I'm starting the "5:2 Fasting Diet" inspired by BBC Horizon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2012, 09:37 PM
I'm starting the "5:2 Fasting Diet" inspired by BBC Horizon
So my whole life, I've always been taught that fasting is bad because it slows your metabolism down, which then can't cope when you start eating again... so you gain weight. Also, not eating for days at a time deprives you of nutrients and energy.

But after watching this video, I've decided to try it for a while. First off, it shouldn't be too difficult for someone like me who often doesn't realize until nighttime that he hasn't eaten anything yet today. Let's discuss other focus points.

The first parts are basically traditional diets. Eat less and eat fruits and vegetables. Well I'm almost 30 and fruits and/or veggies are usually a once a month thing for me. I prefer meat and pizza and junk food.

8:40
"Life expectancy actually rose during the Great Depression."
I wonder if that is accurate and if it's because of the "mandatory diet" situation?

11:50
I really don't want to eat fruit and apple peels for my meals. I also don't want to look like that skeleton of a man. I'm a big fan of lifting and muscles. 134 pound man? I haven't weighed that little since elementary school.

22:30
The midget folk who are immune to diabetes and cancer. The IGF-1 hormone seems to be connected to these diseases.

24:12
This part fascinates me. When IGF-1 is lowered, the body stops making new cells and starts repairing damaged ones. Protein seems to be the main cause of the hormone, which sucks for a lifter like me.

28:30
For the 3 consecutive day fast, you can have water, black tea, and some noodles. This sounds terrifying so this kind of fast turns me off.

33:25
With fasting, I'm hoping to start appreciating the taste of food again instead of just eating all the time out of boredom.

34:35
I'm also hoping to keep my blood sugar low, given my family's history of diabetes.

38:00
This is the diet I'm planning on trying. 5 days of eating, 2 days of "fasting," with fasting being a 500 calorie limit. You can mix up the eating and fasting days to fit your schedule.

40:37
Mainly because you can still eat like this.

45:00
Fasting diets may keep your brain healthy and keep you from going senile.

46:43
Being hungry creates new brain cells. Your brain panics and starts working overtime.

Basically eat a breakfast on fast days of around 400 and leave yourself a 100 calorie snack.

The way I understand this, every time you eat something, it basically takes time off your life so you better make the food count. I plan on lifting Mon, Tues, and Wed... with protein shakes being the major source of protein. I'll eat Mon-Thurs to supplement the lifting recovery process. Then Friday and Sunday I'll fast. Protein only on lift days, then on the other days hopefully, the lack of protein will force a cell repair cycle.

We'll see how it goes.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2012, 10:44 PM
RE: I'm starting the "5:2 Fasting Diet" inspired by BBC Horizon
With the 500 calories, you need to be sure you get Potassium, and Calcium. Your muscles need them to work, especially your heart. Anyone who fasts, for long periods needs to be monitored. Eat a banana as part of the 500.
http://sntpost.stii.dost.gov.ph/NewPOST/...banana.htm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

17-09-2012, 11:21 PM
(17-09-2012 10:44 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  With the 500 calories, you need to be sure you get Potassium, and Calcium. Your muscles need them to work, especially your heart. Anyone who fasts, for long periods needs to be monitored. Eat a banana as part of the 500.

Well that sucks, cause I'm allergic to bananas.

Also allergic to:

chicken, turkey, hot dogs, bologna, tuna (in a can), and pineapple.

You can understand now why I basically live off of sugar and dairy products.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
18-09-2012, 07:11 AM
(17-09-2012 11:21 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  
(17-09-2012 10:44 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  With the 500 calories, you need to be sure you get Potassium, and Calcium. Your muscles need them to work, especially your heart. Anyone who fasts, for long periods needs to be monitored. Eat a banana as part of the 500.

Well that sucks, cause I'm allergic to bananas.

Also allergic to:

chicken, turkey, hot dogs, bologna, tuna (in a can), and pineapple.

You can understand now why I basically live off of sugar and dairy products.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/featur...rich-foods
http://newkiddy.blogspot.com/2012/05/top...foods.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.