I'm think I'm gonna read the god damn Koran (Quran)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2013, 05:53 PM
I'm think I'm gonna read the god damn Koran (Quran)
Lately I've been reading a few books about women in other societies particularly the Middle East and the Muslim world. I get so pissed reading how their lives are full of submission, the social pressure of female genital mutilation, marriage at very young ages, etc. They have little freedom particularly in Saudi Arabia.

Anyway, does anyone know which translation is the best one? I'm totally dumb about the Koran and feel it's high time I learn more about this belief system that rankles me to the core. I'm female and so grateful to be living in this society. We have problems and some inequalities but nothing like they do in the Muslim societies.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2013, 06:08 PM
RE: I'm think I'm gonna read the god damn Koran (Quran)
Any translation from Arabic is considered a "human" product. It's only accurate in Arabic evidently. There are also the Hadiths that Muslims refer to and use. Luckily it's only about as long as the NT so it's not too long.

I have been meaning to read it myself. According to Stephen Prothero who is the chair of the religion department at Boston University it's best to read it from back to front for people reading it the first time. Reading the Fatihah first, followed by the short Suras near the back, then the narratives of the prophets near the middle. The conclude with the long Suras at the front.

If you read it please let me know what you think!

Good luck.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
14-09-2013, 06:36 PM
I saw something recently that suggests that most translations are wrong.

It's generally assumed that it was written in Arabic, but certain passages are incoherent and nonsensical... when these passages are translated into Syrian-Aramaic, they suddenly become coherent.

Syrian-Aramaic is very similar in some ways to Arabic, and translation can be as simple as changing the position of dots in a word...

I think this is the same video...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-09-2013, 08:53 PM
(14-09-2013 06:36 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  I saw something recently that suggests that most translations are wrong.

It's generally assumed that it was written in Arabic, but certain passages are incoherent and nonsensical... when these passages are translated into Syrian-Aramaic, they suddenly become coherent.

Syrian-Aramaic is very similar in some ways to Arabic, and translation can be as simple as changing the position of dots in a word...

Thank you Paranoidsam. That was interesting. It's all a bunch of crap but I gotta find out exactly what almost 1 billion people on this planet believe in. From the little bits and pieces of the Koran I've read it sounds like I've got my work cut out for me. It looks like there aren't goofy stories like there are in the bible... Jonah and the whale and the Exodus and all that. From what I understand it's a bunch of rules. Am I correct?

“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
15-09-2013, 03:15 AM
(14-09-2013 08:53 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(14-09-2013 06:36 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  I saw something recently that suggests that most translations are wrong.

Thank you Paranoidsam. That was interesting. It's all a bunch of crap but I gotta find out exactly what almost 1 billion people on this planet believe in. From the little bits and pieces of the Koran I've read it sounds like I've got my work cut out for me. It looks like there aren't goofy stories like there are in the bible... Jonah and the whale and the Exodus and all that. From what I understand it's a bunch of rules. Am I correct?

No, it has plenty of wacky, too. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-09-2013, 03:25 AM
It's veeeeeeery boring. Like the bible.

But it is quite interesting to see which bits they've lifted from the Jewish stuff.

Enjoy.

And follow KidC's advice or we will beat you (with a feather Smile ) for disobedience.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
15-09-2013, 05:23 AM
Quote: I get so pissed reading how their lives are full of submission etc..

And so your answer to this is:

Quote:I'm think I'm gonna read the god damn Koran (Quran)

[Image: Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg]

Go home, you're obviously drunk.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
15-09-2013, 07:42 AM
The title of this thread reminds me of an old joke:

A very pious woman who is married to a very pious man goes to her local market. She's looking for something different for her family and asks the manager if there are any specials he would recommend. "Why yes", he responds, "for just this week we have a wonderful Dam Ham". "Why I never!" responds the woman. Realizing she thought he said "Damn Ham", the manager explains it's just the name of the ham and showes her the lable, and tells her it is the best ham on the market. Despite the odd, and almost blasphemous, name, she decides to buy it and feed it to her family.

That night at dinner while the family is eating dinner, her husband says "dear, this is quite delicious. What is it?" "Dam Ham", replies the wife. Hearing this, their teenage son shouts out "alright, now you're talking my language! Can someone pass me the fucking potatoes?".

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 6 users Like BnW's post
15-09-2013, 01:47 PM
dancefortwo if you want to read the Qur'an it does exist many translations in English language.

Altafsir.com (there are ten translations available in English. I only read some parts of the translation by Marmaduke Pickthall [Sunni Muslim] and Royal Aal al-Bayt Institute translation [The authors of this translation are Sunni Muslims])

Wikisource :
1.Abdullah Yusuf Ali (Third edition published in 1938) [The translator was a Bohra Muslim]
2.Maulana Muhammad Ali (First publication in 1917, this text based on the 1920 print [The translator was an ahmadi]).
3.Progressive Muslims Organization (2011) [This translation was made by Only Quran Muslims]

PS : This is better to read a translation by non-Muslims people because Muslims like mistranslates some ayaat voluntary.

If you have a question don't hesitate to ask here.
15-09-2013, 04:02 PM
(15-09-2013 07:42 AM)BnW Wrote:  The title of this thread reminds me of an old joke:

A very pious woman who is married to a very pious man goes to her local market. She's looking for something different for her family and asks the manager if there are any specials he would recommend. "Why yes", he responds, "for just this week we have a wonderful Dam Ham". "Why I never!" responds the woman. Realizing she thought he said "Damn Ham", the manager explains it's just the name of the ham and showes her the lable, and tells her it is the best ham on the market. Despite the odd, and almost blasphemous, name, she decides to buy it and feed it to her family.

That night at dinner while the family is eating dinner, her husband says "dear, this is quite delicious. What is it?" "Dam Ham", replies the wife. Hearing this, their teenage son shouts out "alright, now you're talking my language! Can someone pass me the fucking potatoes?".

Funny joke! .YesLaughat

Reading the Koran is a nutty idea or perhaps I'm turning into a masochist. Even so I'll tackle the damn thing. I read the bible but I've been an atheist my whole life so the bible has no meaning to me what so ever. Just a bunch of dumb stories (Spoiler Alert!) and towards the end of the book this girl gets knocked up and comes up with a hoot of a story about how it all happened. Grimm fairy stories are better and more fun. But at least I know most of what's in the bible yet I know nothing of the Koran. I've gotten more interested since watching Submission and reading all the stink about it and the murder of Theo van Gogh, the films director.

I hope it's ok to post the link to this film. It has veiled, darkly lit nudity. If not please feel free to remove it Mr Moderator.Thumbsup

[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post