I may not be back for some time

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2017, 04:58 AM
[split] I may not be back for some time - the not playing nice thread
LOL... is this really the best "response" that this bloke can come up with?

(12-05-2017 10:07 AM)Aractus Wrote:  
(11-05-2017 11:29 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I'm also getting a strong feeling that you haven't yet fully thrown off the yoke of Christianity...

I ALREADY FUCKING HEARD YOUR FUCKING OPINION, FUCKING LEAVE IT. I KNOW YOU DON'T THINK I'M A REAL FUCKING ATHEIST. OK? DULY FUCKING NOTED.

Aractus sounds like a petulant child who threatens everyone that he's gonna take his bat and ball, and go home. He's also the bloke who's accused everybody else of attacking and demeaning him, when in fact when pushed even gently he's the first to throw the dirt around.

I for one hope he does follow through with his "threat" to leave TTA, never to return. Good riddance. Angry

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
13-05-2017, 05:51 AM
RE: I may not be back for some time
Thread split. If you can't play nice, go comment in the Vipers Pit, not here.
13-05-2017, 06:27 AM
I get it, you may act like a jerk and attack others as long as it's YOUR support thread even if there is technically no personal issue and you don't really need support, you just want to whinge without the risk of people responding in suit (and in the way you DESERVE).

I know my opinion doesn't really matter, but this thread has ABSOLUTELY NO place in the Support section.

You are totally free to send this to the Viper's Pit. My fault, really, because I didn't create my own "support" thread. Which I actually considered. But this whole thing is too pathetic and not worth the effort.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
13-05-2017, 06:31 AM
FWIW I completely regret posting this thread. It's been far more negative than positive.

(12-05-2017 03:53 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I think you are dead wrong about "fundamentalism", here... and I say this as someone who comes from a fundamentalist background.

I would have responded to this already, but no one asked in at least a respectful way as you have. Anyone can be a fundamentalist, and I suspect that most people are fundamentalist about some things. We'll use the example of cultural values and social norms that I brought up earlier - people can be fundamentalist about those things, especially on larger points of division. Law and order for example, many people have a fundamentalist attitude about that - I know I used to - and see prosecuting vulnerable people for petty and victimless crimes as justified. A great example there might be prostitution which remains a crime to this day in the USA.

I do believe that freedom of religion is a fundamental and inalienable human right. I know that I have experienced stigmatisation for my own religious views as a Christian, and as an atheist. Anyway, Atheist Fundamentalism is a very real thing. You need to start with a robust definition of fundamentalism to really understand what it means though, and to me the word fundamentalist means someone who adheres strictly to a way of thinking that is resistant to change and based on a belief that's either flawed or unproven. So for example the belief that people shouldn't be allowed to practise religion would be something I would view as a fundamentalist belief.

In fact there's Legal Fundamentalism - I don't know if you watch Better Call Saul, but that's what Charles McGill has for example. He thinks the Law is above everything even forsaking the principle of Justice, whereas most people would see some laws as being unjust and believe there is a moral imperative to correct injustices, which can then result in jury nullification - or in the case of OJ - an exorbitant sentence for a petty crime as a way to punish him for an earlier crime that he got away with. And I really must say that I was very sorry when I read your bio a while back to see that you were well and truly served an injustice through a legal system supposedly designed to be "just".

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Aractus's post
13-05-2017, 09:25 AM
So what kind of fundamentalism are you accusing us of? About what?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
13-05-2017, 09:29 AM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2017 09:36 AM by Robvalue.)
RE: [split] I may not be back for some time - the not playing nice thread
I don't know if he genuinely isn't aware how regularly unpleasant he is to people, often with little to no provocation. I didn't get answers to my questions about this, so I imagine it's all rationalized away and "doesn't count".

I've been trying to help. If he really can't admit to this, it's a serious problem that will follow him everywhere.

PS: Sometimes, to help, people have to hear things they don't want to hear.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
13-05-2017, 09:32 AM
I have two rules I use when posting online:

1) Don't post when I'm emotional.

2) Don't post anything I wouldn't say to the person's face.

The few times I've failed to follow these rules I've always regretted it and ended up apologizing for my actions.

[+] 7 users Like Robvalue's post
13-05-2017, 09:38 AM
(13-05-2017 09:32 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I have two rules I use when posting online:

1) Don't post when I'm emotional.

2) Don't post anything I wouldn't say to the person's face.

The few times I've failed to follow these rules I've always regretted it and ended up apologizing for my actions.

I find walking away works best for me in these situations (i.e. when things get heated). That way you don't say anything you regret and it helps to maintain your own sense of zen. Big Grin Then, when you come back, you can see things with a clearer head.
[+] 6 users Like jennybee's post
13-05-2017, 09:47 AM
(12-05-2017 10:07 AM)Aractus Wrote:  I ALREADY FUCKING HEARD YOUR FUCKING OPINION, FUCKING LEAVE IT. I KNOW YOU DON'T THINK I'M A REAL FUCKING ATHEIST. OK? DULY FUCKING NOTED.

Could you re-state that a little less ambiguously please ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
13-05-2017, 09:48 AM
It is quite possible that Aractus is at an impass in his breakaway from the religious trappings of his former faith and doesn't quite see the forest through the trees.

As many here know - this shit can take time. Shy

I think it may be interesting to discuss this so called "atheist fundamental" view which Aractus has brought up. I think it might be connected with the whole misunderstanding that there is some sort of "atheist belief system" and the ever popular, "atheist religion" crap.

Maybe we can get close enough to it to see where this comes from. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post