I miss theists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2013, 10:22 AM
RE: I miss theists.
(Re: Subject line.) That's okay, it happens to everyone. We'll just get your arguments sighted back in and you'll be hitting them in no time.

More seriously: KC is a rarity. There aren't many theists that will simultaneously present their position well, not fall into common pitfalls (apologist boilerplate or plain old flaming *cough*Egor*cough*), earn respect from the people here (for their manner of discussion, if not their beliefs), tolerate good-natured ribbing from the majority of the people around them without thinking it's persecution, actually WANT to go into the lion's den (so to speak), and generally coexist. Recruiting more of that type of theist would be a good thing. Recruiting more Egors, or more boilerplate spammers, would not be.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
13-01-2013, 10:31 AM
KC is different because his personal brand of theism figures we are who we are supposed to be and he is what he is supposed to be. So there are no issues.

To find other theists who will stick around you need to look in a masochism forum I think. They will have to enjoy getting beaten up.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
13-01-2013, 10:31 AM
While I don't mind some theists in general....I'm very doubtful they would be more than the drive by type..."You're going to hell" and leaving...Or making the same old claims...."if we evolved from apes why are there still apes....I ain't no fucking ape you devil worshippers" and again leaving....

While it might spark a few pages of pithy discussion and zingers....KC is a rarity.

I don't know why he stays...

For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside,
That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive -- Badlands; Bruce Springsteen

13-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Hmm, I'm not sure if I'd miss theists, since the discussion seem not to go anywhere. They will stick to their views, repeat the same arguments over and over again, let it be alone for the reason that self-criticism and reflection isn't a common trait among humans. Not many want/like to be mistaken or wrong, not only regarding religion.

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes pxlgirl's post
13-01-2013, 10:34 AM
(13-01-2013 10:31 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  While I don't mind some theists in general....I'm very doubtful they would be more than the drive by type..."You're going to hell" and leaving...Or making the same old claims...."if we evolved from apes why are there still apes....I ain't no fucking ape you devil worshippers" and again leaving....

While it might spark a few pages of pithy discussion and zingers....KC is a rarity.

We're the only ones who'll have him. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
13-01-2013, 10:37 AM
(13-01-2013 10:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-01-2013 10:31 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  While I don't mind some theists in general....I'm very doubtful they would be more than the drive by type..."You're going to hell" and leaving...Or making the same old claims...."if we evolved from apes why are there still apes....I ain't no fucking ape you devil worshippers" and again leaving....

*snort*

For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside,
That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive -- Badlands; Bruce Springsteen

13-01-2013, 10:38 AM
(13-01-2013 10:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  

This actually has some truth...

Oh, I finally got a straight answer as to why I can't teach anymore... again...

I'm too "deep".

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
13-01-2013, 10:39 AM
(13-01-2013 10:38 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(13-01-2013 10:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  We're the only ones who'll have him. Drinking Beverage

I'm too "deep".
.... that's a straight answer? I'd hate to see a crooked one.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
13-01-2013, 10:44 AM
(13-01-2013 10:39 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(13-01-2013 10:38 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  This actually has some truth...

I'm too "deep".
.... that's a straight answer? I'd hate to see a crooked one.
It was "I know I told you you could teach a two part lesson and that we didn't have any lesson plans for the next month, but if you teach the second part it's going to mess up the scheduled lesson plans for this month."

And no, I'm not kidding. That was the first answer I got.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
13-01-2013, 10:49 AM
(13-01-2013 10:38 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(13-01-2013 10:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  We're the only ones who'll have him. Drinking Beverage

I'm too "deep".

As in "deep doo-doo"? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]