I need 1 book in favor of and 1 book against Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2010, 04:09 AM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2010 04:13 AM by fr0d0.)
RE: I need 1 book in favor of and 1 book against Christianity
Hey Godless

All I see is you skipping what I've said and repeating the thoroughly debunked "science explains everything" joke. That really isn't a problem. I know it'd be more than you could admit to. I'm completely familiar with atheists stubbornly declaring that black is white when faced with undeniable logic. Others like to take a logical stance, and those I respect.

Point 1: "Science disproves my point" is answered completely. If that is your stance then you are claiming a stance of scientific philosophy, which is a position of blind faith. ie you have no basis for reasoning; no logically or scientifically backed up stance. My own understanding of my theological beliefs, on the other hand, is completely reasoned.

Your only argument against that is that you claim it must be science, when it is clearly not, and you fail to demonstrate otherwise. You think I'm making claims which should be proven by scientific method when I never am.

Point 2: I'm condescending giving out points: If you accept poetry: a description of something using words not conveying a literal meaning, such as: " I know it's like talking to a brick wall with it's fingers in it's ears but some comments are just so ignorant....." ...then it's not beyond your wit to work out that the same method is being used in the bible.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2010, 06:12 PM
lol, show me a metaphor in the bible

Seriously

Show me a metaphor

God killing all the gay,slutty,etc people in Sodom/Gomorrah? What was that a metaphor as?

"Don't be different or god will kill you"

Yeah, a GREAT moral to teach children.

Fight the system,

~~~but don't mute the opposition!~~~
12-12-2010, 06:36 PM
I'll give you a metaphor.

Jesus said " I am the door..." In John 10:9. I doubt anyone started checking Jesus for the doorknob. Tongue
Can you even quote me as once saying "Science explains everything" .

No sir you cannot. You are trying to present me as making an understandable claim I have not made.

That is called a Strawman fallacy.

Making the claim "religion explains little to nothing about the world and how it works." is not the same as making a claim that "Science explains everything". I do not beleive Science explains everything but I do beleive that "religion explains little to nothing about the world and how it works."

btw.

"You think I'm making claims which should be proven by scientific method when I never am."

Who was it in this very thread who claimed "Science supports my worldview"?
12-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Well it seems we're both tossing around strawmen then Godless.

I didn't say that science supports my world view. I said that science supports my understanding of the universe. A world view is commonly someone's whole outlook, whilst an understanding of the universe would be a conclusion on scientific fact and theory.

I believe religion says nothing about how the world works. I've said it several times now.

There's a distinction to be drawn in what you're saying. Can I suggest that you dismiss religion on the basis of science... you said "science doesn't explain everything" ...which is saying that your world view exclusively considers scientific explanation.

I hold the same understanding.

What I'm not doing is... I'm not trying to apply scientific method to understand God. Science cannot have anything to say about God because questions of God don't ever concern methods testable by science, by definition.

Science is right to dismiss theology as having any bearing whatsoever on it's method. It's unfortunate that scientists do confront such nonsense as an obstruction, and the derision and ridicule the religious receive is well deserved.

So what would you say your world view is?
12-12-2010, 08:00 PM
No saying that something does not explain everything is not equal ti saying it is that one's worldview exclusively considers that something as the explanatory process for everything.

Saying "There is nothing science cannot explain" would constitute science as an exclusive worldview. I made no such statement.

My worldview consists of many types of examination and information of which science I admit plays a large role but hardly the only role. I consider philosophy (there is a reason theology is separate from philosophy), Historical study as especially strong non scientific examples of things that affect my worldview.

When one's library consists of only one book the bookshelf if a fairly accurate representative of that one person's mind.
12-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Yeah I find philosophy to be pointless a lot of the time. Interesting that you give it head time tho'.

The bible is 66 books btw Smile but my library is infinitely well stocked. Just because I have an interest in theology doesn't mean I have no other interests. I have The God Delusion and The Case Against God on my bookshelf. In fact my reading habits are predominantly non religious. I don't know why you feel the need to pigeon hole me.
13-12-2010, 12:48 AM
I think the you have given your own answer that to that question multiple times. All one has to do is go look back at your past posts to see exactly why people find it so hard to take you seriously.
13-12-2010, 02:04 PM
We can either bury our heads in the sand or consider our positions when challenged Godhead. It seems you're intent on the former.
13-12-2010, 07:15 PM
I love how whenever a theist is proven demonstrably wrong and incorrect on almost all fronts the very first thing you resort to is trolling.

Maybe if you were aware for example that Christianity originally destroyed quite a number of schools of philosophy during the 2nd and 3rd centuries because education was viewed as being pagan.

The reason for this destruction of schools by the grandfathers of Christianity was that the bible claimed clearly that there could be no moral teachings of worth outside of the church. In this regard secular attitudes of understanding were deemed false and immoral and destroyed.

So when you say that you find philosophy to be pointless you are to some degree admitting that you find secular discussion of morality, reason and the human condition outside of theological discussion highly pointless.

So you will forgive me if I find it a little bit stupid for anyone who deems philosophy pointless to accuse anyone of putting their head in the sand.
13-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Quote:So you will forgive me if I find it a little bit stupid for anyone who deems philosophy pointless to accuse anyone of putting their head in the sand.

You lost me here, and really with most of your post. Personally, I deem much of philosophy pointless and I don't think that means I have my head in the sand or am anti-intellectual or anti-education.

I guess I'm just not following the point of your argument.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost