I'm so dreading this

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2015, 02:23 PM
RE: I'm so dreading this
But I'm no closer to showing her these sites are just tourism bullshit.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2015, 02:35 PM
(19-01-2015 02:14 PM)thesummerqueen Wrote:  Full disclosure - the reason I would make a flippant comment like that is because for a while right before I turned 26, I was harassed by friends to make my "birthright" trip to Israel - a place I consider a sandy shit hole. If you don't know what that is, it's where Jewish kids register to have a paid trip to Israel in order to learn about their "heritage." My "heritage" would be better served sending me on a flight across Eastern Europe.

It flabbergasts me that someone would spend that much time there seeking out all the Jesus bullshit.

My dear TSQ, you should meet my parents. This year they will once again go on a group excursion to Europe, why you may ask? Could it be to see Paris, Rome or London?

NO!

They will go visit Lourdes, Turin & Fatima. Frusty

Weeping

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
19-01-2015, 02:38 PM
(19-01-2015 02:23 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  But I'm no closer to showing her these sites are just tourism bullshit.

You are not going to win this argument, she is bathed in the glory of the moment.

Let it go before you get an aneurism.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
19-01-2015, 02:41 PM
Well...I'm sure those sites are interesting...historically?

But I'm equally sure they're not there for the real history.

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
Albert Camus
[+] 1 user Likes thesummerqueen's post
19-01-2015, 02:51 PM
To me, they'd be interesting in the same way that seeing Aztec or Egyptian religious sites would be interesting. Like, for the sake of architecture & culture, not for the sake of religion.
[+] 3 users Like DeadChannel's post
19-01-2015, 02:53 PM
Tell your mother that your SIL is getting ripped off by jewish and arab con men who have made a cottage industry out of swindling idiot xtian pilgrims out of their money since the 4th century. In fact, it is still the only thing the bastards can agree on.

You might remind her that between the time where her supposed 'jesus' lived and the time that Constantine's mother went looking for these alleged holy sites the Roman army had burned the whole fucking country to the ground twice over.

Of course, if you were the junior officer assigned to conduct the emperor's mother on the tour you would probably say: "Oh, yes ma'am. The place where jesus took his first shit? Right over here. He sat right on that board. What else would you like to see, ma'am?"

BTW, make sure your SIL takes swim in the Jordan River.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/ju...st-baptism

Quote:Christian pilgrims should be banned from entering the river Jordan at the site where Jesus is believed to have been baptised because of dangerous levels of pollutants, Israel's ministry of health has said.

The site was closed to the public today to allow the river's water to be tested following preliminary results from recent samples which showed high levels of raw sewage and agricultural chemicals.

But the demand to close or limit access to the site is controversial because of an uncompleted $2m (£1.3m) refurbishment project aimed at attracting more pilgrims to what is the third most important Christian site in the Holy Land, after the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem's Old City and the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem.

There's something glorious about the thought of xtian pilgrims dipping themselves in jewish and palestinian shit.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 4 users Like Minimalist's post
19-01-2015, 03:20 PM
Thanks Min. Good stuff.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
19-01-2015, 03:21 PM
Tell your SIL, for her next trip, she can visit Universal Studios in Florida and see exactly where Harry Potter went to school. Tongue

She will, of course, roll her eyes, but I'd ask her to justify why she finds one to be an obvious fabrication, but readily accepts the other as genuine.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
19-01-2015, 03:24 PM
Full, can't let it go, my name's not Elsa or Anna. (Sorry, had to say it.)

It's one of those things where I am going to hear about it forever and if I know the truth I just can't bite my tongue. Been a journalist for 25 years, can't stop now, especially for this. And silence in this family is taken as defeat.

----
19-01-2015, 04:14 PM
(19-01-2015 03:24 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Full, can't let it go, my name's not Elsa or Anna. (Sorry, had to say it.)

It's one of those things where I am going to hear about it forever and if I know the truth I just can't bite my tongue. Been a journalist for 25 years, can't stop now, especially for this. And silence in this family is taken as defeat.

I must be dense 'cause I don't get the Elsa and Anna reference Huh

If you must fight then take some aspirin first, sharpen your blade and go for it.

Tell her she could have saved a lot of money by going to Orlando and seeing http://www.holylandexperience.com/about/history.html started by, I shit you not, Marvin Rosenthal. Laugh out load