I'm think I'm gonna read the god damn Koran (Quran)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2013, 05:37 PM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2013 06:27 PM by ShirubaDangan.)
RE: I'm think I'm gonna read the god damn Koran (Quran)
(15-09-2013 04:02 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(15-09-2013 07:42 AM)BnW Wrote:  The title of this thread reminds me of an old joke:

A very pious woman who is married to a very pious man goes to her local market. She's looking for something different for her family and asks the manager if there are any specials he would recommend. "Why yes", he responds, "for just this week we have a wonderful Dam Ham". "Why I never!" responds the woman. Realizing she thought he said "Damn Ham", the manager explains it's just the name of the ham and showes her the lable, and tells her it is the best ham on the market. Despite the odd, and almost blasphemous, name, she decides to buy it and feed it to her family.

That night at dinner while the family is eating dinner, her husband says "dear, this is quite delicious. What is it?" "Dam Ham", replies the wife. Hearing this, their teenage son shouts out "alright, now you're talking my language! Can someone pass me the fucking potatoes?".

Funny joke! .YesLaughat

Reading the Koran is a nutty idea or perhaps I'm turning into a masochist. Even so I'll tackle the damn thing. I read the bible but I've been an atheist my whole life so the bible has no meaning to me what so ever. Just a bunch of dumb stories (Spoiler Alert!) and towards the end of the book this girl gets knocked up and comes up with a hoot of a story about how it all happened. Grimm fairy stories are better and more fun. But at least I know most of what's in the bible yet I know nothing of the Koran. I've gotten more interested since watching Submission and reading all the stink about it and the murder of Theo van Gogh, the films director.

I hope it's ok to post the link to this film. It has veiled, darkly lit nudity. If not please feel free to remove it Mr Moderator.Thumbsup

Don't worry I have posted that video numerous times.

I believe most religions have never been kind to the female gender or any gender for that matter. Always trying to control human bodies telling them what they could or could not do and often times making them ashamed of the very body God apparently created but does not want seen or instigating inferiority. The Quran like the Bible has its own fair share of horrors but I unfortunately believe it is in a state even worse than Christianity is today. We forced Christianity to abandon its ugly habits and now its generally just intolerance with some strong form of violence at times. With Islam, I believe its more than simply that and of course not all Muslims are terrorists but belong to unfortunate parts of the world which has caused it to age slower unlike its older sibling religion.

Do not worry no gore is in the video below but it is still disturbing.

This needs to change and I am disgusted by that. I understand people say this is culture or tradition but I don't give two shits what it is but its not human. Its ugly and I don't agree with it as much as cutting female or male genitalia and abusing children in marriages like a recent video by TheThinkingAtheist.

Also, the last thing. Just like the Christian's many Muslims have never truly read the Quran. Most have just listened to the good parts that have been told to them ignoring much of the other parts.

Edit: Just begin the video at around 16 minutes or so. I am not too tech savvy on trying to get it to appear at a certain time but that is when they talk to the young suicide bombers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLDurT...1sko#t=952

(Entire show worth watching though. Sorry for inconvenience.)

This is an interesting video but I want to show at a point where they talk to young suicide bombers about their knowledge of the Quran which they all say is very little.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ShirubaDangan's post
15-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Don't forget to read "The Satanic Verses", and read Robert Spencer's books. The Qur'an was "assembled", just like the NT, and the original texts were not the current texts. Many parts of it were imported from already extant Arabic themes, myths and and poetry, and known myths circulating the ancient Near East, and some from other cultures. Any claim that the entire present text was "original" is easily demonstrably false. Islam was cooked up as a political tool, just like Christianity was used by the Romans, for the same purpose.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ns?page=25

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
15-09-2013, 06:38 PM
I don't think I'd recommend The Satanic Verses - at least not until after becoming familiar with the Qur'an or at least the life of Muhammad. The other way around and you'll never see what the hubbub was/is about.

I somewhat enjoyed The Satanic Verses for what it is; sardonic prose and a thinly veiled commentary partly inspired by Muhammad's life story. The very idea that it caused such an uproar for extremists who didn't even read it, will probably cause it's infamous reputation to outlive it's literary worth. Which is sad because it's a good way to get into the poetry of indian writing. I thought it was good but I have to admit, I was kind of disappointed it wasn't more scandalous or freaky.

But then... I'm not a religious zealot. Angel

DLJ is right - the Qur'an is a crap read and horribly written or translated, in this case. However, it is interesting to compare it to other religious materials. Then, if you get through it... will The Book of Mormon be the next on your reading list?? Shocking Laughat masochist

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
15-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Careful now.

Criticising Islam is racist, don't'cha know.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
15-09-2013, 07:10 PM
I agree. Not really necessary to read it. Just know that originally, the "cooker-uppers" had Ole Mo say things in the original text which were subsequently changed, and reminding Mulsims of that, caused a huge furor. He was made to say "The devil made me say that". But what he did say, (about the 3 divine daughters) are a very real clue to where and how, and from what sources, they created the new cult.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
15-09-2013, 07:31 PM
(15-09-2013 07:08 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Careful now.

Criticising Islam is racist, don't'cha know.

Consider Mmmmaybe making blanket statements about Muslims would be racist... but criticizing Islamist ideology ... ?

Nah; that's just atheist, don't'cha know. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
15-09-2013, 08:26 PM
(15-09-2013 05:37 PM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  
(15-09-2013 04:02 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Funny joke! .YesLaughat

Reading the Koran is a nutty idea or perhaps I'm turning into a masochist. Even so I'll tackle the damn thing. I read the bible but I've been an atheist my whole life so the bible has no meaning to me what so ever. Just a bunch of dumb stories (Spoiler Alert!) and towards the end of the book this girl gets knocked up and comes up with a hoot of a story about how it all happened. Grimm fairy stories are better and more fun. But at least I know most of what's in the bible yet I know nothing of the Koran. I've gotten more interested since watching Submission and reading all the stink about it and the murder of Theo van Gogh, the films director.

I hope it's ok to post the link to this film. It has veiled, darkly lit nudity. If not please feel free to remove it Mr Moderator.Thumbsup

Don't worry I have posted that video numerous times.

I believe most religions have never been kind to the female gender or any gender for that matter. Always trying to control human bodies telling them what they could or could not do and often times making them ashamed of the very body God apparently created but does not want seen or instigating inferiority. The Quran like the Bible has its own fair share of horrors but I unfortunately believe it is in a state even worse than Christianity is today. We forced Christianity to abandon its ugly habits and now its generally just intolerance with some strong form of violence at times. With Islam, I believe its more than simply that and of course not all Muslims are terrorists but belong to unfortunate parts of the world which has caused it to age slower unlike its older sibling religion.

Do not worry no gore is in the video below but it is still disturbing.

This needs to change and I am disgusted by that. I understand people say this is culture or tradition but I don't give two shits what it is but its not human. Its ugly and I don't agree with it as much as cutting female or male genitalia and abusing children in marriages like a recent video by TheThinkingAtheist.

Also, the last thing. Just like the Christian's many Muslims have never truly read the Quran. Most have just listened to the good parts that have been told to them ignoring much of the other parts.

Edit: Just begin the video at around 16 minutes or so. I am not too tech savvy on trying to get it to appear at a certain time but that is when they talk to the young suicide bombers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLDurT...1sko#t=952

(Entire show worth watching though. Sorry for inconvenience.)

This is an interesting video but I want to show at a point where they talk to young suicide bombers about their knowledge of the Quran which they all say is very little.

I couldn't watch the hand cutting. Just couldn't. The whipping of the poor woman I remember being on one of the nightly news shows. NBC or something like that. But they never show the whole thing on US news stations. These videos are cleaned up, edited down to 10 second sound bites and sanitized for American audiences because Americans are too delicate (:hoboSmile to see stuff like that. Hell, I should talk I couldn't watch the hand cutting.

I keep hoping that with all the mass e-communication, facebook and twitter, that women in fundamentalist Muslim countries would learn to rise up against the tyranny but... well...religion brainwashes like it's nobody's business.

So reading the koran will take me quite some time. I'll report back in a year or so with a book review, that is if my brain doesn't rot first.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
15-09-2013, 08:35 PM
(15-09-2013 05:23 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote: I get so pissed reading how their lives are full of submission etc..

And so your answer to this is:

Quote:I'm think I'm gonna read the god damn Koran (Quran)

[Image: Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg]

Go home, you're obviously drunk.

Not drunk.....insane maybe..... but not drunk.

I'm an odd atheist, I don't drink, hate the taste of alcohol in any form, don't smoke nor curse too much. People think I'm a christian and then when I tell them I'm a freethinking atheist they are totally stunned. And I LOVE it when that happens! Yes! It's so much fun. It messes with their christ lovin' minds. Hee hee hee.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
19-11-2013, 04:14 AM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2013 08:06 AM by kingschosen.)
DELETED SPAM. DO NOT SPAM AGAIN. THIS IS YOUR ONE AND ONLY WARNING.

Learn Quran with Tajweed
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-11-2013, 04:55 AM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2013 08:07 AM by kingschosen.)
DELETED THE QUOTED SPAM

Fuck your bullshit. Anyone can read the Quran without you holding their hands to make sure they have the 'correct' interpretation.

As a sidenote, can a mod or admin either delete that post and/or ban someone that posts a straight up advert? Thanks.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]