I need convincing pictures...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2014, 08:22 AM
RE: I need convincing pictures...
Not being able to reconcile a good god with the suffering, not being able to reconcile the "power of prayer" failing the people who needed it most "I'm so blessed, The Lord helped me find my car keys this morning - power of prayer y'all"... This is a huge part of what made me lose my faith. Of course there were lots of reasons , but this is what made me start looking for other answers. I don't think a lot of people can wrap their heads around thousands of kids starving to death each day. It's "just" a statistic. Seeing suffering in person made it more real for me. I can't reconcile a good god with the tragedies I've seen. Some of my coworkers yesterday were droning on about the power of prayer and the "God's Not Dead" movie and song. I had to walk away.

[Image: 037-Remember-this-image-650x734.jpg]

Deconversion is multi-faceted. I have family members that have gone on mission trips to Haiti and various countries in Africa, but they still hold onto "god is good."

[Image: hC3F3C665]

My parents made me go on a mission trip to Mexico when I was in high school. We went to a really impoverished area where we built a church because the town didn't have one. We drove past dozens of communities built out of scrap aluminum and plastic. At the next town over we held a vacation bible school for the children. It hadn't rained in 2 years and no one had bathed in months because the town well was running dry and each family was limited to one bucket of water per week. Those people didn't need Jesus, they needed food and water.

[Image: 008-Thank-you-for-your-prayers.jpg]

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post