I make no apology for holding religion in contempt.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2017, 07:47 AM
RE: I make no apology for holding religion in contempt.
I will never apologize for including all religions worldwide in saying, "That was then, this is now."

I will also never apologize for saying every religion has been used to justify harm to others.

Now, having said that, criticism and blasphemy of religion is one thing, but carpet bombing presumption of guilt is not ok.

I don't find any religion at all credible. I see them as mere artificial constructs and bad guesses humans make up to claim patents on morality.

Having said that, I don't think even in the context of challenging social norms, which I am fine with, we should ever loose sight that we are still NOT a separate species. I can and do see good in religious people, I only disagree when they claim our ability to be good is coming from a divine place.

One of my favorite shows was MASH, I look back at it now and still hate the religious overtones some episodes convey. But I still saw the decency in it too, like when BJ and Hawkeye stuck up for the victims in the war even if they were not Americans.

I think we have it within all of us, despite any criticism or blasphemy to value any non violent innocent human regardless if we don't like some of the things they may claim.

I will never be afraid of blasting religiously justified violence, but there is no one religion that owns a patent on human cruelty. I also refuse to assume the guilt of entire groups just because of the actions of others in the same group.

You CAN attack the claim without being a bigot. You can protect the innocent and non violent too.

I hate ISIS, i hate the HEBDO attackers and I hate what that sicko did in NYC. But I refuse to assume by mere proxy of label everyone under it will automatically become violent.

I also don't ignore that the bible and Jewish OT have also been used to justify harm to others. I still refuse to loose my sense of humanity in the face of the bad acts of others.

Are the Koran and Hadiths used to justify violence? Yes, but Islam didn't invent human cruelty. I know far too much about Europe and America's history to know it isn't a patent owned by one label.

What matters to me first and foremost with any fellow human is if you value non violence, even in the face of criticism and blasphemy, I value your rights. If you use your holy book, be it the Koran, Bible, Torah Talmud, to justify violence and oppression of others, i will call you out.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
02-11-2017, 07:50 AM
Fear, indoctrination and peer pressure does not equal stupid.

Lack of curiosity, the ability to think for yourself and lack of courage don’t equal ’stupid’ either but it sure does seem that way. Drinking Beverage

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Full Circle's post
02-11-2017, 07:59 AM
(02-11-2017 07:47 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  If you use your holy book, be it the Koran, Bible, Torah Talmud, to justify violence and oppression of others, i will call you out.

Our species had an evolutionary history which predisposes us to resorting to violence in many situations in the present. This is likely unalterable. However, we can stop rationalizing this predisposition, given the information we now possess. Religious and nationalistic ideas can now be seen as rationalizations, and paradoxically there would be much less violence if we dropped them. Why? Because we would be on guard against self-righteous rationalizations of our biological tendencies, which we all possess and which were much better suited to times long past.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
02-11-2017, 08:00 AM
(02-11-2017 07:50 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Fear, indoctrination and peer pressure does not equal stupid.

Lack of curiosity, the ability to think for yourself and lack of courage don’t equal ’stupid’ either but it sure does seem that way. Drinking Beverage

Believing stupid shit is stupid.
02-11-2017, 08:03 AM
Who asked for an apology?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 3 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
02-11-2017, 08:06 AM
(02-11-2017 08:00 AM)ImFred Wrote:  
(02-11-2017 07:50 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Fear, indoctrination and peer pressure does not equal stupid.

Believing stupid shit is stupid.

Smile

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
02-11-2017, 08:06 AM
Quote:I will never be afraid of blasting religiously justified violence, but there is no one religion that owns a patent on human cruelty. I also refuse to assume the guilt of entire groups just because of the actions of others in the same group.

If you’re Catholic and you know how institutionalized child abuse is within your religious structure and you don’t disassociate yourself from Catholicism you’re a piece of shit. Yes, I’m a bigot against people who support bad things.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
02-11-2017, 08:08 AM
(02-11-2017 07:40 AM)ImFred Wrote:  I’m sick of people pussyfooting around the fact that religious people are stupid. I don’t give a fuck how good you are at math, if you believe something stupid just because your mother believed something stupid then you’re fucking stupid.
You're trying to equate emotions with intelligence. They're not equivalent or comparable.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 5 users Like Impulse's post
02-11-2017, 08:10 AM
(02-11-2017 08:08 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(02-11-2017 07:40 AM)ImFred Wrote:  I’m sick of people pussyfooting around the fact that religious people are stupid. I don’t give a fuck how good you are at math, if you believe something stupid just because your mother believed something stupid then you’re fucking stupid.
You're trying to equate emotions with intelligence. They're not equivalent or comparable.

Emotions make everything more complicated, on every side of any question.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
02-11-2017, 08:14 AM
(02-11-2017 03:22 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Indeed, when recently I saw a theist offering apologetics, and called the theist out, I was attacked. By the administrator!
I didn't see this incident, but on the face of it, it doesn't sound like something an administrator would question unless it has more to do with how you called out the theist.

(02-11-2017 03:22 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Why should I be patient with this?
I suppose it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you simply want to make yourself feel better, then there is no reason to be patient. If you really want to change things, then there are often plenty of reasons to be patient - but there are times when it does make more sense to let loose too - every situation is different.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post