I need Hitchens, quick!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2012, 04:10 PM
I need Hitchens, quick!
Hey guys, I really need some quick replies on this one and I'm sure you'll provide:
I'm having a big argument with my atheist friends who are claiming that Atheism is a religion, which it's not. I don't need arguments as to why it is not from you guys but what I do need is this: My Atheist friends claimed that if Hitchens were alive he would agree that Atheism is a religion. I found this completely ridiculous and almost insulting, I'm really really searching for some evidence/source of Hitchens talking about this, about Atheism NOT being a religion, video evidence like youtube clips would be the best but anything would do, I'm sure Hitches must have talked about this at some point and I really need this evidence! Help me out guys Smile
Thanks
- Joe
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2012, 04:16 PM
RE: I need Hitchens, quick!
(07-12-2012 04:10 PM)Pogonotrophist Wrote:  Hey guys, I really need some quick replies on this one and I'm sure you'll provide:
I'm having a big argument with my atheist friends who are claiming that Atheism is a religion, which it's not. I don't need arguments as to why it is not from you guys but what I do need is this: My Atheist friends claimed that if Hitchens were alive he would agree that Atheism is a religion. I found this completely ridiculous and almost insulting, I'm really really searching for some evidence/source of Hitchens talking about this, about Atheism NOT being a religion, video evidence like youtube clips would be the best but anything would do, I'm sure Hitches must have talked about this at some point and I really need this evidence! Help me out guys Smile
Thanks
- Joe
At 00:14 he says that atheists are without religion.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Thanks! More more more!

- Joe
07-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Just use the Bill Maher joke: Atheism is as much a religion as abstinence is a sex position.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
07-12-2012, 04:24 PM
I have already used ones like that! I used: "If atheism a religion, then bald is a haircut" And they just said "Yeah, bald is a haircut", It's so annoying! I'm really looking for Hitchens talking about this, but any other reputable sources are good too!
07-12-2012, 04:37 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2012 04:41 PM by Vosur.)
Tell your friend(s) to take a look in a dictionary. Drinking Beverage

religion
Syllabification: (re·li·gion)
Pronunciation: /riˈlijən/
noun
・the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods
・a particular system of faith and worship
・a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance

atheism
Syllabification: (a·the·ism)
Pronunciation: /ˈāTHēˌizəm/
noun
・disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 7 users Like Vosur's post
07-12-2012, 08:17 PM
^Yeah, seems like the people the OP is arguing with could also benefit from some definitions of "religion." They are probably also reading a bit too much into the term "atheism."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-12-2012, 08:19 PM
I don't think your atheist friends are atheists. I don't think you are either. You're wanting some appeal to authority and that's something a theist would do.

We judge an argument based upon it's merit not on who said it.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
07-12-2012, 08:59 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2012 09:03 PM by Dark Light.)
(07-12-2012 04:24 PM)Pogonotrophist Wrote:  I have already used ones like that! I used: "If atheism a religion, then bald is a haircut" And they just said "Yeah, bald is a haircut", It's so annoying! I'm really looking for Hitchens talking about this, but any other reputable sources are good too!
That's because you fucked it up. Bald can be a haircut. It should be "If atheism a religion, then bald is a haircut hair color."

Although I don't personally believe that it is a religion, I could, and indeed have made the argument that it can be considered a religion, depending on the definition you use. It does not entirely conflict with dictionary.reference.com's definition. I wrote an essay for my composition class in favor of the idea that atheism could be considered a religion. Again, it's not my personal belief, I wrote it for arguments sake, but their is an argument to be made.

07-12-2012, 10:25 PM
If you cannot argue your point without having to backpedal and have someone else argue a point for you the you do not well enough understand your position. I suggest some more reading and research. Hitchens is fantastic, and I think it's fantastic to hear other like minded people have positions similar to my own. However, at the end of the day I should be able to explain myself clearly and concisely. If I cannot, I need to ask myself why and do more research on my part. Otherwise, there is no point in "debating" - a debate shouldn't be an argument where you "have to pwn them" but be explaining your stance, they explain their own and discussing things.

If one or the other comes to a stale spot, or feels weak, it doesn't mean it's bad, but perhaps the person needs to either reconsider their stance, or research it further.

"If you cannot explain it simply, you do not understand it well enough."
[+] 3 users Like Logisch's post