I'm tobacco free - but not nicotine free.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2016, 05:17 AM
RE: I'm tobacco free - but not nicotine free.
(03-03-2016 01:37 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(02-03-2016 09:01 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Also, is the phenomenon of switching to Vaping happening outside the US?

It is. At an alarming rate, I would say. I see more and more people doing it, thinking that it's 100% safe, which makes them use it even more often that actual cigarettes, some keeping it on their hands all day.

I can't speak for all who vape, but I assume there is still some risk. The data, though far from extensive, does still suggest it's waayyy safer than smoking and dipping/chewing. The same can be said for powdered snuff, and snus. There is no record that powdered snuff has ever caused cancer, ever. It's the oldest known form of tobacco use, and was at one time much more commonly used than today. That's evidence enough to me that that it's probably safer than smoking or dipping. Again, I still assume there are risks, but taking fewer risks, and being able to moderate your consumption of nicotine (a chemical which itself may not be very dangerous, aside from it's addictive properties) is a good alternative than smoking in my opinion. Also seems to be a good tool for those who want to quit to me. Hoping I'm right. Smile

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2016, 05:23 AM
(03-03-2016 04:11 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  Until almost 2 years ago, I was a 20 - 30 cigarettes a day guy. I also, strangely, kept myself fit by running. I even stopped for a fag break during the marathons that I ran. Yeh, crazy, I know.

I tried to stop zillions of times over many years. I tried gum, patches and even hypnotherapy. Nothing worked or even came close. I couldn't even manage 24 hours without a cigarette. Without a cigarette, I felt ill. I felt as though the world was coming in at me. The world felt larger than life. I was as cranky as hell. I wasn't normal without a cigarette. The first thing that I did when I woke each morning was to have a cigarette. Plane journeys were the worst, and UK airports. I liked the Greek airports. They were very tolerant of smokers.

Then, one day, I got out of bed and stopped smoking. I haven't had one since. I haven't even wanted one since. I've had no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever. I can't explain it. The only conclusion that I can come to is that I wanted to stop this time. In the past, did I want to stop? If I were completely honest? No. And there may be the difference. Do you REALLY want to stop or do you just think that you ought to?

Oh. people claim that one feels better when one quits smoking. I didn't and, after two years, I still don't.

I honestly wish you all the best.

That's an interesting story. Perhaps your diet or distractions and stress helped you? I am worried about the airports. I have to fly about halfway around the world once a year. I doubt I will have quit completely prior to my next trip. I usually dipped, very casually and inconspicuously. I can't really do that with vaping. I am pretty tempting to take a can of dip with me.

03-03-2016, 06:02 AM
(03-03-2016 05:23 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 04:11 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  Until almost 2 years ago, I was a 20 - 30 cigarettes a day guy. I also, strangely, kept myself fit by running. I even stopped for a fag break during the marathons that I ran. Yeh, crazy, I know.

I tried to stop zillions of times over many years. I tried gum, patches and even hypnotherapy. Nothing worked or even came close. I couldn't even manage 24 hours without a cigarette. Without a cigarette, I felt ill. I felt as though the world was coming in at me. The world felt larger than life. I was as cranky as hell. I wasn't normal without a cigarette. The first thing that I did when I woke each morning was to have a cigarette. Plane journeys were the worst, and UK airports. I liked the Greek airports. They were very tolerant of smokers.

Then, one day, I got out of bed and stopped smoking. I haven't had one since. I haven't even wanted one since. I've had no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever. I can't explain it. The only conclusion that I can come to is that I wanted to stop this time. In the past, did I want to stop? If I were completely honest? No. And there may be the difference. Do you REALLY want to stop or do you just think that you ought to?

Oh. people claim that one feels better when one quits smoking. I didn't and, after two years, I still don't.

I honestly wish you all the best.

That's an interesting story. Perhaps your diet or distractions and stress helped you? I am worried about the airports. I have to fly about halfway around the world once a year. I doubt I will have quit completely prior to my next trip. I usually dipped, very casually and inconspicuously. I can't really do that with vaping. I am pretty tempting to take a can of dip with me.

To this day, and for sure, I still have no idea why I stopped, how I stopped and why I didn't get and withdrawal symptoms. I talked to my quack about a year ago when I had my annual check up. He was mystified too. He said that I should have had withdrawal symptoms.

For the record, I didn't change my diet, nothing changed distraction or stress-wise. I simply quit. What's also odd is that the night before I quit, I had no intentions of quitting next day.

I can't explain any of this. All I can tell you is - it happened just the way I'm telling it.

I was terrified of withdrawal symptoms. When I tried to quit and failed in the past, I had them real bad. It's why I tried to quit less and less as I got older. They turned me into someone else. It was horrible. The world just seemed, louder, brighter and bigger. It was as though my senses were on overload. I wouldn't wish them on anyone. It all stopped as soon as I'd had a cigarette. I was then normal - well, as normal as I'm ever going to get.

When I quit a couple of years ago, I didn't get any withdrawal symptoms at all.

Look, if I can do it, so can you. I was a chain smoker.

The best advice I can give is - don't quit because others want you to. Don't quit because you feel that you need to. IMHO, those don't mean anything to a nicotine addict. Do it because you want to. Also, don't put unnecessary constraints on yourself. If you quit and you fancy some nicotine at some point in the future, you can always have some because the only person that is stopping you is yourself. If you succeed, good for you. If you don't, try again using another strategy.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
03-03-2016, 06:05 AM
(03-03-2016 04:11 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  Oh. people claim that one feels better when one quits smoking. I didn't and, after two years, I still don't.

Hey, don't scare him Tongue
Quitting smoking has a lot to do with how you feel about smoking. It took my brother just a book reading to quit it in an instant and never crave for it again. He now feels healthier and doesn't miss cigarettes at all.
Once you realize that smoking does not make you feel better there's no other reason to want it other than addiction. And that can be overcome.

I hope you will eventually feel better.

(03-03-2016 05:17 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I can't speak for all who vape, but I assume there is still some risk. The data, though far from extensive, does still suggest it's waayyy safer than smoking and dipping/chewing. The same can be said for powdered snuff, and snus. There is no record that powdered snuff has ever caused cancer, ever. It's the oldest known form of tobacco use, and was at one time much more commonly used than today. That's evidence enough to me that that it's probably safer than smoking or dipping. Again, I still assume there are risks, but taking fewer risks, and being able to moderate your consumption of nicotine (a chemical which itself may not be very dangerous, aside from it's addictive properties) is a good alternative than smoking in my opinion. Also seems to be a good tool for those who want to quit to me. Hoping I'm right. Smile

I know what you mean, I'm just telling you that it seems to be a slippery slope. The safer you think it is, the more you use it. And since it's more convenient than a cigarette, you can vape all day, non-stop. I've seen too many people like that and that is why I told you about it.

I have to say though, smoking is big in Greece. There's no prohibition whatsoever and everyone smokes everywhere and quite a lot. Perhaps that's the reason.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
03-03-2016, 06:08 AM
Such a charming drug, nicotine ---

[Image: 431307819_2780764_xlarge.jpeg]

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
03-03-2016, 06:10 AM
(03-03-2016 06:08 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Such a charming drug, nicotine ---

So which drug do you recommend?Smile

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
03-03-2016, 06:16 AM
(03-03-2016 06:10 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 06:08 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Such a charming drug, nicotine ---

So which drug do you recommend?Smile

None really - and I tried a bunch......

Incidentally --- a person does not "experiment with drugs".

If it's an experiment you need people in lab jackets, clipboards and a control group....

Hiding out in the basement with a head full of acid, amyl nitrate and nitrous oxide doesn't count as "experimentation".

Just an FYI....

Hobo

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
03-03-2016, 07:00 AM
I'm tobacco free - but not nicotine free.
Yes I vape. You have to find the right mod or set up and the right juice to help you quit. Look up IndoorSmokers and Tiavapes on YouTube. They have a ton of reviews on different ecigs. I haven't had a cig in a long time. I smoked the most after mom died. But vaping is so much better!!!! Good luck to you!
03-03-2016, 10:48 AM
(02-03-2016 10:38 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(02-03-2016 09:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Been tobacco free for decades now. I was a Copenhagen snuff addict for decades. Started coughing up black shit. Nicorette gum placed between the cheek and gum like Copenhagen is what I do.

Still using the gum after all this time?

Yup. My nicotine levels have never been higher. Read a pubmed paper suggesting it may ward off or delay Alzheimer's.

(02-03-2016 10:38 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  And coughing it up? Were you using the oldschool powdered dry snuff, or moist snuff? I've never heard of a dipper coughing anything up as a result of dipping in my life - and I know a load of dippers between being a hillbilly and being in the military.

The moister the better. Old dry Copenhagen is awful. As far as coughing shit up, I inevitably ended up swallowing some of the juice. After about a decade of that I started coughing up black shit.

(02-03-2016 10:38 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Vaping is keeping me sane. For those of you interested in trying it, it's not the same feeling as smoking. I used it few a few days before I could use it without coughing, but again I wasn't a smoker either.

I tried it. Didn't do it for me because the act of putting the nicorette between my lip and gum resembles the act of dipping more.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
03-03-2016, 05:48 PM
(03-03-2016 06:05 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  I know what you mean, I'm just telling you that it seems to be a slippery slope. The safer you think it is, the more you use it. And since it's more convenient than a cigarette, you can vape all day, non-stop. I've seen too many people like that and that is why I told you about it.

I have to say though, smoking is big in Greece. There's no prohibition whatsoever and everyone smokes everywhere and quite a lot. Perhaps that's the reason.

I think that Greece and America differ on this quite a bit. The places you are legally allowed to smoke are very limited. The overwhelming number of private businesses do not allow smoking indoors either. There is more leeway for vaping, but most businesses treat it as smoking for most intents and purposes. People who do switch from smoking to vaping do tend do vape more than they smoke, however from my observations most of those still don't vape all day except for those who work in a Vape shop.

It should also be noted that vaping tends to contain much less nicotine than cigarettes. Most vapors I know choose to use 6mg concentrate of nicotine which is supposed to be roughly the equivalent of 1/4th the amount of cigarettes. I use 12 mg currently. Additionally vaping does not include inhaling smoke and the other chemicals found in cigarettes and cigars.

As I said earlier, vaping may not be safer than nicotine abstinence, but it is probably safer than smoking, even if you vape more than smoking. Either way I don't tend to vape excessively.