I make no apology for holding religion in contempt.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2017, 08:19 AM
RE: I make no apology for holding religion in contempt.
(02-11-2017 08:08 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(02-11-2017 07:40 AM)ImFred Wrote:  I’m sick of people pussyfooting around the fact that religious people are stupid. I don’t give a fuck how good you are at math, if you believe something stupid just because your mother believed something stupid then you’re fucking stupid.
You're trying to equate emotions with intelligence. They're not equivalent or comparable.

Belief isn’t an emotion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2017, 08:26 AM
(02-11-2017 08:19 AM)ImFred Wrote:  
(02-11-2017 08:08 AM)Impulse Wrote:  You're trying to equate emotions with intelligence. They're not equivalent or comparable.

Belief isn’t an emotion.

Yes, but emotions rather than intelligence are often the reasons for beliefs. Intelligence is only involved for rationalizations, if called for at all.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
02-11-2017, 08:31 AM
If your emotions cause you to be stupid you’re still stupid.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
02-11-2017, 08:51 AM
(02-11-2017 08:31 AM)ImFred Wrote:  If your emotions cause you to be stupid you’re still stupid.
I guess it's a good thing then that emotions cause no one to be stupid. They can, however, lead to poor responses.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
02-11-2017, 09:15 AM
(02-11-2017 08:06 AM)ImFred Wrote:  
Quote:I will never be afraid of blasting religiously justified violence, but there is no one religion that owns a patent on human cruelty. I also refuse to assume the guilt of entire groups just because of the actions of others in the same group.

If you’re Catholic and you know how institutionalized child abuse is within your religious structure and you don’t disassociate yourself from Catholicism you’re a piece of shit. Yes, I’m a bigot against people who support bad things.

If I believed Catholicism was "the truth", I would have remained Catholic regardless of institutionalized child abuse, etc. Might as well stop being human because a lot of humans are assholes. I subscribe to religious beliefs (or not) based on their truth value, and I got out of Catholicism when I realized the teachings were bullshit. It had nothing to do with the behavior of anyone in the hierarchy.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
02-11-2017, 09:49 AM
(02-11-2017 03:22 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Unlike many here, I have been an atheist my entire life. I was never a theist. Perhaps this is something that cannot be felt by those who were so easily fooled in the past?

If you were never a theist, good for you, but I suspect that had more to do with your parents than you. Children are inherently "easily fooled" -- they tend to believe whatever their parents tell them, at least for the first few years. If you had been indoctrinated as a child by Catholics or Muslims, you would have been a theist until you were old enough to figure out that it was bullshit, just like a lot of the rest of us.

Please don't insinuate that all ex-theists are "fools". I am not a fool, and don't appreciate being called one. Unless you had an adult mind and reasoning capability as an infant (and I highly doubt that), you were simply lucky enough not to be indoctrinated.
[+] 12 users Like Grasshopper's post
02-11-2017, 10:26 AM
(02-11-2017 09:49 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(02-11-2017 03:22 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Unlike many here, I have been an atheist my entire life. I was never a theist. Perhaps this is something that cannot be felt by those who were so easily fooled in the past?

Please don't insinuate that all ex-theists are "fools". I am not a fool, and don't appreciate being called one. Unless you had an adult mind and reasoning capability as an infant (and I highly doubt that), you were simply lucky enough not to be indoctrinated.

No newborn has any ability to "reason" in the logical sense; we develop our reasoning skills as we approach puberty. As infant researcher Daniel N. Stern noted, it's only around 18 months that children begin to even show evidence of self-awareness. This evidence includes: infants' behaviour in front of a mirror, their use of verbal labels for self, and empathic acts [The Interpersonal World of the Infant, 1985].

And to make the rash generalisation that all former theists are "fools" is patently absurd. In fact, according to a 2009 Pew Research Center poll, 33% of scientists said they believed in God, while overall, 51% believed in some form of deity or higher power. Consider these theist scientists for example...

Michael Hulme, Andrew Pinsent, Lise Meitner, Stanley Jaki, William Phillips, Gerhard Etrl, Francis Collins et al.

Would Banjo call any of them "fools"? If so, he's a braver man than I am, Gunga Din. Tongue

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
02-11-2017, 10:41 AM
Not all theists are fools.

Some are liars.
Hobo

Seriously, people can be (and often are) foolish in certain areas of their lives while entirely functional and even brilliant in others. That's just the way the human mind works.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
02-11-2017, 11:19 AM
(02-11-2017 09:15 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(02-11-2017 08:06 AM)ImFred Wrote:  If you’re Catholic and you know how institutionalized child abuse is within your religious structure and you don’t disassociate yourself from Catholicism you’re a piece of shit. Yes, I’m a bigot against people who support bad things.

If I believed Catholicism was "the truth", I would have remained Catholic regardless of institutionalized child abuse, etc. Might as well stop being human because a lot of humans are assholes. I subscribe to religious beliefs (or not) based on their truth value, and I got out of Catholicism when I realized the teachings were bullshit. It had nothing to do with the behavior of anyone in the hierarchy.

If it looks like a buttcrack and tastes like ass it shouldn’t take much to figure out it ain’t chocolate.
02-11-2017, 11:29 AM
(02-11-2017 11:19 AM)ImFred Wrote:  If it looks like a buttcrack and tastes like ass it shouldn’t take much to figure out it ain’t chocolate.
So then you must not like our Constitution because many of the people who are supposed to uphold it are corrupt.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post