I must leave

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2016, 02:11 PM
RE: I must leave
(16-07-2016 01:26 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  
(04-07-2016 11:16 PM)TechnoMonkey Wrote:  Obviously you have no real concept of freedom. If a single word is banned, then a second word, where will it stop? What happens to freedom then?

Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words can never harm me.

Get a life.

That may well be true.

However, forums have a way of becoming something other than just a place to have a "discussion". They become important parts of people's lives, giving them an outlet which can, for some, be a psychological necessity.

Here we have a forum for people who have been damage, irritated, whatever, by their religious upbringing and the dogma that surrounds us all. So, they/we come here to get respite and support from people who we think are going to be open, supportive and intelligent.

What we get here, however, is a lot of abuse and commentary which is as damaging and narrow minded as the religious indoctrination we are trying to get to grips with.

We have one poster, for instance, who claims to be a Harvard Ph.D. candidate who persistently uses abusive language and is totally closed to any discussion which doesn't jive with his own narrow world view, which is no more "correct" than the particular religious/cultural ideology he attacks in his threads.

Then we have another poster who appears only to post short, "terse" remarks without adding anything of any note to the discussion.

Maybe these sorts of people need to do this for their own sense of self worth but because we are all here for a reason, and we clash, there needs to be moderation and it needs to follow certain rules which reflect the purpose and spirit of this forum which should, in my opinion, be one of openness to ideas, supportive and constructive.

Otherwise, you end up with a forum which is nothing more than a place to rant incoherently and attack people whose views don't coincide with those of a particlarly vociferous group. After all, established religion is about preachers shouting from pulpits and using various methods of brow beating people into accepting their dogma. That shouldn't be the way things work here.

If people actually come here for support and not to try and force their religion then they should not have any problems. If they do then people will call out the person giving them trouble and fix it.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-07-2016, 02:16 PM
(04-07-2016 11:16 PM)TechnoMonkey Wrote:  Obviously you have no real concept of freedom. If a single word is banned, then a second word, where will it stop? What happens to freedom then?

Get a life.

That may well be true.

However, forums have a way of becoming something other than just a place to have a "discussion". They become important parts of people's lives, giving them an outlet which can, for some, be a psychological necessity.

Here we have a forum for people who have been damage, irritated, whatever, by their religious upbringing and the dogma that surrounds us all. So, they/we come here to get respite and support from people who we think are going to be open, supportive and intelligent.

What we get here, however, is a lot of abuse and commentary which is as damaging and narrow minded as the religious indoctrination we are trying to get to grips with.

We have one poster, for instance, who claims to be a Harvard Ph.D. candidate who persistently uses abusive language and is totally closed to any discussion which doesn't jive with his own narrow world view, which is no more "correct" than the particular religious/cultural ideology he attacks in his threads.

Then we have another poster who appears only to post short, "terse" remarks without adding anything of any note to the discussion.

Maybe these sorts of people need to do this for their own sense of self worth but because we are all here for a reason, and we clash, there needs to be moderation and it needs to follow certain rules which reflect the purpose and spirit of this forum which should, in my opinion, be one of openness to ideas, supportive and constructive.

Otherwise, you end up with a forum which is nothing more than a place to rant incoherently and attack people whose views don't coincide with those of a particlarly vociferous group. After all, established religion is about preachers shouting from pulpits and using various methods of brow beating people into accepting their dogma. That shouldn't be the way things work here.

Then why bring your goofy ideas here to shout them about to browbeat people. Maybe you will find someone so low on the education pole they will be impressed by your invented shit, but I doubt it.
16-07-2016, 04:04 PM

Get a life.

That may well be true.

No one has stated that all theists and atheists alike were fluent in tact and diplomacy.

Just ignore the ones you do not like. If you find that you have too many on ignore, then you might want to consider a different perspective on your presentation and modify your approach.

(I do not recall the style and attitude of your posts, so "no comment" on any specific suitability for "... reflect(ing) the purpose and spirit of this forum ...".)

"They think, therefore I am" - god
[+] 1 user Likes TechnoMonkey's post
16-07-2016, 05:58 PM
If words get banned, no Australian will be able to speak! An entire country, mute.
(maybe that's a good thing?)

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
16-07-2016, 06:25 PM
(16-07-2016 01:26 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Then we have another poster who appears only to post short, "terse" remarks without adding anything of any note to the discussion.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-07-2016, 06:33 PM
It appears that DeltaBravo doesn't like it here. Yet he stays. Consider

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
16-07-2016, 10:46 PM
(16-07-2016 04:04 PM)TechnoMonkey Wrote:  ...
(I do not recall the style and attitude of your posts, so "no comment" on any specific suitability for "... reflect(ing) the purpose and spirit of this forum ...".)

I suggest that you make up your own mind.

If you want to do that, read DB's first nine posts and the reaction to them.

For me, it's a lesson in how sarcasm fails to come across on a forum unless you are already familiar with a poster's aptitude/attitude/style and how things can escalate from there.

17-07-2016, 02:08 AM
(16-07-2016 09:29 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I moved the thread long after it lost its purpose in the secton it was originally posted.

It was already too large to be fussed with splitting (splitting a thread is actually a tedious chore). The Vipers Pit is a legit forum section; not a place with limited access. Going further, it has no effect on people posting -- insults are levied because you invite being insulted.

This section exists solely to keep other areas of the forum tidy.

There were not many insults at all until you moved it here. People criticized the OP. The OP criticized the forum. I criticized the forum. If it needed to be moved it should have been moved to forum issues....because it was largely about the forum. Your moving it to the Viper's pit is akin to a newspaper moving a story to the bottom of the back page in the hope that nobody notices it there.
17-07-2016, 03:23 AM
Can we move it out the door?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
17-07-2016, 03:43 AM
(17-07-2016 02:08 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(16-07-2016 09:29 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I moved the thread long after it lost its purpose in the secton it was originally posted.

It was already too large to be fussed with splitting (splitting a thread is actually a tedious chore). The Vipers Pit is a legit forum section; not a place with limited access. Going further, it has no effect on people posting -- insults are levied because you invite being insulted.

This section exists solely to keep other areas of the forum tidy.

There were not many insults at all until you moved it here. People criticized the OP. The OP criticized the forum. I criticized the forum. If it needed to be moved it should have been moved to forum issues....because it was largely about the forum. Your moving it to the Viper's pit is akin to a newspaper moving a story to the bottom of the back page in the hope that nobody notices it there.

470 odd posts doesn't make it look like it's going unnoticed.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat