I must leave

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2016, 07:52 AM
RE: I must leave
(05-07-2016 07:38 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I've never understood public proclamations as threads announcing you are leaving. Not one person here, but all over social media. Like on FB or twitter even. You certainly have the right to leave any page you want, but making that announcement seems superfluous to me. That isn't a left or right or theist vs atheist issue, it simply makes no sense to me.

It is one thing to make an appeal, but once you do that, a couple things may happen. The owner/admins, either agree and do something about it, because each page on ANY social media sets them up to their own comfort levels, or, the page tells you no. Well, if the page tells you "no" then it is still up to you to stay or go.

If a page has a block option with lots of social media does, that is the best default, instead of bothering admins and page owners. All of us, unless we are mods or admins or page owners are mere guests here. Once you have made a request, if you don't get what you want, it is up to you then if you stay or go.

You know that one actor in a bad movie that always over acts and makes you want to claw your eyes out... yeah, it's that. Laugh out load

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
05-07-2016, 07:57 AM
I would never announce my intention to leave a forum. It comes off as having a tantrum. I did, however, once announce my plans to stay. That I think is totally acceptable.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 4 users Like BnW's post
05-07-2016, 07:58 AM
(05-07-2016 07:38 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I've never understood public proclamations as threads announcing you are leaving. Not one person here, but all over social media. Like on FB or twitter even. You certainly have the right to leave any page you want, but making that announcement seems superfluous to me. That isn't a left or right or theist vs atheist issue, it simply makes no sense to me.

It is one thing to make an appeal, but once you do that, a couple things may happen. The owner/admins, either agree and do something about it, because each page on ANY social media sets them up to their own comfort levels, or, the page tells you no. Well, if the page tells you "no" then it is still up to you to stay or go.

If a page has a block option with lots of social media does, that is the best default, instead of bothering admins and page owners. All of us, unless we are mods or admins or page owners are mere guests here. Once you have made a request, if you don't get what you want, it is up to you then if you stay or go.

I've made I'm leaving threads but they weren't due to frustration at TTA. I do it because otherwise I would have to pm 25 people telling them I was taking a break. It's just easier to make a thread. When I've just left in the past and took a bit of a break without saying anything, several people told me they were worried about me. So I make a thread so no one worries Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
05-07-2016, 08:01 AM
(05-07-2016 07:58 AM)jennybee Wrote:  

I've made I'm leaving threads but they weren't due to frustration at TTA. I do it because otherwise I would have to pm 25 people telling them I was taking a break. It's just easier to make a thread. When I've just left in the past and took a bit of a break without saying anything, several people told me they were worried about me. So I make a thread so no one worries Big Grin

That's different. You're not flipping us the tails of your skirt and flouncing out. A notice is different than a dramatic exit stage left. Smile

[+] 4 users Like Heatheness's post
05-07-2016, 08:08 AM
(05-07-2016 08:01 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(05-07-2016 07:58 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I've made I'm leaving threads but they weren't due to frustration at TTA. I do it because otherwise I would have to pm 25 people telling them I was taking a break. It's just easier to make a thread. When I've just left in the past and took a bit of a break without saying anything, several people told me they were worried about me. So I make a thread so no one worries Big Grin

That's different. You're not flipping us the tails of your skirt and flouncing out. A notice is different than a dramatic exit stage left. Smile

True, but if TTA allows controversial and offensive (to some) topics, then, it's only fair that we allow leaving rants by those who were rightfully/wrongfully offended since all freedom of speech is welcome here.
[+] 6 users Like jennybee's post
05-07-2016, 08:19 AM
As mod, I appreciate leaving rants.

I like to know why people are leaving. If there are too many leaving for the same reason, it's good to try to find a solution.

Our popular and helpful support section grew from that.

Knowing why people leave and why people stay helps us make a better forum for all. What atheists have in common is non-belief and humanity. Everything else about us is different. I like to allow for as many differences as possibly possible.

The more info we have about what turns everyone on and what turns them off, the better.

So, I don't care in what spirit the rant was made, I still appreciate the info.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
05-07-2016, 08:30 AM
(05-07-2016 08:08 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(05-07-2016 08:01 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  That's different. You're not flipping us the tails of your skirt and flouncing out. A notice is different than a dramatic exit stage left. Smile

True, but if TTA allows controversial and offensive (to some) topics, then, it's only fair that we allow leaving rants by those who were rightfully/wrongfully offended since all freedom of speech is welcome here.

I don't think anyone is saying they "can't" do it but rather we don't have to give it any consideration or respect. If it turns into a "blah blah... blah blah blah..." thread that's really to be expected. Besides, you know that's most likely what the OP wants, in order to justify their dramatic exit. "See, see how they are!" Bias confirmed.

[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
05-07-2016, 08:33 AM
(05-07-2016 08:19 AM)Dom Wrote:  As mod, I appreciate leaving rants.

I like to know why people are leaving. If there are too many leaving for the same reason, it's good to try to find a solution.

Our popular and helpful support section grew from that.

Knowing why people leave and why people stay helps us make a better forum for all. What atheists have in common is non-belief and humanity. Everything else about us is different. I like to allow for as many differences as possibly possible.

The more info we have about what turns everyone on and what turns them off, the better.

So, I don't care in what spirit the rant was made, I still appreciate the info.

Maybe we could have an exit survey. Cool

[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
05-07-2016, 08:41 AM
(05-07-2016 07:57 AM)BnW Wrote:  I would never announce my intention to leave a forum. It comes off as having a tantrum. I did, however, once announce my plans to stay. That I think is totally acceptable.

Idk, maybe I would announce my leaving the forum , but not as a rant, just to give the people that last chance to tell me that I`m an asshole or maybe even that they are going to miss me or whatever they might want me to know.

After spending this much time on the forum just disappearing without a trace doesn`t seem like an ok thing to do....maybe, idk , not a set rule , who knows how I would feel if it comes to that.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
05-07-2016, 09:37 AM
(05-07-2016 12:32 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I'd do it for you, but this forum discriminates against certain members so I can't. People with Neg rep don't have the same freedom of speech on this forum as positive repped members.

You must demonstrate your own worth before you can denigrate someone else's.

You clearly have failed at the first task.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post