I need advice: Ex-Christians only please

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2017, 02:47 AM
RE: I need advice: Ex-Christians only please
(04-01-2017 09:18 PM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  I'm currently a youth minister at my church... but I just recently became an atheist 2 months ago. I really want to reveal the truth to my church & quit living a lie, but my Christian family & friends are encouraging me to stay silent about it & just continue leading at the church. They say that I've influenced wayyy too many people to come out & say I don't believe in God anymore.
And I can't step down quietly... gossip spreads quickly in my church.

I partially agree with them, but I feel so hypocritical. I teach Sunday school, serve communion, & give public prayers knowing I don't believe any of this stuff. What should I do?

Why do you keep making posts saying "Ex christians only" I taught Sunday school for many years. I never said I was a christian (no on ever asked, they just assumed). I was raised in a religious community where something like me didn't technically exist, so I just kept my mouth shut for almost 30 years. I might have something of value to offer, but I am not an ex christian.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2017, 10:52 PM
RE: I need advice: Ex-Christians only please
There is a book called "Godless" by Dan Barker. He is a former minister and co-President of the Freedom from Religion Foundation. He discusses his transition from Christianity to atheism and how he struggled with the guilt of continuing to minister while knowing he no longer believed. I have never been a minister or other church leader, but I enjoyed his book. It was one of the first things I read as I began to question religion
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like beeglez's post