I made an atheist YouTube channel. ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2017, 06:03 AM
Video I made an atheist YouTube channel. ?
Hey, all of you!

I know I don't post here much at all, but I would greatly appreciate some input as I made a YouTube channel recently to try to help promote a stronger connection between atheism and positivity. I am a huge fan of Hemant Mehta (aka The Friendly Atheist) as well as of Seth Andrews,but I felt like I wanted to take the friendly attitude a half-step further and try to avoid sarcasm whenever there are better ways to answer a theist's questions.

Here is where I've got to mention this: I have Nonverbal Learning Disabilities (beats me why it's called that, since I learned to speak right on time and haven't been "nonverbal" since...) which is a kind of autism. I don't always get other people's jokes and often take them seriously because I miss the nonverbal cues and little tiny hints the joking person gives to signify that they are kidding, which can quickly lead to (usually minor) interpersonal disaster. I know most people are better at sensing these hidden social cues than I am, but not everyone. I can't seriously believe I'm the worst at it in the world. Wink

Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally clueless, but I have a lot of moments when I couldn't even guess why someone thinks something is funny. Or, strangely enough, why they don't think something is funny while I can't stop laughing at it.

Okay, back to my point...

I made a channel on YouTube a short while back that I planned to fill with informative videos, and maybe a few related vlogs, but I'm uncertain where to begin. I'm hoping someone reading this will have some tips for me on how to start a new atheism channel effectively. I have a few scripts ready, but they vary in terms of friendliness vs. humor. Also, should I start with an intro video to welcome new subscribers? Or should I wait to do that until I have a few other videos ready and uploaded?

Lastly, I have very limited options as far as making and editing the videos. I bought Camtasia Studio 8 a few years ago to help me edit my gaming videos, but I can't afford to upgrade to version 9, so I'm stuck with the old one. If anyone knows of a decent free tool that would help me with any part of this ongoing task, I would be very grateful to read about it.

If not, could you please leave a reply to recommend some topics I should start with? Questions to answer about atheism? Anything else interesting I should go over in my first few videos? Or tips about running an atheism channel in general?

Thank you all so much!
Rebecca

Agnostic: 1985 - 1990 (age: 0 - 5)
Jewish: 1990 - 2001 (5 - 14)
Atheist: 2001 - 2008 (14 - 22)
Baptist: 2008 - 2009 (22, a few short months)
Atheist: 2009 - Now... (22 - 31 and counting!)
Wow, that Christianity phase sure lasted a while, didn't it? But don't worry, I found my way. Atheism!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2017, 06:27 AM
RE: I made an atheist YouTube channel. ?
(06-04-2017 06:03 AM)Rebecca Ripple Wrote:  Lastly, I have very limited options as far as making and editing the videos. I bought Camtasia Studio 8 a few years ago to help me edit my gaming videos, but I can't afford to upgrade to version 9, so I'm stuck with the old one. If anyone knows of a decent free tool that would help me with any part of this ongoing task, I would be very grateful to read about it.

Can't really help with the rest but for this. You can try OpenShot

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
06-04-2017, 06:36 AM
(06-04-2017 06:27 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(06-04-2017 06:03 AM)Rebecca Ripple Wrote:  Lastly, I have very limited options as far as making and editing the videos. I bought Camtasia Studio 8 a few years ago to help me edit my gaming videos, but I can't afford to upgrade to version 9, so I'm stuck with the old one. If anyone knows of a decent free tool that would help me with any part of this ongoing task, I would be very grateful to read about it.

Can't really help with the rest but for this. You can try OpenShot

Thanks for the tip! Much appreciated. I'm downloading it now. Big Grin

Wow, that Christianity phase sure lasted a while, didn't it? But don't worry, I found my way. Atheism!
[+] 1 user Likes Rebecca Ripple's post
06-04-2017, 06:41 AM
(06-04-2017 06:36 AM)Rebecca Ripple Wrote:  
(06-04-2017 06:27 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Can't really help with the rest but for this. You can try OpenShot

Thanks for the tip! Much appreciated. I'm downloading it now. Big Grin

No problem. Hope it does what you need it to.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
06-04-2017, 07:25 AM
I'd talk about that curious Jew-atheist-Baptist and back bit.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
06-04-2017, 07:30 AM
(06-04-2017 07:25 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'd talk about that curious Jew-atheist-Baptist and back bit.

That's what I was thinking for my intro video, yep. I had a pretty positive experience, but I just recognize that enjoyable times don't equal valid points. So starting shortly after 9/11, during which I was in my freshman year of high school, I started examining the views I'd been raised with and the facts I had access to at the time, and long story short, it led me to atheism. Smile

06-04-2017, 07:33 AM
Welcome!

I also have an atheist/sceptic/miscellanious channel with a load of videos on it, but it's not very professional yet so I'm probably not much use.

It's certainly a great thing to do, especially to shatter the misconceptions some people still have about what atheism is.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2017, 07:33 AM
(06-04-2017 07:25 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'd talk about that curious Jew-atheist-Baptist and back bit.

Thank you for the reply, by the way! Big Grin

06-04-2017, 07:37 AM
(06-04-2017 07:33 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Welcome!

I also have an atheist/sceptic/miscellanious channel with a load of videos on it, but it's not very professional yet so I'm probably not much use.

It's certainly a great thing to do, especially to shatter the misconceptions some people still have about what atheism is.

Thanks very much, Robvalue!

By the way, I just took my first look at your website. It looks really cool! Smile I'll be looking for your YouTube channel, too... Expect an extra subscriber today!

[+] 1 user Likes Rebecca Ripple's post
06-04-2017, 07:40 AM
You're welcome Smile

Oh, thanks very much! I'm glad you like my website. I appreciate you taking a look. My channel is under this same name, I hope you find something of interest! I wish I had the energy to make more videos.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post