I'm yer Huckleberry. Blowmedown.
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2014, 12:10 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2014 12:13 AM by evenheathen.)
RE: I'm yer Huckleberry. Blowmedown.
Quote:The curious observation of apparent fine tunings...

Bravo on that phrase. It's almost subtle, but well done. I can't tell if it was deliberate or if you really can't see the world more objectively than that.

It's a nice little statistical equation that you have there, and as it stands I can't argue with the maths, even as simple as it is. Actually it's more likely because of how simple it is.

Yet it doesn't really reflect any merit to a skeptical mind. I'm a pretty simple guy, not a lot of formal edumecation. However I like to reckon I'm fairly sharp here and there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but recently I believe I heard you refer to only really being a weak theist or a deist at best. I fail to see why you have to come here to try and bust some balls other than just an unfortunate personality clash and you having nothing better to do with your life. That's sad, bro.

I'm an atheist by strict definition, an agnostic also because of definition, a freethinker because I refuse to close my mind.

Most important of all, I'm a skeptic. When I lost my faith, there was a huge part of my worldview that essentially just fell apart. Everything got put under a microscope and a lot of my way of dealing with existence was wiped away and I've been putting my worldview back into place very slowly and with extreme caution.

When I talked about Ockham's razor, I was talking about the bullshit filter that I have placed over the intake valve of my conscience.

I have no qualms with the universe being the product of an intellect. Actually as an atheist it's kinda trippy to think about, because who knows? That's why everything is so intriguing. We have no idea but it's fun to try to find out. So far there is no good evidence other than our own ego's bias that there is an intellect greater than the universe itself, and it's not a product of an extremely ancient, eternal existence that happens to look like this at the moment.

I don't know. But my mind tells me that given the extreme scale of things both big and small that we can't understand, even if there was a reason for our existence, it's not for us to know and never was intended that we could. We are an anomaly in the void, and have been forgotten by any intellect that would have cared.

At least that's the conclusion I've come to, so you can have your maths and your ego.
I'm going to have another bourbon.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
09-03-2014, 02:45 AM
(09-03-2014 02:33 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  When I was younger, and reading a lot of Sci-Fi, I used to wonder if ideas like James Lovelock's Gaia.

I wondered what, on a very large scale over the span of eons, was the practical difference between "intelligence," and an extremely complex system making slow and tedious changes, (mistakes included), that seems to behave intelligently.

Not a supreme being, not a single entity, but the net affect of the machinations of processes like evolution.

I had this vague idea that evolution or nature seemed to behave like a child: Exploring more complex parts without really understanding what they were for; with little regard for the outcome.

Is that "God," I wondered? The idea either offended or got laughed at every time I brought it up, so I stopped.

I'm still fascinated by the ideas of hive minds, Teilhard's Noosphere, and other woo-y metaphysics. They're fun thought exercises, if nothing else.

Agreed. I know this is the boxing ring, but there has been an intermission due to Blowme's recent suspension. Blowme should come back to answer, maybe he'd have something worthwhile to say.

http://www.physics.princeton.edu/ph115/LQ.pdf

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
09-03-2014, 12:38 PM
Thread closed until Blowme returns. I set a reminder even to reopen it.

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

14-03-2014, 08:12 PM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2014 08:15 PM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(09-03-2014 12:10 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Correct me if I'm wrong, but recently I believe I heard you refer to only really being a weak theist or a deist at best. I fail to see why you have to come here to try and bust some balls other than just an unfortunate personality clash and you having nothing better to do with your life. That's sad, bro.

A while back, my wife and I were having dinner with another couple. The other couple asked how it was that we met. My wife goes into this story about how she always prayed she would find a man that loves God. I mulled that over for the rest of the evening. Am I a man who loves God I asked myself? Well truth be told, I think about God a lot, at least everyday if not several times a day. I came to the conclusion that yes I do love God even though my beliefs are very deistic. I come here because I like to talk about what I love. If I loved guns or sports or something else, I'd be in another forum busting balls.

Are you up for round two? I think there are other reasons to believe the universe is the product of an intellect other than some elegant math.

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?
[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post
Thread Closed