I need help - How many Muslims are fundamentalists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2015, 07:09 PM
I need help - How many Muslims are fundamentalists?
I really need to know this. Basically my girlfriend hates Islam (for obvious reasons) and she is in a class about multiculturalism, so her professor accused her of being Islamophobic because she showed dislike towards the religion of Islam and the consequences attached to it. He proceeded to tell her that Muslim fundies are only 0.1% of the population of Muslims. He also told her that discriminating based on religion is equally bad as discriminating based on race or gender (forgetting that people do choose religion but not things like race)

I have doubts that fundies are so little in number. She needs to prove him wrong, obviously - So, can anyone tell me where to find sources? Anything will help

I'm not sure about this but I think he got the sources from the council that deals with Muslims' human rights issues, so I doubt it's reliable.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2015, 07:22 PM
RE: I need help - How many Muslims are fundamentalists?
My only thought is that if 99.9% of the Muslim population is not fundie, shouldn't they be able to drive the .1% into the ground? Or at least have a very loud outspoken voice against them?
Kinda makes me think either that .1% is significantly higher, or most of the other 99.9% are ok with what the .1% are doing.

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like LostLocke's post
06-03-2015, 07:28 PM
30% by our standards, 7% by theirs...of 1.6 billion people...

Dalia Mogahed and John Esposito co-authored the book "Who Speaks for Islam" which grew out of a 2008 survey conducted by the Gallup polling agency, which was intended to answer this very question.
Unfortunately, the controversy-riddled Dalia Mogahed and John Esposito are both Islam apologists, so there is little surprise that they had to "cook the books" in order to create the desired results.
The authors claim only 7 percent of the world's Muslims are "political radicals". Yet in order to reach this figure, they were forced to term Muslims who think 9/11 was "partially" or "some way justified", who want to impose Shari'ah law, who support suicide bombings, and who oppose equal rights for women, as "moderate" followers of Islam.
-----------------------------------------------
So from their own scholars, over 7%, 7% of 1.6 billion is a lot of radical thinking muslims, and guess what is the fastest growing religion in America? Islam. When you factor in the numbers of those they classified as moderate, but in actuality should have been classified as radical thinkers, it is over 30%.
----------------------------------------------
According to the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, the World Christian Database as of 2007 Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world.

More than 95 percent of all suicide bombing attacks conducted worldwide are carried out by Muslim extremists

Ref: Amir Lechner - “Changing Tack” The Ever-Changing Profile of the Suicide Bomber

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 6 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
06-03-2015, 07:41 PM
Surprised the guy admitted Muslim fundies existed instead of declaring they were just pretending to be Muslims.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
06-03-2015, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2015 08:01 PM by Rahn127.)
Have her show these to the teacher.
Moderate Muslims are extremists.
15-25% fundamental. 180-300 million.
That's the population of the United States on the high end.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
06-03-2015, 08:49 PM
Thanks a lot to everyone, all sources have been useful Smile

I'll help her kill (I mean - Refute...) this bastard

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything" - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Blackout's post
06-03-2015, 09:02 PM
(06-03-2015 07:22 PM)LostLocke Wrote:  My only thought is that if 99.9% of the Muslim population is not fundie, shouldn't they be able to drive the .1% into the ground? Or at least have a very loud outspoken voice against them?
Kinda makes me think either that .1% is significantly higher, or most of the other 99.9% are ok with what the .1% are doing.

Let's flip this around a little. To an outsider, if you didn't know the number of YEC in America was low, you'd swear our whole country is.

The majority doesn't care what they think.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-03-2015, 10:17 PM
(06-03-2015 07:09 PM)Blackout Wrote:  I really need to know this. Basically my girlfriend hates Islam (for obvious reasons) and she is in a class about multiculturalism, so her professor accused her of being Islamophobic because she showed dislike towards the religion of Islam and the consequences attached to it. He proceeded to tell her that Muslim fundies are only 0.1% of the population of Muslims. He also told her that discriminating based on religion is equally bad as discriminating based on race or gender (forgetting that people do choose religion but not things like race)

I have doubts that fundies are so little in number. She needs to prove him wrong, obviously - So, can anyone tell me where to find sources? Anything will help

I'm not sure about this but I think he got the sources from the council that deals with Muslims' human rights issues, so I doubt it's reliable.

Oooh... If I had to guess, I'd say about 12?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-03-2015, 10:41 PM
Define "fundamentalist". Define "moderate".
(hell - define "Muslim")

Recall that in many places people are not actually free to answer those sorts of questions. Notwithstanding that it's far more useful to look into why people hold (or espouse, which is, again, a very different thing from acting on) such beliefs.

... this is my signature!
07-03-2015, 12:21 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2015 12:05 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(06-03-2015 07:09 PM)Blackout Wrote:  I really need to know this. Basically my girlfriend hates Islam (for obvious reasons) and she is in a class about multiculturalism, so her professor accused her of being Islamophobic because she showed dislike towards the religion of Islam and the consequences attached to it. He proceeded to tell her that Muslim fundies are only 0.1% of the population of Muslims. He also told her that discriminating based on religion is equally bad as discriminating based on race or gender (forgetting that people do choose religion but not things like race)

Obviously her teacher never read the Quran. Trying to make Islam acceptable in 2015 is like putting lipstick on a pig. The Quran has a lot of violent hateful garbage. The only way to "dress it up" is to deny the words in their holy book. I'd ask him to show you the polls or studies that show what he claims. I suspect there is no such thing as "Islam". It's probably like Christianity, and there are probably thousands of variations.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post