I might be wrong

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2016, 03:51 AM
RE: I might be wrong
(13-08-2016 11:34 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  It's also an issue in one of the ontological arguments, the one with maximal greatness, wherein the concept of a maximally great being supposedly mandates that said being exists, because existence is greater than non-existence.

Reltzik,

Yes, the ontological argument for the existence of God.

D.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2016, 09:42 AM
(09-08-2016 02:59 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  Is the statement “The only thing I can be sure of is that I might be wrong” - true or false?

If the statement is true, then is it true that I might be wrong in believing that “The only thing I can be sure of is that I might be wrong”?

So, if the statement is true, then is it also true that it might be false?
The statement mixes up personal confidence (being sure about something) with logical truth. Being sure of something is just a matter of personal confidence and differs from person to person. Some people are sure the earth is no older than 4000 years. It is no warrant however that what you're being so goddamn (pun intended) sure of coincides with absolute truth. So the statement “The only thing I can be sure of is that I might be wrong” can be true in some cases but then again they might be wrong about it.

If you had stated it differently: “The only thing that is absolute true is that I might be wrong” there still is no real problem because it can be the case that other statements are also true for instance logical truths, if you are confident enough about them. Confused? Hey, just lower your confidence level and be a happy person.
10-09-2016, 11:03 AM
(10-09-2016 09:42 AM)Rufus Wrote:  .... it can be the case that other statements are also true for instance logical truths, if you are confident enough about them.

Rufus,

Interesting philosophy. Smile

Yes, some people do think that logical truths can be true. However, I have met sceptics who doubt whether a system such as formal logic and/or mathematics can be true at a meta level, whilst not denying the repeatability of the internal patterns that we see. I am quite fond of patterns, such as deduction and tautology, although (like much philosophy) it seems something of a parlour game when faced with the boisterous contingencies of the lived world.

I have always (since I came across them) found syllogisms to be particularly pleasing. The one about bachelors and unmarried men tickles me.

https://web.cn.edu/kwheeler/documents/Syllogisms.pdf

As you have correctly pointed out, the terms 'true' and 'false' have a technical meaning in formal logic which might seem a little circumscribed to the lay person. In a court of law, I think those words can carry a different connotation.

D.