I need help - How many Muslims are fundamentalists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2015, 04:37 PM
RE: I need help - How many Muslims are fundamentalists?
(08-03-2015 04:07 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 03:52 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  As an aside --

News media, law enforcement, and the very organizations themselves all have reasons for tweaking the numbers.

A "for instance" --

Back in the 90's there was the "Michigan Militia" movement started up by Norm Olson and his merry crew here in Michigan. A bit of a whackadoodle --- but, his intent was honorable.. I met the guy, and I do know what I'm talking about here.........

The news media - up to national syndication -- covered the "Militia" movement ---- they just loved getting pictures of guys in camo, toting AK's and AR platform rifles --- out in the woods doing "maneuvers".... NATIONAL news media put the numbers at 600,000 or more in the "Michigan Militia".....

Move the decimal point a couple to the left and you'd be closer. I KNOW what I'm talking about here. I was there. I saw, and met these people --- some of who were certifiable....

The "Militia" members liked the inflated numbers -- as did the news media.... Face it -- a couple of hundred guys (maybe a couple thousand) doesn't make as good of copy as a half million.........

So --- I think it's safe to say, there's probably less of a threat from "Islamic Fundies" than the powers that be would like you to think.....

All the players have an agenda....

Very much so - but with the caveat that far from going full-bore "lol conspiracy" with it, the primary motivation of most news agencies is not anything in anyway collusive, but merely "tell a bigger story".

And this generalises to a hell of a lot of other agencies and groups up the line. An intelligence agency submitting their annual budget is not going to include the statement, "the planet is more peaceful today than it has ever been in recorded history", even though that's true.

Quite true. Budgetary pressures do some strange things on government employees..... I recall one time buying 20 years worth of carbon paper - simply because we had money to spend.......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2015, 04:39 PM
(08-03-2015 04:37 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 04:07 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Very much so - but with the caveat that far from going full-bore "lol conspiracy" with it, the primary motivation of most news agencies is not anything in anyway collusive, but merely "tell a bigger story".

And this generalises to a hell of a lot of other agencies and groups up the line. An intelligence agency submitting their annual budget is not going to include the statement, "the planet is more peaceful today than it has ever been in recorded history", even though that's true.

Quite true. Budgetary pressures do some strange things on government employees..... I recall one time buying 20 years worth of carbon paper - simply because we had money to spend.......

I worked once for a nonprofit that did the same thing.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

08-03-2015, 04:42 PM
(08-03-2015 04:39 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 04:37 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Quite true. Budgetary pressures do some strange things on government employees..... I recall one time buying 20 years worth of carbon paper - simply because we had money to spend.......

And you'd THINK they have more sense.....

GSA people, you expect that sort of nonsense......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
08-03-2015, 04:48 PM
Well each Muslim fundamentalist could have completely contrasting views anyway. It's kind of a paradoxical term. I.E, MLK was a Christian fundamentalist and a pacifist, although the bible contains many violent fundamentals.

I hate using that term because it creates so many problems. Another example is that if a holy book consisted of 99% violent verses and then one peaceful verse such as "don't do harm to others", would a fundamentalist of that religion be peaceful or violent? Does the 99% carry weight over the 1%?

Another thing to note is that fundamentalism is not actually the problem with religions, it's the fundamentals themselves which are. I think I saw Sam Harris use this example before, Fundamentalist Jains are the most peaceful people on earth as the fundamentals of Jainism are 100% about peace.

How one interprets the text is also another issue.

I prefer to use the term radical.

Altogether I think I can conclude that because of these issues, holy books are a fucking waste of time.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
[+] 2 users Like SunnyD1's post
08-03-2015, 04:53 PM
But at the end of the fiscal year they have to spend every dime they make, so yeah they'd redo the offices, expand offices, replace landscaping, carpets...

Anything but hire or give employees a bonus.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

08-03-2015, 09:02 PM
(06-03-2015 07:09 PM)Blackout Wrote:  I really need to know this. Basically my girlfriend hates Islam (for obvious reasons) and she is in a class about multiculturalism, so her professor accused her of being Islamophobic because she showed dislike towards the religion of Islam and the consequences attached to it. He proceeded to tell her that Muslim fundies are only 0.1% of the population of Muslims. He also told her that discriminating based on religion is equally bad as discriminating based on race or gender (forgetting that people do choose religion but not things like race)

I have doubts that fundies are so little in number. She needs to prove him wrong, obviously - So, can anyone tell me where to find sources? Anything will help

I'm not sure about this but I think he got the sources from the council that deals with Muslims' human rights issues, so I doubt it's reliable.
Quick synapses, the problem with fundamental Muslims is the fundamentals of Islam are violent.
Tell me were you live, country?

I can quote you stats and give you sources, I'll assume UK for now. I've done soooo much research and have a lot of off hand knowledge, I shlt on motherfukers that try and call me Islamophobe. I don't walk around with pages of source material, but as soon as I starting quoting stats off hand they know to shut the hell up.

Be weary of history buffs though, they be slippery.

"78% of Muslims thought that the publishers of the Danish cartoons of the Prophet Muhammed should be prosecuted, 68% thought those who insulted Islam should be prosecuted and 62% of people disagree that freedom of speech should be allowed"

"NOP characterised 9% of the Muslims they surveyed as “hardcore Islamists” – people who thought that it was perfectly okay to speak in support of terrorism, but thought people should be prosecuted for insulting Islam."

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/291
[+] 1 user Likes DuffMan's post
08-03-2015, 09:54 PM
(08-03-2015 03:35 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 11:17 AM)Ace Wrote:  muslim - a person following the teaching of a mass murdering, bigoted, pedophile, misogynist, anti-human rights, war mongering asshole who claims to have had direct communication with his personal sky fairy or the short version of a person following the teachings of a guy named Muhammad

did I get that right ?

Not... as such...

I mean, notwithstanding the many people I've met over my years, some of whom have been quite close to me, who both self-profess to be Muslims and yet are neither mass murderers, nor bigoted, nor pedophiles, nor misogynists, nor anti-human rights, nor war-mongerers, nor assholes.

As to being under the delusion of having direction communication with higher powers, well; that's hardly a unique fault. Which I can, and, indeed, do, find to be a fault - but it needn't necessarily imply anything whatsoever about their conduct in any other sphere.

Yabut, were they True Muslims™? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-03-2015, 09:57 PM
(08-03-2015 04:39 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 04:37 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Quite true. Budgetary pressures do some strange things on government employees..... I recall one time buying 20 years worth of carbon paper - simply because we had money to spend.......

Wow, you'd almost think that was human nature. Consider

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-03-2015, 10:00 PM
(08-03-2015 04:48 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Well each Muslim fundamentalist could have completely contrasting views anyway. It's kind of a paradoxical term. I.E, MLK was a Christian fundamentalist and a pacifist, although the bible contains many violent fundamentals.

I hate using that term because it creates so many problems. Another example is that if a holy book consisted of 99% violent verses and then one peaceful verse such as "don't do harm to others", would a fundamentalist of that religion be peaceful or violent? Does the 99% carry weight over the 1%?

Another thing to note is that fundamentalism is not actually the problem with religions, it's the fundamentals themselves which are. I think I saw Sam Harris use this example before, Fundamentalist Jains are the most peaceful people on earth as the fundamentals of Jainism are 100% about peace.

How one interprets the text is also another issue.

I prefer to use the term radical.

Altogether I think I can conclude that because of these issues, holy books are a fucking waste of time.

MLK was clearly a liberal Christian, not a fundamentalist.

09-03-2015, 01:00 AM
(06-03-2015 07:28 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  30% by our standards, 7% by theirs...of 1.6 billion people...

Dalia Mogahed and John Esposito co-authored the book "Who Speaks for Islam" which grew out of a 2008 survey conducted by the Gallup polling agency, which was intended to answer this very question.
Unfortunately, the controversy-riddled Dalia Mogahed and John Esposito are both Islam apologists, so there is little surprise that they had to "cook the books" in order to create the desired results.
The authors claim only 7 percent of the world's Muslims are "political radicals". Yet in order to reach this figure, they were forced to term Muslims who think 9/11 was "partially" or "some way justified", who want to impose Shari'ah law, who support suicide bombings, and who oppose equal rights for women, as "moderate" followers of Islam.
-----------------------------------------------
So from their own scholars, over 7%, 7% of 1.6 billion is a lot of radical thinking muslims, and guess what is the fastest growing religion in America? Islam. When you factor in the numbers of those they classified as moderate, but in actuality should have been classified as radical thinkers, it is over 30%.
----------------------------------------------
According to the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, the World Christian Database as of 2007 Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world.

More than 95 percent of all suicide bombing attacks conducted worldwide are carried out by Muslim extremists

Ref: Amir Lechner - “Changing Tack” The Ever-Changing Profile of the Suicide Bomber

The next dark ages are coming.

Truth seeker.