I must brag...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2013, 03:54 PM
I must brag...
My son who's in the 7th grade is on the spectrum for autism. He's had a lot of issues.

When he began middle school he was considered a "non" reader -- meaning his reading level was effectively below a first grade level.

This year he's moved up to nearly a 3-4th grade level! His math skills are nearly on target too. As his reading improves so does his math skills.

The reason I'm writing this is because yesterday the school called explaining that he'd be receiving an award. Teachers nominate students who have demonstrated a passion for learning and academic achievement. They call it a student of the year award. 10 students from 3 grades and nearly 1000 kids!

Because he's overcame so many obstacles and excelled and shows real passion for learning. He was one of the kids given this award! What really amazed me...when the principal called his name....the kids all yelled and applauded (they were told to twice already to keep quiet until all the names were called). After kids were patting him on the back and congratulating him. I found that to be even more amazing. I always worried about kids picking on him or something but they all genuinely seem to like him.

He also made the honor roll (yes they do grade him a little differently).

I'm soooo proud of him!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 18 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-06-2013, 03:57 PM
RE: I must brag...
(11-06-2013 03:54 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My son who's in the 7th grade is on the spectrum for autism. He's had a lot of issues.

When he began middle school he was considered a "non" reader -- meaning his reading level was effectively below a first grade level.

This year he's moved up to nearly a 3-4th grade level! His math skills are nearly on target too. As his reading improves so does his math skills.

The reason I'm writing this is because yesterday the school called explaining that he'd be receiving an award. Teachers nominate students who have demonstrated a passion for learning and academic achievement. They call it a student of the year award. 10 students from 3 grades and nearly 1000 kids!

Because he's overcame so many obstacles and excelled and shows real passion for learning. He was one of the kids given this award! What really amazed me...when the principal called his name....the kids all yelled and applauded (they were told to twice already to keep quiet until all the names were called). After kids were patting him on the back and congratulating him. I found that to be even more amazing. I always worried about kids picking on him or something but they all genuinely seem to like him.

I'm soooo proud of him!

Fantastic! I would be so proud as well. I sincerely hope he keeps this up!

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
11-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Congratulations! That's fantastic! Give him a big hug for me!!! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
11-06-2013, 04:02 PM
(11-06-2013 03:54 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My son who's in the 7th grade is on the spectrum for autism. He's had a lot of issues.

I'm soooo proud of him!

Special dinner and cake for the lad?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
11-06-2013, 04:05 PM
(11-06-2013 03:57 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Fantastic! I would be so proud as well. I sincerely hope he keeps this up!

Thanks!!!

I hope it gives him encouragement. I was blown away, I guess because of his issues I never thought he'd be receiving an award like this! He continues to surprise me all the time.

11-06-2013, 04:07 PM
(11-06-2013 04:02 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Congratulations! That's fantastic! Give him a big hug for me!!! Big Grin

I totally will! Big Grin

Thanks!

11-06-2013, 04:10 PM
(11-06-2013 04:05 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(11-06-2013 03:57 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Fantastic! I would be so proud as well. I sincerely hope he keeps this up!

Thanks!!!

I hope it gives him encouragement. I was blown away, I guess because of his issues I never thought he'd be receiving an award like this! He continues to surprise me all the time.

You must be doing something right. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-06-2013, 04:11 PM
(11-06-2013 04:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  

I'm soooo proud of him!

Special dinner and cake for the lad?

Yes! I do this Italian style breaded chicken that he likes a lot. He also loves these mashed potatoes I make...so yea I'm making those too. And already made him a red velvet cake from scratch and cream cheese frosting!

Tomorrow I'll make him pancakes for breakfast (that's the tradition first day of summer breakfast).

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-06-2013, 04:12 PM
(11-06-2013 04:11 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(11-06-2013 04:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  Special dinner and cake for the lad?

Yes! I do this Italian style breaded chicken that he likes a lot. He also loves these mashed potatoes I make...so yea I'm making those too. And already made him a red velvet cake from scratch and cream cheese frosting!

Tomorrow I'll make him pancakes for breakfast (that's the tradition first day of summer breakfast).

Why can't I be your child? ;( delicious!

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
11-06-2013, 04:14 PM
With a mom like you it's not a surprise, he's just responding to a clearly awesome environment, nothing to be proud of Drinking Beverage

Wink

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post