimage to New Zealand to walk among the Shire and see Middle Earth next year, Muffs can be your guide since he was there first hand to witness the events.

Well, now I have a travel plan.

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
Albert Camus
[+] 2 users Like thesummerqueen's post
19-01-2015, 02:14 PM
Full disclosure - the reason I would make a flippant comment like that is because for a while right before I turned 26, I was harassed by friends to make my "birthright" trip to Israel - a place I consider a sandy shit hole. If you don't know what that is, it's where Jewish kids register to have a paid trip to Israel in order to learn about their "heritage." My "heritage" would be better served sending me on a flight across Eastern Europe.

It flabbergasts me that someone would spend that much time there seeking out all the Jesus bullshit.

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
Albert Camus
[+] 1 user Likes thesummerqueen's post