I may not be back for some time

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2017, 07:58 PM
I may not be back for some time
I'm going to write my thoughts/feelings out and hopefully someone has some ideas. I'm not going back to fundamentalism - that's the past, and I've moved on from that, I began moving on a long long time ago, and it's taken me about 10-15 years I would say to rid myself of fundamentalist ideologies. Whether it's Christian fundamentalism, atheist fundamentalism, Western fundamentalism, or Islamic fundamentalism, Environmental fundamentalism, or any other fundamentalist ideology - it's all the same fallacy. It's a social bubble that binds people together with their group-think world-views/beliefs that are based on a flawed understanding of other people/groups.

I absolutely reject the fundamentalist assertion that only people within your social group are enlightened and intelligent - these beliefs formed the basis of racism, misogyny, and every social stigma. And you can't reason with fundamentalists, their minds are made up are they're not interested in anything that challenges their world-views.

Certain Christian forums like CARM are well known for being extremely fundamentalist. When I became less fundamentalist I was attacked viciously by such groups that formally embraced me. When I became an atheist I knew that I wouldn't become a fundamentalist because I'm interested in informing all of my views through evidence-based practise. What I said at the time that I de-converted, and what I stand by is that I now refuse to hold any belief sacred.

Anyway, to get to the point. De-converting has cost me support and friendship from a number of people. But I still have some friends that respect me, and like me whatever my beliefs are. And here I've been constantly attacked for my interests - which I don't understand at all. I don't care about fishing for example, but I don't troll people who do by constantly saying to them "who the fuck cares about fishing, go and do something useful". And told by fundamentalists that I'm "not a real atheist". Attacking my identity is just below the belt.

What I really need to find is an online community that is more accepting, where I can post and discuss things that interest me without facing constant personal attacks, that I can feel a proper valued part of, and I don't think that's TTA. If anyone has suggestions for me please post here.

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Aractus's post
11-05-2017, 08:07 PM
RE: I may not be back for some time
What personal attacks? Are you aware that you insult people en masse when they don't agree with you? You've done it in the past, and you've done it in your recent activity. You can't expect no pushback from that.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 8 users Like Robvalue's post
11-05-2017, 08:11 PM
I'm curious why TTA didn't fit the bill for you.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
11-05-2017, 08:21 PM
People are going to annoy you no matter where you go. It's part of interacting with any "community."

Just be like "hell yeah I like fishing" as your pixelated "deal with it" glasses descend gracefully with a constant velocity from the heavens Cool

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
11-05-2017, 08:22 PM
You have to do what's best for you but please look at who is troubling you. We have some people here who are pretty abrasive. Please don't think that everyone here is cut from the same cloth.

As with real life you will find people here that you click with and people you clash with.

Do I need to bust some kneecaps? Evil_monster

Seriously...if people here are causing you too much stress...maybe there is another place that is better for you.

Happy trails.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post
11-05-2017, 08:30 PM
I'm sorry this place hasn't been for you. I agree that any forum that stresses you out should be avoided, at least temporarily. I would advise putting people on ignore that annoy you. I've always been pretty liberal with this feature, as I can get very worked up if I'm not careful and people can upset me a lot.

But I wish you the best wherever you go.

You asked for ideas: stop discussing the historicity of Jesus. You get extremely worked up every time you get involved. It's not worth it. It really doesn't matter whether he existed or not.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
11-05-2017, 08:34 PM
I find taking a break every now and then is a good thing to do. Maybe try that and then reassess at a later date.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
11-05-2017, 08:45 PM
(11-05-2017 07:58 PM)Aractus Wrote:  I'm going to write my thoughts/feelings out and hopefully someone has some ideas. I'm not going back to fundamentalism - that's the past, and I've moved on from that, I began moving on a long long time ago, and it's taken me about 10-15 years I would say to rid myself of fundamentalist ideologies. Whether it's Christian fundamentalism, atheist fundamentalism, Western fundamentalism, or Islamic fundamentalism, Environmental fundamentalism, or any other fundamentalist ideology - it's all the same fallacy. It's a social bubble that binds people together with their group-think world-views/beliefs that are based on a flawed understanding of other people/groups.

I absolutely reject the fundamentalist assertion that only people within your social group are enlightened and intelligent - these beliefs formed the basis of racism, misogyny, and every social stigma. And you can't reason with fundamentalists, their minds are made up are they're not interested in anything that challenges their world-views.

Certain Christian forums like CARM are well known for being extremely fundamentalist. When I became less fundamentalist I was attacked viciously by such groups that formally embraced me. When I became an atheist I knew that I wouldn't become a fundamentalist because I'm interested in informing all of my views through evidence-based practise. What I said at the time that I de-converted, and what I stand by is that I now refuse to hold any belief sacred.

Anyway, to get to the point. De-converting has cost me support and friendship from a number of people. But I still have some friends that respect me, and like me whatever my beliefs are. And here I've been constantly attacked for my interests - which I don't understand at all. I don't care about fishing for example, but I don't troll people who do by constantly saying to them "who the fuck cares about fishing, go and do something useful". And told by fundamentalists that I'm "not a real atheist". Attacking my identity is just below the belt.

What I really need to find is an online community that is more accepting, where I can post and discuss things that interest me without facing constant personal attacks, that I can feel a proper valued part of, and I don't think that's TTA. If anyone has suggestions for me please post here.

Try avoiding telling them they're the same as Holocaust deniers.
No one attacked you for your "interests".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
11-05-2017, 08:47 PM
(11-05-2017 08:30 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  You asked for ideas: stop discussing the historicity of Jesus.

No Rob, that's not what I'm looking for. I deleted the part of the OP where I said I did not want advice that said "stop discussing X" or "you need to change" because I thought that would have been obvious - I need a place where I CAN discuss the things that are of interest to me with others. As I said, in the OP if you're passionate about fishing the solution would not be "well just don't talk about fishing" you would need find somewhere with other people that share your interest and curiosity and don't think that it's stupid and not worth the time of day. That's what I'm looking for.

My Blog
11-05-2017, 08:53 PM
(11-05-2017 08:22 PM)Anjele Wrote:  You have to do what's best for you but please look at who is troubling you. We have some people here who are pretty abrasive. Please don't think that everyone here is cut from the same cloth.

As with real life you will find people here that you click with and people you clash with.

Do I need to bust some kneecaps? Evil_monster

No no, I don't think that would help. I think I've identified the problem - fundamentalism - I need to find somewhere with less fundamentalist attitudes.

My Blog