I'm starting to be able to control my headaches.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2012, 12:48 PM
I'm starting to be able to control my headaches.
I've have made some major breakthroughs with my headaches. The doctor has be on a new medicine called Amitriptyline. It's supposed to be a depression medicine, but it's widely used to treat headaches as well. While I have seen a great improvement, I think I may have to stop the medicine.

It knocks me completely out. I'm a light sleeper, and I usually know that I'm sleeping when I'm asleep so I have somewhat of a conscious clock going even when I'm asleep.

Not with this stuff, though. I take it and an hour later I can barely hold my eyes open. When I fall asleep, I can't be moved. It's so difficult to get up in the morning to go to work, and I usually remain groggy for 24 hours after taking it.

Do y'all have any suggestions on counteracting the sleepiness?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2012, 12:51 PM
RE: I'm starting to be able to control my headaches.
Every morning when I was a kid my mama would bring me a cup of coffee to get me outta bed.

50% of the time I'd be so groggy I'd take the cup and immediately spill it straight down my chest.

That's a sure fire way to wake up in a hurry Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
17-07-2012, 12:58 PM
So basically you're saying the cure for your headaches is to sleep through them. Not bad. You might save some money to just have QC choke you out everytime you get a headache.
You might try Speed for staying awake if caffeine doesn't work. Or a 5 hour energy drink.
I do know the feeling of having to take meds that make me feel groggy. No fun there. Go wrestle a gator, that'll perk you up.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
17-07-2012, 01:40 PM
I didn't know you were having such debilitating headaches that you would have to be on meds. How old and/or mushy is your mattress? If it's over 10 years, might be a good time to go shopping for something firm. The memory foam ones are deadly firm, but once you get use to them are pretty fantastic.

Also might be a good idea to check with a chiropractor and make sure your spine isn't out of alignment.

Intense stretching or yoga can help keep you flexible and help you keep things in place.

Kingsy, it's not good to rely on meds -think about it; how would you know when something's really wrong if you're always too drugged up to feel it?

It's not that I'm against drugs... I'm just saying, be cautious... you want the headaches to stop, not just be masked.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
17-07-2012, 01:59 PM
good that the headaches are less now.
Well if it is just about the sleepiness now,
set the alarm half an hour early, stretch and turn a lot before you really have to get up, yawn a lot, and make sure the window is open so you get some fresh morning air.
try and have a bit of a walk in the morning and drink a chilled glas of water.
If it doesn't help, a cup of coffee.

At least this is my way to get the sleepiness gone because I have great difficulties getting up and stay sleepy until lunchtime if I don't do anything about it.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-07-2012, 02:12 PM
I've never been on heavy drowsyness inducing meds long. After three days in bed I refused to take that anxiety pill in the psych ward. The alarm is a good idea, and also making sure you have enough time to sleep. When your body is more focused on sleeping it will demand a certan amount of time. It's possible that you might just have to sleep earlier on those days. Whn you get put on heavy meds though, uch as ones that are for depression often you will be admitted for a period of time to get used to the medication. You've been taking this for a while now?

As far as chronic headaches I've been a lifelong sufferer and my main points of relief were getting things out. I self medicated with caffeine, but when I stopped caffeine they didn't go away. I had issues on stonger meds so when I was taking meds duradrin was the most I would take. For me the most important thing to do in order to keep my head feeling only slightly muddled is avoid stress. So listen to Kim some =p It's possible that this pill is more of a problem than a solution, but gauge for yourself. Mine have been so bad as to make me white out (temporary blindnss where all I see is white) and I'm going with a treatment that is more lifestyle than medical. Just suggesting that if you decide this pill is causing too many side effects that really isn't something you should accept in the end. Unless your headaches are so bad that they must be dealt with immediately.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
17-07-2012, 02:32 PM
I've used Topamax for years and it helped me. I use to get headaches like crazy. Now I never get one. Plus you don't get any side affects from them.

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their
political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their
own purpose. ~ Thomas Jefferson
17-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Oh some people lose weight on topamax. Not a ton or anything more like 20 lbs. at best. For me that was a plus. I never got any other side effects.

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their
political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their
own purpose. ~ Thomas Jefferson
17-07-2012, 03:50 PM
*Desperately........trying.......to keep..........mouth........shut*

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
17-07-2012, 03:59 PM
You could ask your DR to prescribe a lower dose, That may help with the headaches but have less of a knocking you out effect.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]