I may not be back for some time

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2017, 08:47 AM
RE: I may not be back for some time
Quote:What I really need to find is an online community that is more accepting, where I can post and discuss things that interest me without facing constant personal attacks, that I can feel a proper valued part of, and I don't think that's TTA.

Long time members with high ratings get away with murder on here. A newer member expresses an opinion and certain "popular" members don't even discuss it. They just hurl insults and invective. It's not everybody but there's a lot of hostile high school style power structure on this forum.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2017, 08:52 AM
(11-05-2017 10:12 PM)Aractus Wrote:  
(11-05-2017 09:08 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  Right. Slurring everyone, for disagreeing with you, in your own thread complaining about being slurred because people disagree with you. There is no fundamentalism here. I don't even know what you're talking about. Well, we might have a few fundamentalist theists.

It's not meant to be a slur or attack. It's an observation - perhaps an imperfect one, perhaps an incomplete one, perhaps a completely wrong one. You can call it in-group bias or whatever you want, I call it fundamentalism. I'm in the out-group, people in the out-group see the in-group differently; just as you would see my in-group differently from the perspective of the out-group. People are protective of their in-groups like culture for example, and that's fine, but it doesn't make their culture any better than another person's.

Part of the problem I'm seeing is, you seem to take things people say as "attacks", yet when someone points out your behavior, you try to argue that you aren't trying to attack only "observe".

Forgive my bluntness, but that makes my bullshit meter go off. Because either it's actually true that you are a victim and everyone else is wrong, or you simply like being able to dish it out but you can't take it. And I'm going to go with it's not the former.

The funniest part about this is, again as I'm reading it, you are claiming you don't want to get caught up in "fundamentalism", yet it seems like you're basically saying you want to go somewhere where you'll feel better and be better accepted. I don't know what your definition of "fundamentalism" is, but sounds like you don't even realize you're searching for your own version of it.
[+] 6 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
12-05-2017, 10:07 AM
To the assholes in this thread ad hoc attacking me: FUCK OFF. SYZ and Bucky I'm talking to you - what the fuck? Seriously?

(11-05-2017 11:29 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I'm also getting a strong feeling that you haven't yet fully thrown off the yoke of Christianity—judging by your insistent harping that Jesus did in fact exist post-resurrection, and as portrayed.

I ALREADY FUCKING HEARD YOUR FUCKING OPINION, FUCKING LEAVE IT. I KNOW YOU DON'T THINK I'M A REAL FUCKING ATHEIST. OK? DULY FUCKING NOTED.

(12-05-2017 02:05 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I don't know what on Earth makes you think there is an in-group and an out-group. I have literally no idea what you're talking about. Groups of what? What culture? Fundamental about what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-group_favoritism

(11-05-2017 08:57 PM)cactus Wrote:  Interfaith forums? Or are you looking for something that's not explicitly about religion?
r/AskHistorians?

Thank you for posting that question, I thought about it a lot over the course of the day. I think what I'm looking for is somewhere where people seek to be "students" of history, religion, sciences, and other research pursuits. An environment that is conducive to learning and sharing new information, research, etc.

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-05-2017, 10:14 AM
(12-05-2017 10:07 AM)Aractus Wrote:  To the assholes in this thread ad hoc attacking me: FUCK OFF. SYZ and Bucky I'm talking to you - what the fuck? Seriously?

(11-05-2017 11:29 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I'm also getting a strong feeling that you haven't yet fully thrown off the yoke of Christianity—judging by your insistent harping that Jesus did in fact exist post-resurrection, and as portrayed.

I ALREADY FUCKING HEARD YOUR FUCKING OPINION, FUCKING LEAVE IT. I KNOW YOU DON'T THINK I'M A REAL FUCKING ATHEIST. OK? DULY FUCKING NOTED.

(12-05-2017 02:05 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I don't know what on Earth makes you think there is an in-group and an out-group. I have literally no idea what you're talking about. Groups of what? What culture? Fundamental about what?

(11-05-2017 08:57 PM)cactus Wrote:  Interfaith forums? Or are you looking for something that's not explicitly about religion?
r/AskHistorians?

Thank you for posting that question, I thought about it a lot over the course of the day. I think what I'm looking for is somewhere where people seek to be "students" of history, religion, sciences, and other research pursuits. An environment that is conducive to learning and sharing new information, research, etc.

The good thing about "in groups"/"out groups" is that you can work on things to be part of the "in-group," if that's what you desire to do. Sometimes it involves taking a personal inventory to see if maybe personality-wise you are doing something (even inadvertently) to place yourself in the "out group." I'm not saying you are or are not doing anything, I'm just saying sometimes it helps to look at the entire picture (yourself included) when forming a full analysis of a situation.
12-05-2017, 10:14 AM
(11-05-2017 07:58 PM)Aractus Wrote:  What I really need to find is an online community that is more accepting, where I can post and discuss things that interest me without facing constant personal attacks, that I can feel a proper valued part of, and I don't think that's TTA. If anyone has suggestions for me please post here.
If you want suggestions here is a few. Firstly understand the pushback you got was entirely justified. If you are going to enter a thread and compare anyone who disagrees with you to "flat earthers" and "Holocaust deniers" you can expect a good deal of push back because right outta the gate you have engaged in a fallacious false comparison.
When asked for the mountain of evidence in support of Jesus that we have for the earth not being flat your response was this:
"That's what a flat earther would say, before claiming all the evidence is not acceptable."
Which is utterly dishonest and evasive.

You can continue to expect pushback from people when you continue to argue these fallacious comparisons even after they have been demonstrated to be fallacious. You most certainly don't get to cry foul when you refuse to answer questions honestly and you are evasive in your posts. Worse still you were repeatedly asked for evidence and instead of providing a lick of it, you fall back on arguments from authority and the number of people that agree with you, both of which are fallacious.

(11-05-2017 08:47 PM)Aractus Wrote:  I need a place where I CAN discuss the things that are of interest to me with others.
Absolutely no one is stopping you from doing that and there are a dozen or more threads with Jesus Historicity as the core debate so please.... stop pretending like we are all blinded by ideology and incapable of discussing the topic. If you are going to discuss things dishonestly and be evasive in your responses and regurgitate fallacious points even after they have been demonstrated false you can expect the be greeted with a justified level of hostility and pushback.

(11-05-2017 08:53 PM)Aractus Wrote:  No no, I don't think that would help. I think I've identified the problem - fundamentalism - I need to find somewhere with less fundamentalist attitudes.
No, the problem is you want to carry on a discuss where your errors and fallacious reasoning are never pointed out and you are allowed to be as dishonest and evasive as you require to justify your points and positions.
In short Aractus you don't want a discussion you want a circle jerk.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 5 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
12-05-2017, 10:15 AM
(12-05-2017 07:21 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Yes, also vegan and the antichrist of meat eating. Tongue For me, I stay out of the meat-vegan debate threads now because things can sometimes get heated and hurtful. I think like Rob suggested, hanging out in other threads and staying out of threads that will not be a positive experience for you is great advice. That way you can still enjoy all that TTA has to offer and continue to connect with a great community.

I'm glad you posted, I think you've shown exactly the issue. You can have your threads and you should be free from denigration from me and others. On the other hand, I and others should be able to critically evaluate information. The solution isn't to say that you just shouldn't post on the things that are of interest to you though, the solution is that you find somewhere that is a good fit for you.

So I think that's really what I'm asking in this thread is not for the TTA culture to change to suit me, it's for me to find an online community with a culture that will suit me, and I welcome all suggestions for that.

My Blog
12-05-2017, 10:19 AM
(12-05-2017 10:14 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  No, the problem is you want to carry on a discuss where your errors and fallacious reasoning are never pointed out and you are allowed to be as dishonest and evasive as you require to justify your points and positions.

OH MY FUCKING GOD. FUCKING LEAVE IT.

My Blog
12-05-2017, 10:21 AM
(12-05-2017 10:07 AM)Aractus Wrote:  

Dude.....you have been a member of the forum for over 6 months with an almost entirely positive reputation. You ARE a part of the in the group.

Just because people disagree with you and point out your errors doesn't mean they are trying to segregate you because your not "one of us", and trying to frame it that way is just dishonest as all get out.

[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
12-05-2017, 10:21 AM
(12-05-2017 10:15 AM)Aractus Wrote:  
(12-05-2017 07:21 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Yes, also vegan and the antichrist of meat eating. Tongue For me, I stay out of the meat-vegan debate threads now because things can sometimes get heated and hurtful. I think like Rob suggested, hanging out in other threads and staying out of threads that will not be a positive experience for you is great advice. That way you can still enjoy all that TTA has to offer and continue to connect with a great community.

I'm glad you posted, I think you've shown exactly the issue. You can have your threads and you should be free from denigration from me and others. On the other hand, I and others should be able to critically evaluate information. The solution isn't to say that you just shouldn't post on the things that are of interest to you though, the solution is that you find somewhere that is a good fit for you.

So I think that's really what I'm asking in this thread is not for the TTA culture to change to suit me, it's for me to find an online community with a culture that will suit me, and I welcome all suggestions for that.

But sometimes you have to be flexible enough to fit into a situation at hand because as others said, you will never find a place that 100% suits you. A perfect internet forum with all like-minded viewpoints and personalities just doesn't exist. Not with so many different personalities and viewpoints floating around.

I understand about wanting to be able to openly discuss ideas, but as I say maybe take a personal inventory first, then assess what you can do in the future if things get too heated due to others. Maybe you leave the thread. Maybe you pm like-minded people and have a discussion there. Maybe you take a break from the thread and go post in funny threads. You can't control others, you can only control yourself and how you react to things.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
12-05-2017, 10:23 AM
(12-05-2017 10:19 AM)Aractus Wrote:  
(12-05-2017 10:14 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  No, the problem is you want to carry on a discuss where your errors and fallacious reasoning are never pointed out and you are allowed to be as dishonest and evasive as you require to justify your points and positions.

OH MY FUCKING GOD. FUCKING LEAVE IT.

How about no. You are trying to slander an entire group of people and blame them for the failure of a discussion that YOU were dishonest and evasive in.

I'm TRYING to point out that no matter what community you join if you continue to debate that way you are going to get pushback.

[+] 3 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post