I need a new book.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2011, 07:23 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2011 07:38 PM by NotSoVacuous.)
I need a new book.
I've currently read "The God delusion" "The Greatest show on earth" -Richard Dawkins and "God is not great" Christopher Hitchens.

Any recommendations? As long as the book is informative. Physics? Biology? Anti-Religion?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2011, 07:40 PM
RE: I need a new book.
I personally am reading the new Stephen King, which will be followed by the Hitchens book. But I found this which may be of some help.

http://www.booktalk.org/atheism-books.html

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-06-2011, 01:31 AM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2011 12:42 PM by Lilith Pride.)
I must've left this open and the cat got on the keyboard. Sorry about that.
I've not read too many atheist books, what I'm reading now is the people of the forest which is a great book on pygmies and gives you a bit of understanding towards African religions both magic based (Africans) and practical (pygmies). I like a wide range of subjects, and atheist literature is a new thing for me to read.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
13-06-2011, 10:32 AM
http://drunkwithblood.com/

Why won't God heal amputees?
13-06-2011, 10:49 AM
The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-06-2011, 02:49 PM
I bought "God is not great" by Christopher Hitchens today, and started reading. So far 100 pages in one bite (and got a sunburn to go with it). What a book!! I also bought "the god delusion" and "the reason for god" by Timothy Keller, just to make some balance. (and it was buy 3, pay for 2).

"Never underestimate how narrow-minded, petty and stupid people can be". Mark Fulton, forum member
15-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Pale Blue Dot ~ Carl Sagan

The Demon Haunted World ~ Carl Sagan

Some Mistakes of Moses ~ Robert Ingersol (available online for free)

Blasphemy (fiction) ~ Douglas Preston
17-06-2011, 07:47 AM

(13-06-2011 01:31 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I've not read too many atheist books, what I'm reading now is the people of the forest which is a great book on pygmies and gives you a bit of understanding towards African religions both magic based (Africans) and practical (pygmies).

Wow! Memories flood bach. I was assigned to read that in 1989 for an Antropology course I was forced to take. I probably would approach it drastically different today.
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2011, 01:24 PM

Essential reading for anyone who lives in Japan, where they have finished fleshing out their robots and giving them the outward appearance of females. Also a good read for anyone guilty of loving their Sybian (Wiki) and other so called "f*ck machines". Many people may have seen the recent documentaries on men who spend thousands of dollars on life-like replicants of females, the technology involved in making them is far beyond a simple blow-up doll.

Love+Sex with Robots, by David Levy

For people who occasionally feel guilty about embracing pop culture, I suggest you read the following book.

Hop on Pop: The Politics and Pleasures of Popular Culture, by Henry Jenkins III, Tara McPherson and Jane Shattuc
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2011, 04:44 AM
Carl Sagan's Demon Haunted World is a must read from what I've heard (I bought it but haven't had the time to read it.)
I'm currently reading Evolution: What the fossils says and Why it matters by Don Prothero.
Other good ones are The Portable Atheist by Christopher Hitchens (a collection of mostly philosophical writings relating to religion), Misquoting Jesus by Bart Ehrman, and Trick or Treatment by Simon Singh and Edzard Ernst.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I wrote my first book about atheism! billyinlights 4 89 05-07-2014 12:02 AM
Last Post: CindysRain
  What should I read / book club maybe? Smercury44 6 102 12-06-2014 09:26 PM
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  A book about contemporary humanism/atheism? Hejhejhej 2 65 13-05-2014 01:43 AM
Last Post: Banjo
  State Book - Louisiana raven48 1 62 15-04-2014 01:53 PM
Last Post: wazzel
  All encompassing book about science proplayer44 5 124 17-03-2014 11:23 AM
Last Post: Chas
  TTA Book club (god is not Great) TheBeardedDude 37 1,311 12-02-2014 10:10 PM
Last Post: sporehux
  Comic book reccomendations. FSM_scot 53 2,935 21-12-2013 05:36 PM
Last Post: Slowminded