I need a new TV series to get addicted too!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2013, 11:34 AM
RE: I need a new TV series to get addicted too!
(21-07-2013 11:25 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(21-07-2013 03:00 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  Lost was a total load of shit. The first 2 seasons were ok... though what ended up happening was:

The writers would open a bunch of story arks with each episode and hardly any of those story arks get closed. It was just sloppy writing... they open a bunch of threads, gauge audience response and go with safe options.

The writers continued dragging this shit out for 7 or 8 fucking seasons making sure it's a lost cause.

Then when the ratings bottom out the network pulls the plug. Then the writers panic and frantically try to tie off the 1 million loose ends using a deus ex machina magical waterfall narrative. Total fail...

So no, looking at it as a whole... what a load of shit! It's a great way to waste time and that's all it's good for.

I have to disagree a little. The ratings for all 6 seasons were pretty good (I think season 4 was considered the lowest rated -- but still stronger than many shows). The show did take some admittedly weird twists, which if you watched on tv became weirdly confusing. Also in the US, ABC fucked with the time slot -- 10pm on a Saturday I think was one of the moves...

The show was never supposed to go beyond 6 seasons. ABC bought the series knowing that. JJ Abrams and I can't remember who (I think it was a principle writer) said they knew exactly how the show would end from the beginning...ABC was annoyed with this and began streatching it out with doing weird stuff like holding back the season until after the Superbowl in February.

The DVD sales for Lost were really big, and ABC, when I last checked (a lomg while ago) still streams the show on their website (which is annoying -- because their website sucks), whereas other shows have been dropped.

Chas mentioned the woo -- and yes that did get tedious. But whatever -- it was also funny.

Ratings? Ratings don't make a show good.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2013, 11:46 AM
(21-07-2013 11:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-07-2013 11:25 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I have to disagree a little. The ratings for all 6 seasons were pretty good (I think season 4 was considered the lowest rated -- but still stronger than many shows). The show did take some admittedly weird twists, which if you watched on tv became weirdly confusing. Also in the US, ABC fucked with the time slot -- 10pm on a Saturday I think was one of the moves...

The show was never supposed to go beyond 6 seasons. ABC bought the series knowing that. JJ Abrams and I can't remember who (I think it was a principle writer) said they knew exactly how the show would end from the beginning...ABC was annoyed with this and began streatching it out with doing weird stuff like holding back the season until after the Superbowl in February.

The DVD sales for Lost were really big, and ABC, when I last checked (a lomg while ago) still streams the show on their website (which is annoying -- because their website sucks), whereas other shows have been dropped.

Chas mentioned the woo -- and yes that did get tedious. But whatever -- it was also funny.

Ratings? Ratings don't make a show good.

True, but that also means the people who watched it, stuck with it.

I've seen it now a couple times now on Netflix. Yes, its a time waster -- something to watch when there's not much else on. I'll admit I don't watch a lot of regular TV.

It's really a classic cliff-hanger show. Weeds did that too a lot. So did Battlestar Galactica -- it had woo too...but it was weird and very different.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
21-07-2013, 11:47 AM
(21-07-2013 11:46 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(21-07-2013 11:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  Ratings? Ratings don't make a show good.

True, but that also means the people who watched it, stuck with it.

I've seen it now a couple times now on Netflix. Yes, its a time waster -- something to watch when there's not much else on. I'll admit I don't watch a lot of regular TV.

It's really a classic cliff-hanger show. Weeds did that too a lot. So did Battlestar Galactica -- it had woo too...but it was weird and very different.

I'm not against woo in fiction, but it's got to aid the story. They just threw shit against the wall in Lost.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-07-2013, 12:07 PM
(21-07-2013 11:47 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-07-2013 11:46 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  True, but that also means the people who watched it, stuck with it.

I'm not against woo in fiction, but it's got to aid the story. They just threw shit against the wall in Lost.

Did you ever watch the re-imagined Battlestar?? You might like it. It had woo --- but with a twist.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
21-07-2013, 02:20 PM
I started watching LOST again... Never made it past the second season before. I'm about half way through the series now, and it's pretty much like I remember. The writers were shocked to find the show was doing so well, and they had no idea where the show was going... and it seems LOST.

How I Met Your Mother is significantly better IMO.
21-07-2013, 02:28 PM
I never cared much for how I met your mother....found it a typical comedy.

21-07-2013, 02:35 PM
(21-07-2013 02:28 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I never cared much for how I met your mother....found it a typical comedy.

Neither did I, until I watched it from the beginning. I had caught an episode here and there... but it never really grabbed my attention until I started it on netflix
21-07-2013, 02:39 PM
(21-07-2013 02:35 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(21-07-2013 02:28 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I never cared much for how I met your mother....found it a typical comedy.

Neither did I, until I watched it from the beginning. I had caught an episode here and there... but it never really grabbed my attention until I started it on netflix

I watched like the first season...meh.

I wish House MD was on Netflix. I mean streaming...I hate renting series like that three disks at a time...

I'll have to find someone who bought them.

21-07-2013, 03:10 PM
(21-07-2013 02:39 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(21-07-2013 02:35 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Neither did I, until I watched it from the beginning. I had caught an episode here and there... but it never really grabbed my attention until I started it on netflix

I watched like the first season...meh.

I wish House MD was on Netflix. I mean streaming...I hate renting series like that three disks at a time...

I'll have to find someone who bought them.

TOO BAD, you don't like HIMYM, you cant borrow my HOUSE dvds Tongue
21-07-2013, 03:11 PM

I haven't been able to do situational comedies for some time, now. After Sam Kineson made a guest appearance on Married With Children playing an angel, after his own death? No other sitcom could ever hope to measure up Tongue
After a full season of Defiance, I think I'm done! Just,...meh. Dexter, and Magic City are still going now, but I don't know about any new stuff except Ray Donovan.
Probably try it next!

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post