I might be wrong

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2016, 02:59 PM
I might be wrong
Hi,

Is the statement “The only thing I can be sure of is that I might be wrong” - true or false?

If the statement is true, then is it true that I might be wrong in believing that “The only thing I can be sure of is that I might be wrong”?

So, if the statement is true, then is it also true that it might be false?

This is doing my head in.

D.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2016, 03:03 PM
RE: I might be wrong
Maybe.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
09-08-2016, 03:07 PM
You maybe wrong, but for all I know you may be right

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 4 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
09-08-2016, 03:15 PM

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
09-08-2016, 03:56 PM
"I know that I know nothing" or "I know one thing: that I know nothing"
Socrates.

It is one of the wisest statements ever made. Religious people claim to know everything. They don't. We're now and have always been on a learning curve.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
09-08-2016, 10:57 PM
(09-08-2016 02:59 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  Hi,

Is the statement “The only thing I can be sure of is that I might be wrong” - true or false?

If the statement is true, then is it true that I might be wrong in believing that “The only thing I can be sure of is that I might be wrong”?

D.

Hi! Big Grin

I think that the language your using and the way your using it is what's probably twisting your neurons.

So.. we are all pretty sure we're all simple, fallible creatures (Yeah, except that one guy... I'm watching you... Dodgy )

So... by that thinking/acknowledgement we 'Know' that our amount of information we have is always limited.

because it is limited.. there's nothing stopping us from learning something new... Which might possibly be something which will make us re-evaluate the information (Our 'Knowing') in a new and different light.

Perhaps a re-wording of the statement might help?

Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
09-08-2016, 11:09 PM
If it's false, there's no paradox. So, go with false.

Which means that there are other things of which you can be sure.

You're just not sure what they are.

Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
09-08-2016, 11:26 PM
(09-08-2016 11:09 PM)DLJ Wrote:  If it's false, there's no paradox. So, go with false.

Which means that there are other things of which you can be sure.

You're just not sure what they are.

Big Grin
A Schrodinger's Cat sort of analogy Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
09-08-2016, 11:54 PM
I dunno.
11-08-2016, 04:44 AM
(09-08-2016 10:57 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(09-08-2016 02:59 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  Hi,

D.

Hi! Big Grin

I think that the language your using and the way your using it is what's probably twisting your neurons.

So.. we are all pretty sure we're all simple, fallible creatures (Yeah, except that one guy... I'm watching you... Dodgy )

So... by that thinking/acknowledgement we 'Know' that our amount of information we have is always limited.

because it is limited.. there's nothing stopping us from learning something new... Which might possibly be something which will make us re-evaluate the information (Our 'Knowing') in a new and different light.

Perhaps a re-wording of the statement might help?

Thumbsup

P,

The first line in the OP is a favourite from my old philosophy prof and so I don't want to mess with his words/thoughts. The questioning is mine, and of course can be adapted if it helps.

It looks to me like there is either a benign (or vicious) infinite regress or maybe just an internal logical contradiction.

I've been discussing this stuff with my daughter, who is not a philosopher but has a sharp mind. We agree that when philosophy gets to regresses, logical contradictions, irreconcilable moral dilemmas, reductio ad absurdum ....., that's where we are pushing the envelope. She said that somehow philosophy folds back on itself when we get to the interesting border of reasoning, like a mirror (her simile). Her view is that it is about an individual's intelligence; my view is that the pattern is too broad for that. I think that there is something in reality which we would all knock up against, no matter how cleverly we try to get an answer. I think this makes me an objectivist (Plato) and her more subjective.

Your point about our knowledge being "limited" raises a suspicion that I have long pondered. Maybe we are limited in the form of our reasoning? But how does that limit come about?

The limit can be found quickly in questions such as "What is a number?" (A question for another philosophy thread, please not this one!)

D.