I'm sorry, but what??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2012, 07:38 AM
I'm sorry, but what??
Why isn't stuff like this taught on Sunday?

Exodus 21:20-21

King James Version (KJV)

20And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished.

21Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money.

(source) http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?sea...ersion=KJV

Before you see the light, you must die!
Through the fear you're sold into the fraud
It's my obsession, to treat (g)od like an infection
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2012, 08:22 AM
RE: I'm sorry, but what??
The NIV version is:
20 “Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result, 21 but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property.

In KJV it seems like they're saying that if the slave takes longer to die then don't punish him, in NIV it sounds like as long as they don't kill the slave it's OK no punishment necessary....
09-02-2012, 08:52 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2012 09:13 AM by kingschosen.)
NASB
20 “If a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod and he dies [q]at his hand, he shall [r]be punished. 21 If, however, he [s]survives a day or two, no vengeance shall be taken; for he is his [t]property.
YLT
20`And when a man smiteth his man-servant or his handmaid, with a rod, and he hath died under his hand -- he is certainly avenged;

21only if he remain a day, or two days, he is not avenged, for he [is] his money.

Hmmm, the literal translation does make it sound like if he dies after one or two days it's cool.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
09-02-2012, 10:25 AM
I'm sure if this was mentioned in your sweet little Sunday school there would be a lot more questions.

Sorry but I'm late to the party. I'm sure this has been discussed already, but I have to see what others think. My apologies.

Before you see the light, you must die!
Through the fear you're sold into the fraud
It's my obsession, to treat (g)od like an infection
09-02-2012, 01:05 PM
I'm still deciding which is more gory and horrific.

Dead Space or The Bible.

It's a tough choice.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
09-02-2012, 01:07 PM
(09-02-2012 01:05 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  I'm still deciding which is more gory and horrific.

Dead Space or The Bible.

It's a tough choice.

If they made a literal, scene for scene, movie adaptation of the Bible it would be NC-17.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
09-02-2012, 02:38 PM
(09-02-2012 01:07 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-02-2012 01:05 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  I'm still deciding which is more gory and horrific.

Dead Space or The Bible.

It's a tough choice.

If they made a literal, scene for scene, movie adaptation of the Bible it would be NC-17.

should be nc 100