I'm still scared of public atheism.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2014, 02:51 PM
RE: I'm still scared of public atheism.
I see. Are you able to share your thoughts/opinions with your hubby? Sorry just curious.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Bro, try pubic atheism. My dick believes in no God...

bad dog! bad! Weeping

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
25-07-2014, 02:57 PM
(25-07-2014 02:51 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I see. Are you able to share your thoughts/opinions with your hubby? Sorry just curious.

No, not at all. We just don't discuss religion at all (except when he drags me with him to mass -- it's annoying.)

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

25-07-2014, 03:01 PM
(25-07-2014 02:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  No, not at all. We just don't discuss religion at all (except when he drags me with him to mass -- it's annoying.)
Ahh I see. Thankfully my girl and I can talk pretty openly about that I suppose. I'm almost tempted to see what striking up a conversation on this topic with friends would be like. But I don't know to what extent my friend's hold their beliefs dear. They are all intelligent rational people...but I suppose that doesn't matter when this topic comes up :/.

Is there anybody you can talk to on this topic? (outside of the TTA community)?

25-07-2014, 03:03 PM
(25-07-2014 11:30 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Anybody relate?

I write too much.

Yes. I'm similar - I don't discuss religion, other than here. Too much can of worms.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
25-07-2014, 03:22 PM
(25-07-2014 03:03 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(25-07-2014 11:30 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Anybody relate?

I write too much.

Yes. I'm similar - I don't discuss religion, other than here. Too much can of worms.
Have you ever thought about discussing it with friends/fam, but then decided not to because of said "can of worms"? Do your friends/fam ever talk about their beliefs?

25-07-2014, 03:29 PM
(25-07-2014 03:22 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(25-07-2014 03:03 PM)morondog Wrote:  Yes. I'm similar - I don't discuss religion, other than here. Too much can of worms.
Have you ever thought about discussing it with friends/fam, but then decided not to because of said "can of worms"? Do your friends/fam ever talk about their beliefs?

I have lost friends over it. I have one good mate whom I've been chirping for years who's a Christian, but he's a good guy... other than that, I no longer feel the need. TTA is good for me that way. I have challenged a bit - sometimes, on FB, someone'll put something too retarded up, and I'll chirp, but I don't make it obvious that it's from an atheist angle, and I don't push the anti-religion stuff.

Told family *once* due to... extreme circumstances. No comeback, but I decline to pursue it further. I don't bother them about it, they don't bother me. Fam (and friends, come to think of it) talk about their stuff pretty constantly - apart from bro, who's the same as me, it's part of their lives. Just normal.

I've made quite a lot of secular friends the last couple of years.

[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
25-07-2014, 03:31 PM
I must be a bad person. I talk about it with lots of people, and I'm very vocal atheist/anti-theist on my FB page. Lol. I think I gave up caring what people thought about my atheism a long time ago. But I can understand why most people are more cautious.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
25-07-2014, 03:38 PM
(25-07-2014 03:31 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I must be a bad person. I talk about it with lots of people, and I'm very vocal atheist/anti-theist on my FB page. Lol. I think I gave up caring what people thought about my atheism a long time ago. But I can understand why most people are more cautious.

It's not bad...

25-07-2014, 04:20 PM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2014 04:23 PM by Bows and Arrows.)
I'm a mixed bag. Hubby is a believer so I don't rock the boat with him except to raise a question now and then, he knows where I stand. His uber religious family is probably getting some strong hints because of my likes and occasional posts but none have dared to ask. His one niece knows, she is atheist too.

My daughters ages 9 & 11 and I discuss religion openly and freely. They both identify as agnostic. Both went with me and met Seth and stayed for his talk.

My siblings are mostly atheist. One brother fell for it when he married his Catholic wife, but he is
cool with everyone doing their own thing.

But I live in the south, border of NC & SC. I am hesitant to tell neighbors, or get into conversations with the parents of the children my kids choose. Pretty much we just say " we don't go to church". We moved to a new neighborhood recently. My girls became fast friends with the boy across the street. I couldn't help myself, I had to ask " did you go to church yesterday ?" It seems the only safe way to ask. His reply was that his family doesn't go to church. I told him we don't either and had a sigh if relief. While I met his parents and they seemed like a great couple it was nice to know we won't have that issue. I won't go so far to assume they are atheist but the fact that they live in the south and don't attend church is a good sign.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post