I'm starting to understand trolls

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2014, 12:00 AM
RE: I'm starting to understand trolls
In places where you know for a fact your words won't do any good, I would advise just avoiding them at all costs. I mean places where you KNOW everyone already has their minds made up. Like churches, extreme online forums, and the like. It just gives them a deeper sense of fellowship as they are united in hating you (and/or wanting to convert you, etc.)

I know everyone has their own way of dealing with the stress. If this makes you feel better, I guess just go ahead and do it. The above is only my own two cents. Angel

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2014, 01:54 AM
(23-03-2014 12:00 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  In places where you know for a fact your words won't do any good, I would advise just avoiding them at all costs. I mean places where you KNOW everyone already has their minds made up. Like churches, extreme online forums, and the like. It just gives them a deeper sense of fellowship as they are united in hating you (and/or wanting to convert you, etc.)

I'm sorry, but it's just interesting how posts like this are identical to posts in christian forums about atheist forums. If you go to a religious forum and peruse threads and find one about atheists, you will inevitably see this exact argument made against us. The weird thing is that, put into context, it makes sense on their end.

Yes, we have actual thought and sense going for us, they have apologetics. Angel

But the approach and the perceived return is always the same.

The manner in which the conversation goes, too much of the time it's hard to tell which side actually gives a shit about approaching reality as it is, rather than how they'd like reality to be. No one wants to talk about what's real, we'd rather lambaste each other for not seeing things eye to eye.

The argument becomes more important than reality. A win is better than an understanding. A difference is preferred over a commonality. A simple ignorance is ridiculed, and a chance for real conversation is destroyed, all for cosmetic gain instead of encouragement of intellectual integrity.

Conversation is a dying art. Shut up and listen when I tell you that, cus I'm right.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 6 users Like evenheathen's post
23-03-2014, 03:23 AM
(23-03-2014 01:54 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Shut up and listen when I tell you that, cus I'm right.

Get back on the porch grandpa! And put down that cat! Dodgy

Angel

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
23-03-2014, 06:23 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2014 06:26 AM by WitchSabrina.)
[Image: Trollingfordummies.jpg]

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
23-03-2014, 07:37 AM
(23-03-2014 03:23 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(23-03-2014 01:54 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Shut up and listen when I tell you that, cus I'm right.

Get back on the porch grandpa! And put down that cat! Dodgy

Angel

I hate cats. Angry

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
23-03-2014, 07:52 AM
(23-03-2014 01:54 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  I'm sorry, but it's just interesting how posts like this are identical to posts in christian forums about atheist forums. If you go to a religious forum and peruse threads and find one about atheists, you will inevitably see this exact argument made against us. The weird thing is that, put into context, it makes sense on their end.

This is absolutely true, and I'll take it a step further. As I was typing some of my replies and reading their remarks I could hear the remarks from this site in the back of my head. People telling me I just don't understand ,I'm not being reasonable, that I'm narrow-minded and need to open my heart (instead of mind), blah blah blah.

Only if someone truly is curious or on the fence can this sort of approach be effective. If nothing else I got some people thinking because, like I said, a few people messaged me with questions that weren't proselytizing.

And it did help with my debating skills if not for a brief time.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
23-03-2014, 08:05 AM
Ceph, pardon if that sounded harsh. I meant no offense to you. It was three in the morning and I had a nip of whiskey in me. Blush

Please don't take that as some sort of attack or anything. Angel

~ Umberto Eco
23-03-2014, 08:07 AM
(23-03-2014 07:37 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(23-03-2014 03:23 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Get back on the porch grandpa! And put down that cat! Dodgy

Angel

I hate cats. Angry

So why are you picking one one gramps? Go back inside and take your meds... Dodgy

Angel

23-03-2014, 08:12 AM
(23-03-2014 08:07 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  So why are you picking one one gramps? Go back inside and take your meds... Dodgy

Watch it, punk. Or you're next. Angry

Tongue

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
24-03-2014, 11:46 PM
(23-03-2014 08:12 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(23-03-2014 08:07 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  So why are you picking one one gramps? Go back inside and take your meds... Dodgy

Watch it, punk. Or you're next. Angry

Tongue

Just you try it gramps! Unlike the cat I have opposable thumbs and can operate door locks! Angry

Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post