I need 1 book in favor of and 1 book against Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2010, 02:29 PM
RE: I need 1 book in favor of and 1 book against Christianity
(08-12-2010 02:47 AM)fr0d0 Wrote:  Whilst I think Dawkins is a very good writer, an interesting read and accessible to most, he knows nothing about theology. TGD is an extremely embarrassing essay on the subject. I own the book BTW. I also own The Case Against God. I listened to the original radio series, it was awesome. All the big books (mentioned by people above in this thread) seem cliche'd now, but they're still good.

I agree with Godless. Theology is the study of the nature of God. Atheists don't believe there is a God. Therefore, to expect atheism or a book about atheism to be rooted in theology is silly. It's like saying that Stephen Hawking can't write a good book about the black hole because he's not an astrologer, or that Bobby Flay can't write a good book about grilling steaks because he's not a vegan.

There are several good theologians turned atheist out there; Edward Tarte, Matt Dillahunty. Guess what, none of them uses theological arguments to support atheism. They may describe what turned them away from theological thinking, but their arguments against God are all based in the same kind of argumentation employed brilliantly by Dawkins.

I can't even imagine what a theological argument for atheism would look like.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2010, 04:38 PM
The theological argument is the only one that's relevant, by your own standards. Dawkins doesn't write good books about theology (the subject of TGD) because he isn't a theologian. By the same token you would rightly ridicule Ray Comforts essays on science would you not?

Dawkins is a very good writer, like I freely admit. He's addressing a very popular subject and therefore an easy target. He's making himself look a fool tho' which is unnecessary. He should stick to talking about what he knows.

If you're turned away from theological thinking when considering God you're not addressing the subject. Simple as.
08-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Nope, that's wrong. I already explained why, so I'm not going to bother explaining it again.
08-12-2010, 06:01 PM
(08-12-2010 04:38 PM)fr0d0 Wrote:  The theological argument is the only one that's relevant, by your own standards. Dawkins doesn't write good books about theology (the subject of TGD) because he isn't a theologian. By the same token you would rightly ridicule Ray Comforts essays on science would you not?

Dawkins is a very good writer, like I freely admit. He's addressing a very popular subject and therefore an easy target. He's making himself look a fool tho' which is unnecessary. He should stick to talking about what he knows.

If you're turned away from theological thinking when considering God you're not addressing the subject. Simple as.

That's the thing. If Comforts insights on science merited a view because they presented some good points for his position then yes I would give them honest consideration.

That and your last sentence read like the following:

You have not truly considered the subject until you consider my point of view as valid and worthy of examination in depth no matter how silly or uniformed of history or tradition.

What I think you mean to say was that one has not truly addressing the subject until you give fair credit and time to all valid and informed points of view.

The irony of your theology claims of course is that your recommendations here suggest that you have made very little consideration of the secular point of view in terms of your religion.
09-12-2010, 01:50 PM
If Dawkins insights on theology merited a view because they presented some good points for his position then I would give him some credit. He discounts theology as a subject then spends a lot of his time trying to reason theological points.

Comfort adopts science to try to explain theological points.

Both men are as idiotic as one another in this respect.

Likewise you (Godless) are playing the 'theology isn't a subject worthy of considering' card whilst applying science to theology. Your cards don't stack up and you conclude that the answer must be that 'the cards don't stack up'.

I can see and fully appreciate a scientific view of the world, and even live by it. You see the world through your monochromatic vision and declare with some mad imaginations in your mind that the world isn't a colourful place.
09-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Theology is the study of fantasy being treated as if it is reality. PERIOD. Why don't we have a science to study Daffy Duck? Daffy Duck is just as real as god.
09-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Do you really want me to get into the topic of how blindly stupidly ignorant it is to ONLY consider the theological viewpoint in discussions about the Christian god is a reality?
09-12-2010, 09:36 PM
(09-12-2010 05:21 PM)Godless Wrote:  Do you really want me to get into the topic of how blindly stupidly ignorant it is to ONLY consider the theological viewpoint in discussions about the Christian god is a reality?

Was this was meant for Fr0d0, me, or both of us?
10-12-2010, 07:00 AM
Just Fr0d0. I know it's like talking to a brick wall with it's fingers in it's ears but some comments are just so ignorant.....
10-12-2010, 06:21 PM
He has his view of the universe and everything "has to fit" into that view. It is kind of like fitting a planet through a mouse hole. You lose almost everything in the process.