I may not be back for some time

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2017, 10:02 AM
RE: [split] I may not be back for some time - the not playing nice thread
Yeah, I have no idea what he's talking about still.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
13-05-2017, 10:12 AM
Atheist fundamental- "I don't believe in a god, or I don't believe there is a god", depending on the strength thereof.

After that you'll get all kinds of variations on the political, philosophical and physical properties of "the atheist". Any time I someone writing "the atheist" in a post, I'm going to know that there's a broad paint brush full of bullshit coming up. I'd venture to say that that tendency to paint broadly is a mental image of atheist "fundamentalism" on the part of the author, though I could be wrong.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
13-05-2017, 10:15 AM
I'm more annoyed that he's blatantly used the PI&S section as a shield to protect himself from criticism while he tries to dishonestly frame everyone in the Jesus thread who disagreed with him as "fundamentalist".

Just look at his OP in PI&S:

I absolutely reject the fundamentalist assertion that only people within your social group are enlightened and intelligent .....
Yet in the Jesus thread, he accuses anyone who disagrees with his belief as being as stupid as holocaust deniers and flat earthers.

And you can't reason with fundamentalists, their minds are made up are they're not interested in anything that challenges their world-views.
He claims this toward a group of people who, for many and myself included, changed from believing Jesus was a real person to the position that the available evidence does not support that position. My world view, such as that question is relevant towards, changed when I looked at the evidence, and I am not alone.

When I became an atheist I knew that I wouldn't become a fundamentalist because I'm interested in informing all of my views through evidence-based practise.
Yet repeatedly when asked for evidence, such as when I asked him what evidence we have for Jesus that we don't have for Moses; or when asked what evidence for Jesus is all encompassing as that for a round earth, he refused to provide ANY evidentiary support. What he had to offer instead was dismissive and dishonest, and a fallacious argument for popularity and authority.

And here I've been constantly attacked for my interests - which I don't understand at all.
No one attacked him for his interest, at least not that I can see, but rather for his dishonest, evasive, and fallacious defense of those interests. This has been pointed out by several people now but he repeatedly takes any criticism of his position, up to and including just not agreeing with him, as personal attacks.

And told by fundamentalists that I'm "not a real atheist".
A real atheist but in no way shape or form a skeptic or a rationalist.

What I really need to find is an online community that is more accepting, where I can post and discuss things that interest me without facing constant personal attacks, that I can feel a proper valued part of, and I don't think that's TTA.
This is utter nonsense. He has had an almost entirely positive rep for his entire stay here, has been a fantastic contributor for the vast vast majority of that time, and most people have nothing but good things to say about him.

However. In the thread on Jesus existance, he was demonstrably dishonest, demonstrably evasive, while also insulting everyone in that thread that disagreed with his fallacious arguments and positions and then ran to PI&S to complain about the people HE was insulting without having to worry about those people he was slandering being able to defend themselves.
That is bloody shameful.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 6 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
13-05-2017, 10:19 AM
DAMN RIGHT, Whiskey. I actually took this to... well, where I thought it must be taken to.

It's such an ugly, ugly abuse of the support section. What a mean, petty bloody COWARD.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
13-05-2017, 11:04 AM
RE: I may not be back for some time
Since this is in the Issues and Support section I will do my level best to offer you some constructive advice. I hope that you will take it as such.

You feel that some of the members here are a problem. Conversely, some of the members feel that you are the problem. The only thing that is clear is that there is a problem. The truth likely lies somewhere between the two positions. It would be dishonest to suggest that we can't be a bunch of abrasive know-it-alls by times. That said, newcomers don't typically experience the difficulties that you have.

If, as you believe, the fault lies with us then you have a trivially simple solution. I'm sorry that we were such a pack of unlikeable jack-asses and wish you well wherever your wanderings take you.

On the other hand, if the problem lies within you then you will be unable to escape it so simply. Worse, if it translates into your offline behaviors these problems will dog you throughout your life. You will want to identify that sort of problem so that it doesn't make you truly miserable in the long run.

Here's a simple test that you can perform. Find another forum. One unrelated to belief and where you are unlikely to run into any of us. Post there as you have here and observe the reaction. Repeat as necessary. If the problem is within you then you will know it quickly enough.

I will not commit the absurdity of suggesting that you aren't a True Atheist™. For all that we may disagree on other points I have seen nothing that would even hint at that. And I'm clean out of Scotsmen at the moment. Must have been something in the porridge.

As I see it, your problem is that you become very emotionally invested in your arguments. This makes it very difficult for you to admit when you are wrong or when your behavior is wrong. It isn't simply that you can't admit it to others, it's that you can't admit it to yourself. That makes the problem extremely resistant to self-examination and you will need outside help to deal with it. The result is that when somebody disagrees with you it is perceived as a personal attack. This leads to retaliatory insult, needless escalation, and doubling down on all of these poor choices because to do otherwise would require you to do the one thing that you absolutely cannot do: admit that you are wrong.

I don't expect you to believe any of this but I have outlined a simple method for you to get at the truth. Mention none of this at your new online community and see if they arrive at a similar conclusion.

Best of luck to you in dealing with this because I honestly believe that it will make your life miserable if left unchecked.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 7 users Like Paleophyte's post
13-05-2017, 01:01 PM
Thread closed for a bit during discussion.

Thank you for your patience.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
13-05-2017, 09:29 PM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2017 09:32 PM by DLJ.)
Threads merged.

Thread moved from Personal Issues and Support to This, That and the Other Thing.

Please note:
There are different views on what belongs in the PI&S section (and what doesn't).

As it works now, it's actually a bit of a continuum from the original intention of a campus-style 'safe space' or a church sanctuary (ironically) in which one can scream at the walls without criticism (for those feeling vulnerable or just for those feeling pissed off) all the way to a therapy room in which one can seek advice (even constructive criticism) and support and share experiences, again with no fear of insensitive rebuttals.

Participants are expected to use their judgement as to the intent of each OP as to whether empathetic/sympathetic replies or problem-solving replies are more appropriate.

In this case, it has been decided that a question regarding a "need to find ... an online community that is more accepting" contains nothing that requires active moderation so the thread has been moved.

For future reference, please continue to respect the code of conduct of the PI&S section regarding sensitivity and if you see an OP that you think does not belong there, please notify a moderator via PM or preferably use the Report function or post in the Forum Team Matters section to suggest that it be moved to a different section.

Thank you.

[+] 13 users Like DLJ's post
13-05-2017, 09:41 PM
(13-05-2017 09:29 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Threads merged.

Thread moved from Personal Issues and Support to This, That and the Other Thing.

Please note:
There are different views on what belongs in the PI&S section (and what doesn't).

As it works now, it's actually a bit of a continuum from the original intention of a campus-style 'safe space' or a church sanctuary (ironically) in which one can scream at the walls without criticism (for those feeling vulnerable or just for those feeling pissed off) all the way to a therapy room in which one can seek advice (even constructive criticism) and support and share experiences, again with no fear of insensitive rebuttals.

Participants are expected to use their judgement as to the intent of each OP as to whether empathetic/sympathetic replies or problem-solving replies are more appropriate.

In this case, it has been decided that a question regarding a "need to find ... an online community that is more accepting" contains nothing that requires active moderation so the thread has been moved.

For future reference, please continue to respect the code of conduct of the PI&S section regarding sensitivity and if you see an OP that you think does not belong there, please notify a moderator via PM or preferably use the Report function or post in the Forum Team Matters section to suggest that it be moved to a different section.

Thank you.

I thought they threw you in the brier patch.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
13-05-2017, 09:45 PM
(13-05-2017 09:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ...

... with a rope tied to my ankle.

Weeping

Wink

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
13-05-2017, 09:51 PM
(13-05-2017 09:45 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(13-05-2017 09:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ...

... with a rope tied to my ankle.

Weeping

Wink

Bastards. That's just wrong.

#sigh