I may not be back for some time

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2017, 08:31 AM
RE: I may not be back for some time
You laugh, Grasshopper, but I have absolutely seriously tried using words in my translations that don't freaking exist. In my own native language! Before I left for Brazil, on more than one (or several, really!) occasions, I simply... took the English word, gave it a Bulgarian ending and wrote it in Cyrillic Blink

In my defence, I was under a lot of stress and just general crappiness and I-wanna-go-hibernate-for-about-ten-years-until-things-get-better, but still...

And now I've gone and thrown a third language into the mix... It's the biggest of wonders *anyone* can still understand anything I'm saying. (Or maybe they can't but are too nice to tell me Gasp )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
15-05-2017, 09:09 AM
(15-05-2017 08:31 AM)Vera Wrote:  You laugh, Grasshopper, but I have absolutely seriously tried using words in my translations that don't freaking exist. In my own native language! Before I left for Brazil, on more than one (or several, really!) occasions, I simply... took the English word, gave it a Bulgarian ending and wrote it in Cyrillic Blink

In my defence, I was under a lot of stress and just general crappiness and I-wanna-go-hibernate-for-about-ten-years-until-things-get-better, but still...

And now I've gone and thrown a third language into the mix... It's the biggest of wonders *anyone* can still understand anything I'm saying. (Or maybe they can't but are too nice to tell me Gasp )

I've always wondered whether multi-lingual people have trouble keeping the different languages properly compartmentalized. Now I know they sometimes do. I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more often, and impressed that you know more than one language at all. Despite two years of high-school German (and some further study on my own), I never acquired real competency. I am still a one-language Philistine.

Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
15-05-2017, 09:17 AM
(15-05-2017 09:09 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(15-05-2017 08:31 AM)Vera Wrote:  You laugh, Grasshopper, but I have absolutely seriously tried using words in my translations that don't freaking exist. In my own native language! Before I left for Brazil, on more than one (or several, really!) occasions, I simply... took the English word, gave it a Bulgarian ending and wrote it in Cyrillic Blink

I've always wondered whether multi-lingual people have trouble keeping the different languages properly compartmentalized. Now I know they sometimes do. I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more often, and impressed that you know more than one language at all. Despite two years of high-school German (and some further study on my own), I never acquired real competency. I am still a one-language Philistine.

Laugh out load

I'm only bi-lingual but I sometimes catch myself thinking in English. Considering that at least half things that I read are written in this language I'm not overly surprised.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
15-05-2017, 09:21 AM
I never used to confuse them (it's a matter of pride, really, for me). Well, with the weird exception of reverting to Portuguese when trying to speak Russian (but that was in Brazil and I hadn't spoken Russian in ages and it just... came out wrong Rolleyes )

I still maintain it's the stress. Like, I've noticed that when I'm really stressed and 'mentally tired (the longer kind of tired, where it seems like you've been tired for ages) I swap words with their opposite - instead of high, I end up saying low, yesterday instead of tomorrow, in instead of out. I've been doing it here, too, more than once (and in more than one language) Blush

(I do think (and even write to my English-speaking Bulgarian friends) in a mixture of English and Bulgarian but not because I confuse them, it's just... some things sound better/funnier in one of the languages and others - in the other)

(Yeah, my middle- *and* high-school French is only good for reading the lovely Thomas Pesquet's posts in French. And my sister's)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
19-05-2017, 08:24 AM
(13-05-2017 06:31 AM)Aractus Wrote:  Anyway, atheist fundamentalism is a very real thing. You need to start with a robust definition of fundamentalism to really understand what it means though, and to me the word fundamentalist means someone who adheres strictly to a way of thinking that is resistant to change and based on a belief that's either flawed or unproven...

This nonsense proves that—like all your other absurd opinions—that you truly have no idea of the things you comment about.

According to Encyclopedia Britannica: "Fundamentalism is a type of militantly conservative religious movement characterized by the advocacy of strict conformity to sacred texts. Once used exclusively to refer to American Protestants who insisted on the inerrancy of the Bible, the term fundamentalism was applied more broadly beginning in the late 20th century to a wide variety of religious movements. Indeed, in the broad sense of the term, many of the major religions of the world may be said to have fundamentalist movements."

Atheism has no "sacred" texts, or any "conformity" to a particular dogma, and nor could atheists be described as "conservative". In actuality, atheism doesn't even describe any sort of aggregation of people, like a religion does. Plus you're not even aware of what precisely atheism is; you seem to be conflating it with religion—like far too many moronic theists do. Are you too really that fucking stupid?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
19-05-2017, 02:16 PM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2017 02:19 PM by Robvalue.)
I've tried hard to understand what he's talking about, and the nearest thing I have is that he means "closed minded". Other than saying a particular person is a closed minded atheist, this "fundamental atheist" thing really does mean fuck all. It implies there is some sort of agreed dogma going on, of which atheism has none.

Given the complete lack of examples to back any of this up, I can only conclude this is all about people not automatically adopting his position on Jesus. Anyone who disagrees is a "fundamentalist" because his position is so obviously correct (to him). I haven't seen him talk enough about other subjects for him to have any idea what peoples' positions are.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post