I may be a little bit drunk...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2010, 07:12 PM

I may be a little bit drunk...
But i still think i can write a coherent sentence or two.

Anyway, i just wanted to share with you a thought that has been dwelling on my mind for a couple of weeks now.

In a previous debate, the idea that god was not able to do anything logically impossible was established (see post, the heavy rock paradox).

Now, if god has logical restrictions, what about things that are indirectly logically impossible? F. ex. moving faster then the speed of light.

Now, it has been theorized that if you were to move faster then the speed of light then you would reach you're destination before you started moving (think of a bullet fired from a gun faster then the speed of light, the bullet would hit it's target before it was fired). This breaks the law of causality, the fact that the effect of an action cannot precede it's cause.
If a god is incapable of moving faster then the speed of light then said god would have certain physical restrictions and what would then make him greater then any other living animal?

Anyways, all input and comments will be appreciated.

NF
Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2010, 07:31 PM
RE: I may be a little bit drunk...
I've reached the conclusion that the concept of omnipotence is, in fact, logically contradictory.

*shrugs*

Not that it does much good during a debate.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2010, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2010 07:35 PM by ashley.hunt60.)
Haha, booze.

Things that we consider logically impossible are just the obvious of the logic impossibilities. You're right, just because something isn't instinctively impossible doesn't mean it's any less of a law of nature.

Of course I've come to realize a big difference between christian scientists and real scientists. Real scientists seek to have their models fit reality. Christian scientists seek to have reality fit their models.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
26-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Can God make a round square?

27-03-2010, 12:38 AM

It's fun to make conjectural observations about fantasy, but it's not much more than an intellectual exercise and has no intrinsic value to the 'real' world. But if you want to get together for a drink, I'll talk about this shit all night.
Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Can god create a stone he can´t lift?

In any case he isn´t omnipotent after all^^

But of course he can

Like he can not exist but still be admired by 90 per cent of the worlds population^^