I may not be back for some time

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2017, 08:57 PM
RE: I may not be back for some time
(11-05-2017 08:53 PM)Aractus Wrote:  No no, I don't think that would help. I think I've identified the problem - fundamentalism - I need to find somewhere with less fundamentalist attitudes.

Interfaith forums? Or are you looking for something that's not explicitly about religion?
r/AskHistorians?

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
11-05-2017, 09:00 PM
(11-05-2017 08:53 PM)Aractus Wrote:  
(11-05-2017 08:22 PM)Anjele Wrote:  You have to do what's best for you but please look at who is troubling you. We have some people here who are pretty abrasive. Please don't think that everyone here is cut from the same cloth.

As with real life you will find people here that you click with and people you clash with.

Do I need to bust some kneecaps? Evil_monster

No no, I don't think that would help. I think I've identified the problem - fundamentalism - I need to find somewhere with less fundamentalist attitudes.

There you go again. You really can't help yourself can you.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
11-05-2017, 09:06 PM
(11-05-2017 08:22 PM)Anjele Wrote:  You have to do what's best for you but please look at who is troubling you. We have some people here who are pretty abrasive. Please don't think that everyone here is cut from the same cloth.

As with real life you will find people here that you click with and people you clash with.

No no, I don't think that would help. I think I've identified the problem - fundamentalism - I need to find somewhere with less fundamentalist attitudes.

We have fundamentalists here?

I suppose you need to do what's best for you. Being here is voluntary...as is leaving. This isn't The Hotel California.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
11-05-2017, 09:06 PM
(11-05-2017 08:47 PM)Aractus Wrote:  
(11-05-2017 08:30 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  You asked for ideas: stop discussing the historicity of Jesus.

No Rob, that's not what I'm looking for. I deleted the part of the OP where I said I did not want advice that said "stop discussing X" or "you need to change" because I thought that would have been obvious - I need a place where I CAN discuss the things that are of interest to me with others. As I said, in the OP if you're passionate about fishing the solution would not be "well just don't talk about fishing" you would need find somewhere with other people that share your interest and curiosity and don't think that it's stupid and not worth the time of day. That's what I'm looking for.

Of course you can discuss these things. I'm just observing that you get worked up, every single time. You start to throw slurs at people who disagree. If you want a discussion without insults, you need to (a) stop insulting people yourself and (b) discuss subjects where you can handle people disagreeing with you. I've observed this pattern with other subjects too over the time I've known you. I'm not trying to insult you here, I'm trying to help.

I've not seen anyone attack you for what you believe, only commenting on the methods you use to try and justify those beliefs.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Robvalue's post
11-05-2017, 09:08 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2017 09:12 PM by Robvalue.)

Right. Slurring everyone, for disagreeing with you, in your own thread complaining about being slurred because people disagree with you. There is no fundamentalism here. I don't even know what you're talking about. Well, we might have a few fundamentalist theists.

If you can't see the problem, then you're not going to fit in anywhere except echo chambers.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 5 users Like Robvalue's post
11-05-2017, 09:38 PM
(11-05-2017 09:08 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  There is no fundamentalism here.

I don't see it either. This place ain't Atheist+ or New Atheist or whatever silly names angry atheists are calling it today.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-05-2017, 10:03 PM
TTA needs to change it's name :

Militant Atheism --- because as we have been told, we all hate religion, and that's the reason we can't see straight.
Dodgy

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
11-05-2017, 10:12 PM
(11-05-2017 09:08 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  Right. Slurring everyone, for disagreeing with you, in your own thread complaining about being slurred because people disagree with you. There is no fundamentalism here. I don't even know what you're talking about. Well, we might have a few fundamentalist theists.

It's not meant to be a slur or attack. It's an observation - perhaps an imperfect one, perhaps an incomplete one, perhaps a completely wrong one. You can call it in-group bias or whatever you want, I call it fundamentalism. I'm in the out-group, people in the out-group see the in-group differently; just as you would see my in-group differently from the perspective of the out-group. People are protective of their in-groups like culture for example, and that's fine, but it doesn't make their culture any better than another person's.

My Blog
11-05-2017, 10:33 PM
(11-05-2017 10:03 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  TTA needs to change it's name :

Militant Atheism --- because as we have been told, we all hate religion, and that's the reason we can't see straight.
Dodgy

Militant Master of Divinity atheists are the worst offenders.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-05-2017, 10:40 PM
(11-05-2017 07:58 PM)Aractus Wrote:  What I said at the time that I de-converted, and what I stand by is that I now refuse to hold any belief sacred.

Seems solid enough ground to stand on.

(11-05-2017 07:58 PM)Aractus Wrote:  And here I've been constantly attacked for my interests - which I don't understand at all.

I like your views. I find them provocative. Provocative is interesting. They usually have some rationale behind them at least worth consideration. You don't strike me as an asshole if that's what you're thinking.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post