I... need...HAPPINESS!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Sad I... need...HAPPINESS!
I am so fucking depressed!

I have R.E homework and we are learning about evil and suffering and why God let it happen.
We have so far covered Christianity and Buddhism. My teacher asked us to find pictures of happiness and suffering to make a collage. I was pretty happy when I saw the happiness pictures. Glad there are people still smiling but when over find pics of suffering, my good mood was gone.
I wish the world had no evil, hate or suffering but even for me it's too idealistic.
We need suffering to sort of keep us in check. If everyone in the world was happy, no one would appreciate what there is. If everything is so perfect, we wouldn't question on things, therefore no advancement in human race(Probably be still in the caves). No one would cherish things. 'The more a human creature has tasted of bitter things the more it hungers after the sweet things of life.' - MAXIM GORKY

So I need some LOVE!! LOVE!! HAPPINESS!! WEEEE!!!!!

P.S. Why has God forgiven us about the whole Adam and Eve? I thought he was a forgiving guy. He sure can hold a grudge.

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2012, 04:23 PM
RE: I... need...HAPPINESS!
(01-03-2012 02:24 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  I am so fucking depressed!
We need suffering to sort of keep us in check. If everyone in the world was happy, no one would appreciate what there is.

tazmin, if you believe the second part of the quote, I am not surprised by the first part.

All priests, political leaders and military apologists would wholeheartedly agree with that sentiment.

You DON'T need suffering.

Nobody needs suffering.

That is the biggest bullshit I have ever heard, encouraged by all those low-lives who benefit from your suffering.

Apart from my wife's illness 4 years ago (from which she fully recovered -- and no, it did not make me a better person), I have not suffered from anything for decades and, trust me, I did not miss it.

The happier we are, the more we count our blessings.

Don't let the low-lives drag you down! Smile
[+] 2 users Like Zat's post
01-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Tazmin, Zat has a point but Zat, I think you missed your own point,,,
I agree that we (life forms) could quite happily do without suffering but to fully appreciate that happiness (count our blessings) we need a scale (a method of comparison).

Tazmin, your scale is from, at one end, Maximum Suffering to the other end, Maximum Happiness.
Zat's preferred scale would seem to be, at one end, Neutral (No Suffering or happiness) to the other end, Maximum Happiness.

Your RE teacher would, I suspect, have a scale from Evil to Good.
Once we start linking the Scale to morality / ethics, we run in to the Utilitarian problems concerning e.g. what's good for one group of people may require the suffering of a smaller group of people.

"Utlity" from a Service Management (my field of expertise) perspective is about being "fit for purpose" (a Darwinian principle) which entails Outcomes being achieved and/or Constraints being removed. Translating that back to the topic, it means Happiness being achieved and/or Suffering being removed.

The Buddhist doctrine is all about alleviating suffering but does not focus on the second part... maximising happiness.

To alleviate your depression it is worth realising that barring natural disasters (ironically called Acts of God) there is progressively less suffering in the world (see Steven Pinker's work "The Better Angels of Our Nature")

And at the other end of the scale, the fun of life is trying to discover... the end of the scale :-)
I'm with William Blake... "The road to excess leads to the palace of wisdom...for we never know what is enough until we know what is more than enough"

Incidentally, for your homework, just submit this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gAeYxgwuSo
or this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMyZblR5W04

Have fun.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
01-03-2012, 05:23 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2012 05:47 PM by Zat.)
(01-03-2012 05:15 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Zat's preferred scale would seem to be, at one end, Neutral (No Suffering or happiness) to the other end, Maximum Happiness.

In the "Needs' versus 'Wants" thread I made a distinction between 'contentment' and 'happiness'.

That will answer what I quoted from you, DLJ.
[+] 1 user Likes Zat's post
01-03-2012, 05:28 PM
If you need to find meaning in the world you will not.
You have to live in your sphere of influence and do what you can.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
01-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Happiness can be elusive; you need to make an effort, maybe even compete, to get your share. Go and find all the happiness you can; search it out, stalk it, hunt it down, jump on it with all claws extended, wrestle it to the ground, suck it dry, crunch the bones to powder... and don't forget to write down every detail in your journal.

The bad stuff will come along on its own.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
01-03-2012, 05:29 PM
(01-03-2012 02:24 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  We need suffering to sort of keep us in check. If everyone in the world was happy, no one would appreciate what there is. If everything is so perfect, we wouldn't question on things, therefore no advancement in human race(Probably be still in the caves).

If we need suffering, is it a moral action to inflict suffering on people?

If we're all totally happy, who cares if we live in caves?
[+] 1 user Likes Ben's post
01-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Hey, yeah, what he said!

The reason we made all that progress was to escape suffering - inflicting and receiving a whole lot of it in the process.
Maybe the world is improving as there are fewer and fewer species on it (or maybe dear old Rifkin is a cockeyed optimist... betcha he has a happy life), but it's a 1000 steps forward, 690 steps back, 287 steps right, 22 steps left kind of improvement.
I bet we could do better if we deep-sixed - oh, all right, fired - the professional purveyors of "suffering is good for the soul". It's not: suffering shrivels up the soul, the same way it shrivels up the mind and body.
Happiness is good for all of you.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 2 users Like Peterkin's post
01-03-2012, 06:02 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2012 06:07 PM by GirlyMan.)
(01-03-2012 02:24 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  I am so fucking depressed!
So I need some LOVE!! LOVE!! HAPPINESS!! WEEEE!!!!!

This should help, my young friend.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Screw philosophy, have a kitty Smile

[Image: funny-pictures-kitten-has-a-happy.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post