I'm surprised by the de-converted
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2013, 04:18 AM
RE: I'm surprised by the de-converted
(10-06-2013 10:09 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(10-06-2013 07:55 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  

Someone sent this video to me already. Because my daughter started hormones at 19 and is now 21 she passes as female. When you start much older, especially over the age of 25 it's harder to pull off.

Two weeks ago we were out to dinner and waiting for a table and this other family was sitting there waiting as well. From their conversation I could tell they were very religious church goers. One of the girls complimented my transgender daughter on her "cute pants". She had no idea. I thought, oh if these people knew she was transgender they'd probably get up and leave.

Sorry, sorry, I'm way off topic.

I knew a female to male trans in highschool nice guy (he always identified as a guy so thats how we all took him) can't say he didn't have his problems (normal high school bs is hard enough without being overtly different) but we had a big group of self identified "freaks" (not sure what we would have been called nowadays) and we rather protective of each other. There may or may not have been an incident where a particularly bigoted moron may or may not have had the shit beat out of him for harassing some of the weaker members, but I wouldn't know anything about that. Somehow he managed to get beat down in the middle of a packed lunchroom and no one saw anything, strangest thing.

Attitudes are changing (slowly) about the LGBT community but it seems like everyone knows at least 1 out person now and it's hard to hate someone with a face and a name that you grew up with. Humanising that community has really shifted the conversation and, maybe hopefully, in 20 years time it will be as much of a non-issue as mixed racial couples and children are today. Now I have a feeling the rise of the "Nones" in the recent polling is a direct result of this. Younger people are seeing the church for what it is bigoted tribalism and they don't want to be part of any group that is about hate. Some of the more liberal churches are already accepting LGBT members to try and swing the pendulum back but for every church like that you hear more from the WBC or Pat Robertson and that seems to be speeding up the de-conversion of America's youth.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post