• 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2010, 08:01 PM
RE: I need 1 book in favor of and 1 book against Christianity
and against Fr0d0? I'm curious to see what you would recommend. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2010, 02:46 PM
(05-12-2010 08:01 PM)Godless Wrote:  and against Fr0d0? I'm curious to see what you would recommend. Smile

Against: God Doesn't Believe in Atheists: Proof That the Atheist Doesn't Exist - Ray Comfort Big Grin
06-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Okay, so latvianxave8 asks for a book in favor of Christianity and one opposed. Fr0d0 recommends a pro-theistic book prompting Godless to ask what he'd recommend for an anti-theism book, and Fr0d0 responds with a book by Ray Comfort - which either makes Fr0d0 the best or the worst ironicist in the world.
06-12-2010, 09:47 PM
The irony I'm sure was intentional. I would fully agree that a man arguing so badly for a cause can speak volumes for someone not to see a particular point of view as credible.

Personally I'd like to jump on board with two books of my own. I orignally was not inclined to do so since I find it hard to recommend short books on such a deep topic but here goes:

For Theism: Reason, Faith, and Revolution: Reflections on the god debate by Terry Eagleton.

Who points out what he feels is the insanity in Atheism and how the crimes of Theism pale in comparison to the good it's done. He brings to the table a different perspective of how Christ's teachings are both in need of an update but how good it is to follow some form of teachings.

I pick this book specifically because while I feel his argument is weak and his content dry and lacking of reference to external sources his argument could be made of most any Theistic faith.

Against: Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris

This one is a classic for Atheistic readers but Harris writes as though his audience is theistic and in doing so takes on a much lighter and respectful tone while laying bare the arguments against faith and it's consequences on modern day society. It's a nice light read for a theistic book and brings some good points to the table.
07-12-2010, 12:21 AM
I think the Bible can be used for both.
In some chapters it teaches compassion , and love thy neighbor.
In others it teaches genocide.
07-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Another book in favour of Christianity would be The God Delusion. Reading Dawkins on religion is like reading Ray Comfort on Science.
07-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Fr0d0, that fact that you can't find a single book for atheism isn't really helping your cause. It just suggests that you are so resistant to change that you won't even consider the opposition with an open mind. There are "good" books on any topic. I could find a good "for and against" book for Scientology if need be. "Good" doesn't mean you agree with the content.

And now I'm beginning to suspect you've never read The God Delusion either. Because if you had, you'd know that with all Dawkins' books, he starts off with 10 pages of atheism and then trails off into some 200 page biologist wet dream about the ears of an African reindeer or the mating habits of some obscure insect.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
07-12-2010, 08:55 PM
I disagree with both of the preceding two posts on The God Delusion. It was awesome and thorough and from the dedication to the afterward was 100% atheist win.
08-12-2010, 02:47 AM
Whilst I think Dawkins is a very good writer, an interesting read and accessible to most, he knows nothing about theology. TGD is an extremely embarrassing essay on the subject. I own the book BTW. I also own The Case Against God. I listened to the original radio series, it was awesome. All the big books (mentioned by people above in this thread) seem cliche'd now, but they're still good.
08-12-2010, 06:42 AM
Well most of the reason that Theists don't think Dawkins understands theology is that he understands it better then they do. What Dawkins does is point out how inconsistent theology is with what's actually in the bible.

The thing about religion is that it's amazingly simply to disprove and everyone knows it. The problem is getting theists to recognize the reality of the evidence which is overwhelming.