I must leave

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-07-2016, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2016 09:17 PM by Aliza.)
RE: I must leave
(12-07-2016 12:48 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(10-07-2016 07:42 PM)Aliza Wrote:  1) I'm not passive, I'm just not an evangelizer. Evangelizing is against my religion and I look down on this practice. It's abhorrent.

I'm not an evangelizer. Asking atheists to consider hard questions like will the rise of atheism lead to increase in mass shootings is not evangelizing. It is asking them to consider the possibility that growth in atheism can have negative consequences. It is a fair question. Suggesting Richard Dawkins got something wrong is not evangelizing. A thinking atheist should question everything....including Richard Dawkins. Yet there was a lot of butthurt because I dared to criticize him.

You may not consider yourself passive, but you are passive relative to me. You are passive relative to me because you will defend your views, but you don't go out and challenge others to defend their views. I'm not saying you should be doing what I am doing. I am merely pointing out that you and I take a very different approach to this forum. People who challenge ingrained beliefs are not trolls, but sometimes they are labeled as such. It is easier to demonize someone else, than engage in self reflection.

So you think it’s your job to challenge atheists in the way they think? You think it’s your responsibility to come here, uninvited (permitted, but uninvited) to their territory and offer your services by challenging the way they think? … and you think you’re not an evangelizer? You are the definition of an evangelizer. Furthermore, just because I’m a theist doesn’t mean that I think I know everything or that it’s somehow my G-d given responsibility to sway people away from a perfectly valid, safe, productive and sane lifestyle. Like I’m supposed to be G-d’s gift to the atheist community? Please, that’s so arrogant.

I’m passive relative to you because I trust people to be intelligent and to make informed decisions about their lives. You don’t get to tell the atheists what they’re supposed to question. That’s not in your jurisdiction. They get to decide that all by themselves, and they’re not asking for your help. They also don’t need to satisfy your definition of critical thinking in any way, shape, or form. Nothing is wrong with how the atheists are living their lives. They’re informed, consenting adults. Your “intervention” does not appear to have swayed a single one of them and no one seems to recognize your authority as a distributor of logic bombs.

Richard Dawkins is at the top of his field, so if you’re going against his ideas, then I hope you’re bringing some reasonably impressive credentials to the table. I’ll assume you have at least a bachelor’s degree in biology, or chemistry (etc) from an accredited university (I would hope). Can you direct me to some of these posts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Aliza's post
13-07-2016, 02:28 AM (This post was last modified: 13-07-2016 02:37 AM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(12-07-2016 06:12 PM)Aliza Wrote:  So you think it’s your job to challenge atheists in the way they think? You think it’s your responsibility to come here, uninvited (permitted, but uninvited) to their territory and offer your services by challenging the way they think? … and you think you’re not an evangelizer? You are the definition of an evangelizer. Furthermore, just because I’m a theist doesn’t mean that I think I know everything or that it’s somehow my G-d given responsibility to sway people away from a perfectly valid, safe, productive and sane lifestyle. Like I’m supposed to be G-d’s gift to the atheist community? Please, that’s so arrogant.

I’m passive relative to you because I trust people to be intelligent and to make informed decisions about their lives. You don’t get to tell the atheists what they’re supposed to question. That’s not in your jurisdiction. They get to decide that all by themselves, and they’re not asking for your help. They also don’t need to satisfy your definition of critical thinking in any way, shape, or form. Nothing is wrong with how the atheists are living their lives. They’re informed, consenting adults. Your “intervention” does not appear to have swayed a single one of them and no one seems to recognize your authority as a distributor of logic bombs.

Richard Dawkins is at the top of his field, so if you’re going against his ideas, then I hope you’re bringing some reasonably impressive credentials to the table. I’ll assume you have at least a bachelor’s degree in biology, or chemistry (etc) from an accredited university (I would hope). Can you direct me to some of these posts?

I was invited here. This forum "invites" controversial opinions.....or so it says because in practice, if you disrupt the circle jerk with a controversial position you get demonized.

Anyways, here is the link to the thread about me being critical of Dawkins; Early on in that thread I am getting neg reps for presenting a controversial....unwelcomed position(even though controversial positions are supposed to be welcomed here)

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ht=Dawkins
13-07-2016, 03:05 AM
(12-07-2016 04:06 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I don't know you but you ought to listen to moron dog on this one as even not knowing you you're posts are quite schizophrenic reasonable funny and interesting one minute and bonkers aggressive and quite nasty the next, I know you are provoked sometimes but only because either you have majorly pissed on someone's cornflakes or said something deliberately provocative in an unnecessarily unpleasant way. The sad thing is that if we met you in person and had a beer or two we would probably get along just fine. Smile

Its not schizophrenic. I'm nice and respectful to people who are nice and respectful to me. If you piss in my cornflakes, I'll piss in yours. That being said, if someone espouses a moronic position, I'm not going to ignore it. I'm going to say its a moronic position....this of course gets some people panties all bound up.
13-07-2016, 03:10 AM
(13-07-2016 03:05 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(12-07-2016 04:06 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I don't know you but you ought to listen to moron dog on this one as even not knowing you you're posts are quite schizophrenic reasonable funny and interesting one minute and bonkers aggressive and quite nasty the next, I know you are provoked sometimes but only because either you have majorly pissed on someone's cornflakes or said something deliberately provocative in an unnecessarily unpleasant way. The sad thing is that if we met you in person and had a beer or two we would probably get along just fine. Smile

Its not schizophrenic. I'm nice and respectful to people who are nice and respectful to me. If you piss in my cornflakes, I'll piss in yours. That being said, if someone espouses a moronic position, I'm not going to ignore it. I'm going to say its a moronic position....this of course gets some people panties all bound up.

Therefore, if you assert the right to dish it, just take it too, and shut the fuck up about how terribly mistreated you are.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
13-07-2016, 03:35 AM
(13-07-2016 03:10 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(13-07-2016 03:05 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Its not schizophrenic. I'm nice and respectful to people who are nice and respectful to me. If you piss in my cornflakes, I'll piss in yours. That being said, if someone espouses a moronic position, I'm not going to ignore it. I'm going to say its a moronic position....this of course gets some people panties all bound up.

Therefore, if you assert the right to dish it, just take it too, and shut the fuck up about how terribly mistreated you are.

I would if you clowns would shut the fuck up about how horribly I treat you. But you won't. You want to dish it out but you can't eat what you serve up because you're a cabal of hypocrites.
13-07-2016, 03:39 AM
[Image: 944-Classic-Fettuccine-Alfredo_0.jpg?itok=210yy9E8]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
13-07-2016, 03:40 AM
(13-07-2016 03:05 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

I didn't say you were schizophrenic I was referring to your posting style. There are ways to say things and its how you say things that will often determine another's response to you and wether or not an exchange escalates into a slanging match, if you are happy with things as they are and you enjoy the confrontation that's fine but it kinda sounds like you don't so I'm having trouble working out what it is you actually want.
13-07-2016, 03:48 AM
(13-07-2016 03:40 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I'm having trouble working out what it is you actually want.

[Image: keep-calm-and-cause-trouble.png]

This is better.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
13-07-2016, 03:53 AM (This post was last modified: 13-07-2016 03:58 AM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(13-07-2016 03:40 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(13-07-2016 03:05 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Its not schizophrenic. I'm nice and respectful to people who are nice and respectful to me. If you piss in my cornflakes, I'll piss in yours. That being said, if someone espouses a moronic position, I'm not going to ignore it. I'm going to say its a moronic position....this of course gets some people panties all bound up.
I didn't say you were schizophrenic I was referring to your posting style. There are ways to say things and its how you say things that will often determine another's response to you and wether or not an exchange escalates into a slanging match, if you are happy with things as they are and you enjoy the confrontation that's fine but it kinda sounds like you don't so I'm having trouble working out what it is you actually want.

If the group I am speaking too behaves like a bunch of dicks, I can be a dick too. If the group I am speaking too is respectful, I can be respectful too.

Don't be a dick to me, and I won't be a dick to you. But if you espouse a position that is moronic, I won't hesitate to point out that the position is moronic regardless of whether or not your being a dick. We should expect our arguments to be attacked and just because you made a stupid argument, that doesn't mean you are stupid. All of us espouse stupid positions from time to time.
13-07-2016, 04:04 AM
(13-07-2016 03:53 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(13-07-2016 03:40 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I didn't say you were schizophrenic I was referring to your posting style. There are ways to say things and its how you say things that will often determine another's response to you and wether or not an exchange escalates into a slanging match, if you are happy with things as they are and you enjoy the confrontation that's fine but it kinda sounds like you don't so I'm having trouble working out what it is you actually want.

If the group I am speaking too behaves like a bunch of dicks, I can be a dick too. If the group I am speaking too is respectful, I can be respectful too.

Don't be a dick to me, and I won't be a dick to you. But if you espouse a position that is moronic, I won't hesitate to point out that the position is moronic regardless of whether or not your being a dick.

Ok, I understand that but my point is that that just escalates things, there are ways of ensuring you are not a doormat without escalating the exchange to total war although to be fair I'm afraid I rather suspect that your situation is a bit too far gone for that unfortunately. Sad
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post